The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I work in a pub and the most annoying ones are the people who tell the standard jokes you hear all the time. Like, I pour a Guinness, and like all Guinness it has a high head (white bit on top!) and its always the same joke "Can i get a flake with that?"

do these people seriously think theyre funny? or that theyre being original? that I've never heard it before ever? after youve heard the same bad joke i dont know how many times, 200, you just want a to kill. especially when you hear it several times in the same night.

Another one is an annoying person, not a customer. But we have a small bus stop where I live, only one bus uses it about 4 times a day. So I'm standing there at the bus stop, and the amount of times someone comes up and goes, has the bus gone yet? Its like yes mate, I regulary stand at bus stops for fun all day and watch buses go by. what do you think?! If it was a busier bus stop, or in a town or something, I'd understand. but a single small one, come on people, think first.
i love the customers at my shop. i am very lucky by the sounds of it. i just dont let anything get to me even if i do get an idiot...meh, it only irritates you if you let it
Reply 122
*old bloke comes in dressed in a blazer with military medals on*
Me: Do you need any help at all sir?
Him: Don't call me sir! I'm not your squadron leader, son.
:s-smilie: Later got a written complaint about it.

*businessman comes up to me*
Him: What's the difference between a Zune and an Ipod.
Me: Well, in terms of features not too much. I'm not personally familiar with the Zune but you need to use proprietary with either one.
Him: What? Can you go away and get someone who's not a f****** idiot.
Me: :eek: ...right

The unwittingly annoying customers were the one's who came in asking for a Sony TV, but a Bravia one. Sony don't make anything but Bravia TV's...it's like saying you want to watch a Charlton game but the Athletic one.

Strangely customers love having numbers to tell them what is good. Tried telling a woman that the wattage of a stereo is utterly misleading and just to listen to the difference between a Bose and Sony stereo.
She said I was trying to con her...
22KT22
I work in a coffee shop and i get my fair share of annoying customers.

theres one guy who comes in and only grunts to anyone whos female but if you're male he'll speak to you/acknowledge you existance.
we give discount to those who work at the council and the fact that the council people think its their right not a priveledge annoy me especially if they are rude about it.
people who just point and expect me to know what they are pointing at.
people who think im stupid cause i work full time at a coffee shop (im on a gap year)
People who are just generally rude.
People who order something and say we got it wrong when in fact they ordered the wrong thing... its not my fault.
the fact that the majority of adults seem incapable of tucking in their chairs so means i spend a good 30mins of my day doing this :frown:
people who spill stuff and dont tell us.
people who are racist towards my staff.

There are some lovely ones too who make my job worthwhile and the funny ones that make it bareable.

but surely that means you owns the joint:cool: :cool:
The customers that always make the joke "Oh does that mean it's free?" if an item doesn't scan. If only I had a pound for each time I've heard that one...
scaryhair
The customers that always make the joke "Oh does that mean it's free?" if an item doesn't scan. If only I had a pound for each time I've heard that one...

And every single time you have to go "HAHAHAHAHAHA :biggrin:" :rolleyes:
I work in currys and we always get customers coming in saying they have lost their receipt and if we can find the details for them. I spend 20 minutes trying to find a receipt explaining to the customer that they didnt buy it from the store. Everything gets heated then the customer says, 'O' is this currys, I bought it from COMET'.

I also don't agree with customers who come in and say 'i've always shopped in currys'. Thank you for your loyalty and custom but that doesn't mean im going to give you the television for free.
Reply 127
scaryhair

Oh God yes! I HATE that. And the fake laugh and smile you have to put on every damn time :mad:
Reply 128
i was working in hmv stock room and this guy rings up every single day just to annoy the stock manager, this time he put him on speaker and he asked for "the cherry", turns out he meant andrea bocelli :facepalm2:
I used to work in a self service cafe in a museum, it made me realise how stupid some people are.

One customer shouted at me saying i'd added things to her bill as it 'couldn't be that expensive' (it was!!), so I handed her the receipt. After she looked through it and realised I was right, she started shouting more saying i'd thrown the recipt at her (bearing in mind it was cheap, thin paper and couldn't have been more than 6cm long. She was also standing 4/5 feet away!!).

When we had to evacuate the building for whatever reason, there would ALWAYS be a few customers who would ask if they could 'just finish their meal' or 'just buy this bottle of drink and a cake'. I really wanted to say to them 'fine, but if you burn to death, don't blame me'.

There's many more, but it'd take all day!!
I'm a Pizza Delivery Driver, and to all those who get threatened at work in shops, cafes etc. Be grateful that you have managers and CCTV on hand to help and at least provide some form of security. Twice I've had people get threatening because their order is cold or wrong, and when its on their doorstep it's just your word against theirs. That can be a real test of wits.

