Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Annoying customers

Announcements Posted on
The Careers section needs more moderators! 21-04-2014
TSR wants you: get involved with Power Hour. 10-04-2014
Interview discussion rules - please read before posting! 12-01-2013
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Can't believe I haven't posted in this thread before. I work in McDonalds, in a fairly rough town so we get some right characters in. My store also seems to have a real problem with teenagers, especially with it being half term this week. Often I'll have the same people come up to the counter, and they only ever order a drink or mcflurry. They'll sit in the restaurant for hours on end and take up loads of tables. It got to the point tonight where families wanting to sit down and eat a meal couldn't find somewhere to sit because we had so many teenagers taking up tables and not actually eating anything. The manager told some they had to leave, so they did and five minutes later they came back in.

The other thing I really hate is people not listening to what I'm saying. I got put on headset in window 3, where as well as taking orders I have to get the drinks together for orders. It was going fine when I was just doing fizzy/hot drinks, but then when I had to get shakes and blended ice drinks it gets difficult as they're on front counter, so I can't really take an order at the same time. Ended up having to ask some people to just bear with me a second before I take their order and they just carried on anyway, meaning I had to drop what I was doing to get back to my till. which then slows up the rest of drive thru. Was particularly annoying when this happened just as an order for 4 blended ice drinks came through.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stripes23)
    My store also seems to have a real problem with teenagers, especially with it being half term this week. Often I'll have the same people come up to the counter, and they only ever order a drink or mcflurry. They'll sit in the restaurant for hours on end and take up loads of tables. It got to the point tonight where families wanting to sit down and eat a meal couldn't find somewhere to sit because we had so many teenagers taking up tables and not actually eating anything. The manager told some they had to leave, so they did and five minutes later they came back in.
    We have these in KFC too, when we kick them out they come back with 'we'll go to maccies then', like we care. Normally the same ones throwing fries around and holding the door open to chat to their mates smoking when it's cold.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why is it so hard for customers in cars to read signs that are right in front of them??

2 signs positioned directly in front of you when you drive in the petrol station saying we have no diesel on xxx pumps & no unleaded on xxx pumps.

You get the ones that drive in so fast, that don't realise until they get to the pumps and see all the out of order sings. And then the ones that get out the car, open the fuel cap THEN see there is none on that pump!
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    This was a while ago but it needs saying. It was a busy Saturday in November and I was covering on the menswear fitting rooms for someone's break (normally I'd be on the Home department). A woman comes to the fitting room with a pile of packaged formal shirts and demands that her son be allowed to try them all on.
    I explained politely that we can't take the shirts out of the packaging because we have to send them away once they've been taken out to be repacked and it's expensive and we basically don't have enough stock for everyone to try on 4 shirts in a 15 1/2 inch collar. I explained that we have try on shirts in different sizes and fits to get an idea of what would fit before it was purchased but she kept arguing with me saying

"it's for his UNIVERSITY interview you know!!" Over and over, empahasising the word university like I didn't know what it was. Eventually I fetched my manager and she explained the rules etc and the boy tried on a few styles and fits with the blazer he wanted to wear for us interview etc.

As they were finishing up I politely asked "so what university are you going for?" His mother puffed up and said "Warwick to do MATHS!" To which I replied "oh that's nice, I'm doing a Masters in Politics and History at Nottingham university at the moment." After that she was nice as pie and thanked me profusely for my help. Snob.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Haha it probably isn't a good thing I have found this thread, I have multiple stories from being a part time McWorker for almost 4 years!

Highlight was a couple of months ago, on the till. The lady asks for a black coffee, I give her a black coffee, ask of she wanted any milk or sugar (as some customers don't like the hot milk) ... She went wild! Along the lines of 'Are you an idiot, I asked for black coffee why the **** would I want milk, stop being so ****ing stupid. I just stood there smiling and went 'So no milk for you today then', she looked less than impressed.

