The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Helenia
I saw one when I was an A&E F2, plus another arrest in a heavily pregnant woman where they didn't section. Both awful. Nothing on quite that scale in the last three months, though I did have a tricky CS at 27/40 on Sunday which I had to get the boss for, but I survived 3 months without doing a GA section. :s: There are plenty of horror stories out there though!

Just three months, then I have three months each of cardiac and general ICU (unsure which order) to complete the year.

Are you at OUH?

Yep. As an FY2 though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Rough set of nights.

Clopidogrel and the NOACs are ****ing deadly.
Does anyone have any experience of 'acting up' as a registrar whilst still an sho? There's an dire SpR staffing crisis in my trust which happens to be the job I'm doing and want to pursue at ST3 from next year (currently a cmt2). Obviously I'm too junior currently but have met a few people who have joined an SpR rota in the final 4-6 months of cmt. The senior registrar who sent out the request to us has very kindly said she thinks I can do the job but everyone else seems to think the deanery will not allow it. Those who have managed it....we're the jobs advertised internally? Who has final approval? Do they look heavily at eportfolio? Thanks
Be very careful and ensure the boss on the day is aware, happy and available to come in (hah). In a few trusts cmt2 are routinely on the registrar rota, and in other trusts you're approached once you've got PACES regardless of you year.

Rather than responding to the registrars email, I'd get in touch with the consultant who will be on call that day and discuss things in advance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah I've done it in GIM on a few occasions where as you say I have known the boss is quite hands on and helpful. What I actually meant is leaving my final ct2 post (so they have to get a locum for 3-4 months) and actually get put on the SpR rota at another hospital (within same trust) for the remainder of the year, not just on an ad hoc basis.

I've left it in the hands of the local TPD who will hopefully know the logistics of it (and may flat out say no) but wondered if I should be prepared for or do anything in advance of meeting him.
Will general medicine take someone back if they do two years of surgery and then don't like it/can't get a job? :colondollar:
Reply 2726
So after 6 years at medical school and 6.5yrs post graduate training I've finally passed my last compulsory exam (CSA)! Time to get excited and start looking for jobs!
Original post by Egypt
So after 6 years at medical school and 6.5yrs post graduate training I've finally passed my last compulsory exam (CSA)! Time to get excited and start looking for jobs!

Congratulations! Hope you find somewhere good. Are you looking for salaried or partnership for now?
Original post by Egypt

Well done!

I am starting to freak out about going back to work. I am not going back until the start of april but it seems really soon and I don't think that I will remember anything!

Plus I am pretty sure I have the flu :frown: (only able to get the energy to even type this because I am in the lovely 40 minute period where paracetamol has managed to drop my fever. Got to 41 yesterday :frown:)
Reply 2729
Original post by Helenia
Congratulations! Hope you find somewhere good. Are you looking for salaried or partnership for now?

Not sure yet. I think I'm going to locum to start with. There are some exciting looking fellowships in rural general practice in Scotland where you do normal general practice along with basics/first response/obs and A&E - just not sure about going all the way to the highlands of an island. Have to wait and see, all very exciting though!
I've found our FY teaching pretty dire so far. The standard of knowledge being given is significantly below what med school was like, they never mention evidence etc. I've been giving terrible feedback.

Then last week we had a lecture on ECGs where the reg just went along the rows asking people. People weren't recognising huge inferior STEMIs, complete heart block, atrial fibrillation...

I know in reality you aren't exactly going to learn much raw knowledge in your FY years but... have we all been eroded that much already?! I was pretty shocked (and this is coming from someone who graduated 9th decile)...
(edited 9 years ago)
FY1 teaching is just the deaneries' way of trying to show that house officers are not just TTO and venflon monkeys.

I learnt nothing. The only thing it achieved was making most of us stay at least an hour or two later that normal to catch up on the stuff (mostly TTOs and venflons...) we missed during these sessions.
Original post by nexttime
I've found our FY teaching pretty dire so far. The standard of knowledge being given is significantly below what med school was like, they never mention evidence etc. I've been giving terrible feedback.

Then last week we had a lecture on ECGs where the reg just went along the rows asking people. People weren't recognising huge inferior STEMIs, complete heart block, atrial fibrillation...

I know in reality you aren't exactly going to learn much raw knowledge in your FY years but... have we all been eroded that much already?! I was pretty shocked (and this is coming from someone who graduated 9th decile)...

Were they actually getting it wrong or just saying I don't know? As when in a large group and being put on the spot lots if people won't feel comfortable to say even if they know.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think a lot of people are really bad at being put on the spot in front of others. So unless they were getting things outrageously wrong, rather than just saying "I don't know" they may have had it in their head and not been brave enough to actually say it. We also know that lots of junior doctors are really bad at actually handling stuff which we've all been taught at med school - fluids prescribing, diabetes management, sepsis etc., so it has to be covered in teaching.