One thing i'm surprised no-one has mentioned yet is the classic line "I know it's not your fault but" followed by a rant about anything and everything that they care to think of. Great! It's not my fault, then don't tell me about it!
Co-op. We have some characters.
Reply 132
Oh, and the customers who think they have priority of service to talk to me about their ****** £100 bike in for a service when I'm making a £500 sale with another person. Then complain about service when there's just ME, no one else, to look after the Bikehut till, do sales, and try and get repairs out on time. Seriously. Give me a break. Although, I have to say, the majority of customers are very understanding. I get a lot of nice customers, although the customers I do get in that are annoyed, are incredibly assy as there's usually at least £100 involved, sometimes double or treble that.
I've never experienced anything too bad
Most of the guests seem quite polite and friendly, but some of the drunker ones say some random things...such as once this one woman asked me if I preferred red wine or sex. Oh and I usually get asked if I'm foreign, polish and french are the most common. But I wouldn't exactly find this rude. I find the staff ruder!
I used to work in a library and when shelving the fiction books I would put them in order on the trolley first. Without failure, every single time I went to shelve a few at least one person would pounce on the trolley, pick up a book and would either dump it back on the top, or put it back in the wrong order. Sounds like a little thing, but it was so annoying!

Not really annoying, but one day a woman wanted books to help explain 'the birds and the bees' to her son and after I showed her where to find them she spent ages going on about how he had been asking a lot of questions and she wasn't sure what to say to him, how he was at 'that age'. It was a really random conversation to have in the middle of the childrens section!

Also, I worked at Vision Express for a few Saturdays and on my first day they literally put me behind the counter and told me to deal with people, without giving me any sort of training. The second week I was there a woman came in wanting to try some sunglasses on, but they were locked onto the stand and I didn't know where the key was. The other staff were all busy, so I explained that it was only my second day, I hadn't been told where the key was, as soon as someone was free I would get them to help her. I went back behind the counter, where a couple of minutes later I saw the woman giving me a dirty look, so I went over and repeated what I had said before. Another member helped her a few minutes later, and everything was fine. Until the week after when my boss said the woman had put in a complaint about me, saying I just stared at her and didn't go over to ask if she needed any help, which was blatantly not true. However, my boss didn't like me and it was pretty clear she didn't believe me when I explained what had actually happened.

In the job I do now, I don't have to deal with customers, but some of the staff are horrible, especially considering that they work in care and have done for years.
ThisBeatIsSick
Lol oh yes, I work at Millie's so we get a mystery shopper each month, I only got 86% last month because I didn't "acknowledge" the customer when they were waiting, how on earth did I serve them then?! WTF.

Ha, I only got 18% or something ridiculas. I'd only just started (well I'd started a month before but had to take two weeks off for flu), and was still feeling rough so was standing by the heater. I got marked down for that. For not acknowledging her. For selling her two products that weren't supposed to be sold together (but when I asked other people who worked there, they didn't realise that either), and for not knowing about a service that had come out while I'd been off... I smiled throughout and apologised, saying she should come back later because I didn't know about it.

Now, six months later we got another one who got served by a girl who'd literally started that week, and the only reason we didn't get 0% was because one of the more experienced people came up and helped but we still got below 50%

I wanna know how much they get paid to torture us!
Reply 136
NCIShippo
Work as a Saturday assistant in an opticians - ie8 hours a week, with no training. Get patients phone up to discuss if they have the right Contact Lens in their left eye - how do I know? :eek:

I get your point with the other stuff but I'm sure the people who ring up would think all staff in the optician's would be trained - they have no way of telling if you're trained or not so it's not really their fault lol
ily_em
I get your point with the other stuff but I'm sure the people who ring up would think all staff in the optician's would be trained - they have no way of telling if you're trained or not so it's not really their fault lol

I think the point was that how would anyone - trained or not - know over the phone if they have the correct lense in their left eye.
Reply 138
chilliann
i work at smiths and i'v had my fair share of assholes; recently, an old man started getting really angry at me because he wanted a big RECYCLABLE bag and we have to charge 6p for them, so he started off on one and shouted- for christ sakes i'v got six of these bags already at home!! i just felt like shouting back thats the point!thats why they're called RECYCLABLE bags ffs. *ends rant*

Me too. We are always running out of bags in our store and only had newspaper bags I said I'd have to charge her if she wanted a 6p bag and she kicked off and demanded I rang my manager to check. I did and she said we had to charge and this woman kicked off even more.We had to get the manager to come down and the woman eventually stormed out.

Also people who watch me tidy an area and then come and mess it up.
Parents who let there kids run around screaming and throwing stuff on the floor.
A woman on Saturday bought a top up voucher and then refused to move until I rang up and put it on for her even though there was a massive que.
/rant.
Reply 139
cunningstunt87
I'm a Pizza Delivery Driver, and to all those who get threatened at work in shops, cafes etc.

I work in a Takeaway and one of our delivery drivers got mugged in his car and the other one got lynx sprayed in his eyes and pushed down a flight of concrete stairs.:frown:
We had a man once order a pizza and then rang asking for his money back and when I asked what was wrong with it he said nothing but he'd never had pizza before and he didn't like it.
Also a bloke rang up asking for a delivery to Essex when we're in Leeds. When I told him we were in Leeds he accused me of lying!

Latest

Trending

Trending