I've also had to call the police once, working on the dining area, two men and two boys came in. I was tidying up and the boys were spitting those disgusting straw spit balls everywhere. I asked them to stop it and the fathers were like 'they can do what they want, you're there to pick it up' (nice parenting) anyway after I explained it was not in my job role to pick up people's spit I walked away, turned around and one of the dads spat one at me, I told them to get out. They refused to move, kept calling me lots of disgusting stuff and then started smearing ketchup over the counter. Went and told my manager, got a shrug with 'tell them to leave then' so I rang the police as no one else was going to do anything, they swiftly moved when the police arrived.

I do wonder why I am still there after all this time, but on the plus side, there is never a dull shift!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I was in the stockroom today, so all I do is get shoes radio'd through and I pull them and take them out to someone to serve.

One of my colleagues asked me for a laced adidas ttrainer in a size 3 that we didn't have but I noticed we had the same shoe in Velcro so took it out as an alternative. We're encouraged to offer alternatives and since it was the exact same shoe just Velcro they'd like it.

So I took the shoe out and explained to the woman the situation as my colleague was busy with a customer. Turns out the shoe was for the woman and not a kid like I'd assumed (you have no idea when you're just pulling shoes all day and not seeing the customers.

Fair enough a fully grown woman doesn't want Velcro but she started shouting at me saying 'I asked for a laced shoe, why the hell would I want Velcro' once again I explained I was just offering an alternative to help her out and she continued to shout, calling me a useless little child (I'm 20!) and as I walked back into the stockroom she turned to ny colleague and said 'I can't believe your company hires such idiots, why would I want a Velcro shoe?!'

Luckily every other customer through the day liked my alternatives
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thatg)
    Why is it so hard for customers in cars to read signs that are right in front of them??

2 signs positioned directly in front of you when you drive in the petrol station saying we have no diesel on xxx pumps & no unleaded on xxx pumps.

You get the ones that drive in so fast, that don't realise until they get to the pumps and see all the out of order sings. And then the ones that get out the car, open the fuel cap THEN see there is none on that pump!
    I totally agree about people not reading the signs.
    A good example is when we do the promotional stuff at mcdonalds. E.g. big tasty burgers, onion rings etc. Occasionally we run out of those items, mainly near the end of the promotion (for example only a few days left). And since it is nearly the end of the promotion and we will be doing new promotional food soon, theres no point ordering in loads more.
    Anyway, we put "sold out" stickers on the menu boards on the things we have sold out of. People can quite clearly see them so they have plenty of chance to choose something else instead. People will get to the till and ask for them (despite seeing the stickers) and look shocked when i say we have sold out. Or people will say something like "have you sold out of x burgers?"- No mate, we have just put the stickers there for the fun of it.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma:-))
    I totally agree about people not reading the signs.
    A good example is when we do the promotional stuff at mcdonalds. E.g. big tasty burgers, onion rings etc. Occasionally we run out of those items, mainly near the end of the promotion (for example only a few days left). And since it is nearly the end of the promotion and we will be doing new promotional food soon, theres no point ordering in loads more.
    Anyway, we put "sold out" stickers on the menu boards on the things we have sold out of. People can quite clearly see them so they have plenty of chance to choose something else instead. People will get to the till and ask for them (despite seeing the stickers) and look shocked when i say we have sold out. Or people will say something like "have you sold out of x burgers?"- No mate, we have just put the stickers there for the fun of it.
    We had our grills break once, so we couldn't do any sausage over breakfast then any beef products. We literally had signs plastered everywhere explaining. Drive thru, front doors, on the tills, on the menu boards.. Yet we still had people asking for it and getting arseache when we explained. THE SIGNS WERE LITERALLY RIGHT IN FRONT OF THEIR FACES.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Genuinely had the following conversation with a customer on tills:

Him: "Snack box."
    Me: "Which one? We have the one piece, popcorn chicken, mini breast fillet or hot wings."
    Him: "The £1.99 one."
    Me: "They're all £1.99."
    Him: "Um, what were the choices again?"
    Me: "There's the one piece which is chicken on the bone, popcorn chicken, mini breast fillet which is the boneless piece of chicken or hot wings."
    Him: "Don't you have one that isn't spicy?"
    Me: "Only the hot wing one is spicy, the other three - chicken on the bone, popcorn chicken or boneless chicken - are not."
    Him: "Do you do a boneless one?"
    Me: "You want the mini breast fillet, which is a piece of boneless chicken?"
    Him: "Yes."