I had some excellent foundation teaching sessions and some truly awful ones. I think you're being a bit harsh slating people for not providing evidence for everything, especially if it's just a registrar doing their consultant a favour/after a few CV points, but if it genuinely is boring/incorrect/not at the right level then they need to know that - although there is a list of topics which I think they HAVE to cover in foundation training so you have to grin and bear some of it.
Original post by Egypt

Congratulations! When do you get your CCT..?

(& any CSA tips?! :tongue: )

randdom

I am starting to freak out about going back to work. I am not going back until the start of april but it seems really soon and I don't think that I will remember anything!

I did a day of GP update course (& the AKT!) just before I went back which was helpful. Is it a hospital job or GP..?
(edited 9 years ago)

Yeh my teaching hasn't been great either. We've had a couple of stand-out sessions on palliation/analgesia (basically confirmed my suspicion that codeine is complete **** as a painkiller), and "potentially hazardous" prescriptions (warfarin, insulin etc).

For the most part though it's been pretty dire, usually haphazardly delivered by some poor reg who's never seen the presentation before, and has no insight into the level of knowledge to aim for. Plus it's not bleep (phones in our trust) free, so people are constantly being called throughout.
Original post by randdom
Were they actually getting it wrong or just saying I don't know? As when in a large group and being put on the spot lots if people won't feel comfortable to say even if they know.

Original post by Helenia
I think a lot of people are really bad at being put on the spot in front of others. So unless they were getting things outrageously wrong, rather than just saying "I don't know" they may have had it in their head and not been brave enough to actually say it. We also know that lots of junior doctors are really bad at actually handling stuff which we've all been taught at med school - fluids prescribing, diabetes management, sepsis etc., so it has to be covered in teaching.

I had some excellent foundation teaching sessions and some truly awful ones. I think you're being a bit harsh slating people for not providing evidence for everything, especially if it's just a registrar doing their consultant a favour/after a few CV points, but if it genuinely is boring/incorrect/not at the right level then they need to know that - although there is a list of topics which I think they HAVE to cover in foundation training so you have to grin and bear some of it.

They were getting stuff wrong, but I'm sure being on the spot was the reason. At least I really hope so!

I'm not expecting everything to have citations - just maybe a mention of something interesting every now and then? Especially when its a consultant doing it which it has been a lot. Again i'm sure you're right though - this teaching is to cover those that fell through the gaps, not to actually teach most people anything they didn't already know.

The session that kind of took the piss was about audits. Potentially useful topic - I'd have liked practical details on how to go about it, help to identify topics would be good. Actual presentation: dictionary defintions of "audit" and literal slides on different types of graph. An actual quote was "and this is a bar chart".

Also slightly (i.e. primarily) contributing to my annoyance is that I have to attend this crap when it overlaps with the paeds teaching, which is peer-run and really good and in the speciality I'm interested in! The net effect of FY teaching for me so far has been profoundly negative.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2737
Original post by Elles

Still got to wait until August for my CCT. It is quite nice though knowing that all the assessments are done bar the obligatory "reflections"!

To be honest the CSA was a challenging exam. It was the first time in a very long time where I left the exam genuinely not knowing if I'd passed or failed. Having said that I think it's very doable with the right preparation. I didn't go on any courses of buy any books. I did use the case scenarios from the Pennine GPVTS website and did lots and lots of role play.

Have you decided when you're going to sit yours?
Original post by Elles

I did a day of GP update course (& the AKT!) just before I went back which was helpful. Is it a hospital job or GP..?

It will be my last hospital job. Akt is done. I was thinking about an update course but then thought that maybe it would be worth waiting until just before gp reg
Original post by Egypt
Still got to wait until August for my CCT. It is quite nice though knowing that all the assessments are done bar the obligatory "reflections"!

To be honest the CSA was a challenging exam. It was the first time in a very long time where I left the exam genuinely not knowing if I'd passed or failed. Having said that I think it's very doable with the right preparation. I didn't go on any courses of buy any books. I did use the case scenarios from the Pennine GPVTS website and did lots and lots of role play.

Have you decided when you're going to sit yours?

Wow - you did it super early?!

I'm thinking April - as I went 80% at the start of Reg year in August & joining in any study groups for role play is going to be challenging with childcare arrangements... but the big gap from May-October is then slightly worrying in case re-sit needed - although with the ££££s it costs failure should not be an option! :biggrin: My Trainer & I are about to start getting cracking on the Pennine roleplays...

randdom

It will be my last hospital job. Akt is done. I was thinking about an update course but then thought that maybe it would be worth waiting until just before gp reg

In some ways I think going back to a hospital job might be easier as more of a hierarchy while the brain warms back up... Although not sure when mine'll be fully functional again (!)

Latest

Trending

Trending