And then it turned out he wanted the popcorn one... :facepalm:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I was tidying up an aisle near the end of the day today when a customer placed an item he didn't want in the completely wrong place (and on the part of the aisle I had already tidied) whilst saying to me "At least you have something to do now" like he was doing me a favour! I was already doing something by tidying!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    "I used to work nightshift in a bottleshop in a small country town, and of course we'd get some crazy stuff, and ridiculous threats from customers if we refused to serve them. Everyone knew everyone else in town, so nothing usually came of it. Usually.
    One night my boss had just gone for a smoke out the back as it was quiet and we were closing up, and a well known belligerent customer walked in. Customer was almost always drunk, so almost always was refused service, this time he wasn't too bad, but I wasn't taking any chances and booted him out.

Next thing i know he walks back in and tries to pick a fight, usual toughguy bullcrap. I refuse, saying I'm just doing my job and I'm too old for picking fights, I've got kids etc. Drunk responds with "Well I'm gonna break into your house and slit your kids throats while I **** your missus". I smacked him in the head and knocked him to the ground. As I'm calling the cops informing them of his name and the threats he made, he gets up and walks away, can't legally stop anyone from leaving so nothing I can do.
    Boss walks back in, I explain what happened, and I'm frazzled, so I race home. 5 minutes later I'm almost home and see police cars and their lights flashing, naturally I panic.
    Finally get there to see my neighbour standing next to a bunch of cops and belligerent drunk handcuffed with both his legs at strange angles. Turns out drunk had shown up at my house, started screaming threats, and my high as a kite druggie neighbour came out with a bat and beat the **** out of him and broke both his legs, with the cops arriving just before I did. Sometimes they're drunk enough to try and follow through with their threats."
    Found this the other day here

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/insan...#ixzz2v8nppg2M
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lomatecarap)
    "I used to work nightshift in a bottleshop in a small country town, and of course we'd get some crazy stuff, and ridiculous threats from customers if we refused to serve them. Everyone knew everyone else in town, so nothing usually came of it. Usually.
    One night my boss had just gone for a smoke out the back as it was quiet and we were closing up, and a well known belligerent customer walked in. Customer was almost always drunk, so almost always was refused service, this time he wasn't too bad, but I wasn't taking any chances and booted him out.

Next thing i know he walks back in and tries to pick a fight, usual toughguy bullcrap. I refuse, saying I'm just doing my job and I'm too old for picking fights, I've got kids etc. Drunk responds with "Well I'm gonna break into your house and slit your kids throats while I **** your missus". I smacked him in the head and knocked him to the ground. As I'm calling the cops informing them of his name and the threats he made, he gets up and walks away, can't legally stop anyone from leaving so nothing I can do.
    Boss walks back in, I explain what happened, and I'm frazzled, so I race home. 5 minutes later I'm almost home and see police cars and their lights flashing, naturally I panic.
    Finally get there to see my neighbour standing next to a bunch of cops and belligerent drunk handcuffed with both his legs at strange angles. Turns out drunk had shown up at my house, started screaming threats, and my high as a kite druggie neighbour came out with a bat and beat the **** out of him and broke both his legs, with the cops arriving just before I did. Sometimes they're drunk enough to try and follow through with their threats."
    Found this the other day here

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/insan...#ixzz2v8nppg2M
    Bloody hell.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Customers who expect you to be able to call someone else to help with the queue when there is only the two of you.

There was no queue so I went to phone someone to come from the main store to the petrol station to do our breaks, I get back to my till(there is a queue now) and start serving someone and a guy walks up and asks me to call someone else to get on a till as the queue is to the door. I tell him that I can't call anyone else because there is no one else to call.

I made sure I didn't serve him, but my he said the same thing to my colleague.

We would've had another person in, but we can't help it if someone calls in sick.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma:-))
    Is there anyone on the student room who works in a shop, supermarket, restaurant etc and had really annoying customers.

I work in mcdonalds and we have had our fair share. One threatened to throw a brick with a bacon and egg mcmuffin selotaped to it through the window because he had apparently had a burnt one in the past and apparently the one he had on this occasion was burnt too (it wasnt at all) He never did throw it through the window.
    I work in Poundland...every shift I get asked, "How much is this?"
    Annoying at times but I love working there!
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Never being so infuriated by a woman in my life!

I work solely on the make-up department for a big supernarket.
    We have TESTERS for people to try out the make-up.
    Obviously they are there to be used.
    But oh no, this woman does her WHOLE FACE of make-up using actual products that were sealed.
    We asked her to stop.
    Does she? No just carries on but stands on the other side of the isle acting like me and a colleague weren't there.
    I had to stand there for half an hour and watch what she used as we now have to waste all the products shes opened as we cant sell them on

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by parry_93)
    Never being so infuriated by a woman in my life!

I work solely on the make-up department for a big supernarket.
    We have TESTERS for people to try out the make-up.
    Obviously they are there to be used.
    But oh no, this woman does her WHOLE FACE of make-up using actual products that were sealed.
    We asked her to stop.
    Does she? No just carries on but stands on the other side of the isle acting like me and a colleague weren't there.
    I had to stand there for half an hour and watch what she used as we now have to waste all the products shes opened as we cant sell them on

Posted from TSR Mobile
    As a customer this annoys me I was in boots once and bought a concealer, idiot I was didn't check, turned out it had been used even though it wasn't where the testers are

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    "can I use these vouchers?"
    "not yet I'm afraid they become valid on <insert date a few weeks in the future>"
    "Why would you send me vouchers before i can use them?"
    "we send them in advance so you know you'll be able to use them soon"
    "But I want to buy this stuff now"
    "you can...just not with the vouchers at the moment"
    "So why send me them before i can use them"
    "we send them so you know in advance..so you don't miss the dates..."
    "Well why didn't you send me them after the starting date?"
    "They have an expiry date, sending them later means risking them expiring before you can use-...please stop throwing hangers at me"

Also:
    "do you have this in a size 18?"
    "no We don't sorry"
    "how do you know, you didn't go check the stock room"
    "I stocked it this morning, all of <those> are out, there's none downstairs"
    "Go check anyway"
    " we don't have any"
    "How can you not have any, your shop is specifically for bigger women"
    "and so all our customers are looking for the same size as yourself, the size 18's sell out quite fast, we can let you know when we get more or you can order online and have it delivered instore for free"
    "no it's fine i'll go to <competitor store>

Bitch.

¬.¬
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SortYourLife)
    As a customer this annoys me I was in boots once and bought a concealer, idiot I was didn't check, turned out it had been used even though it wasn't where the testers are

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I always check now, its so annoying!
    And lipsticks too, when people smush them all into the lid! Grrrrr
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    The car park on Saturdays. People driving around looking for a place to park up front. Just park at the back & walk your fat arse up there.

(Original post by Care-Free)
    "
    Also:
    "do you have this in a size 18?"
    "no We don't sorry"
    "how do you know, you didn't go check the stock room"
    "I stocked it this morning, all of <those> are out, there's none downstairs"
    "Go check anyway"
    " we don't have any"
    ¬.¬
    We haven't had 1L Cravendale for a couple of weeks. We took off the sign & refilled the shelf with another product, customers asks if we have any; "No, we haven't had any for the last two weeks now" "How do you know, you didn't even check the warehouse. You're horrible at your job, what a disgrace for a big supermarket".

Partly why I dislike the public & having to serve them is because they are imbeciles with brains the size of a walnut. In their mind 'the customer is always right' even when they are clearly wrong.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Silver Arrows)
    The car park on Saturdays. People driving around looking for a place to park up front. Just park at the back & walk your fat arse up there.

We haven't had 1L Cravendale for a couple of weeks. We took off the sign & refilled the shelf with another product, customers asks if we have any; "No, we haven't had any for the last two weeks now" "How do you know, you didn't even check the warehouse. You're horrible at your job, what a disgrace for a big supermarket".

Partly why I dislike the public & having to serve them is because they are imbeciles with brains the size of a walnut. In their mind 'the customer is always right' even when they are clearly wrong.
    Haha it is very annoying, I usually go down to the stock room and just stand around for a while before going back up to tell them for the billionth time that we don't have iit

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: April 16, 2014
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.