The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Renal
Speaking of bored. I just worked out that I'll be earning around £7ph in my first job and that the taxman will rape me for nearly 10K over my first year. :sigh:

On the positive side at least you get the first few months tax free. :yep:
Reply 21
I got blood on my shirt today then got covered in wee. Fun times...
Reply 22
Daveo
I got blood on my shirt today then got covered in wee. Fun times...

:eek3: - what were you doing?
Reply 23
Ataloss
:eek3: - what were you doing?

It was two separate bodily fluid incidents
Reply 24
Grad dinner --> disapointing let down. Hope graduation is better. :frown:
Reply 25
Just had college medic meal. With the other 5 slow-trackers that I've been with for the last 6 years.
So they're... not going to be there too when I start work? :bawling:
Reply 26
Slow-trackers?
Reply 27
Elles, are you officially a doctor yet? For someone who finished finals years ago, it's sure as hell taking a long time before you're qualifying for flight upgrades...!

I walked past Harvard Medical School today - there were people WORKING in the labs at 7am(!!) Ridiculous.
Reply 28
Muse
Medical School today - there were people WORKING in the labs at 7am(!!) Ridiculous.

Sounds Oxford right too... I don't miss those early starts and late finishes!
Reply 29
AEH
Slow-trackers?

:yep: - in total there are 11 medics from my college who should be graduating.

4 = graduate entry medicine course ('fast-trackers') - so we've been merged together over the last 3 years.
1 = deferred for 2 years - so just met them this year.
6 = standard entry course ('slow-trackers' :wink: ) - including moi & we all did the interviews, preclinical & clinical together at this college. Which was a little unusual to have absolutely no change of cohort & no room for any filthy tabs. :p: I will miss them.

Muse

Elles, are you officially a doctor yet? For someone who finished finals years ago, it's sure as hell taking a long time before you're qualifying for flight upgrades...!

No. :rolleyes: I shouldn't be posting in here really, but it's finishing related angst, so...

Since finals we have done - elective, final year essay (which presumably I've passed as they didn't ask me to redraft and it's a bit late now?), SSMs, Portfolio, ALS, ALERT & Work Shadowing. This week we have some 'professional practice' sessions & the electives conference & of course, finals dinner.

It's official when the overall degree pass list comes out (because 'finals' was just the second BM general clinical skills list) or the ceremony on the 18th I guess. So I might be getting re-excited soon!
Renal
Speaking of bored. I just worked out that I'll be earning around £7ph in my first job and that the taxman will rape me for nearly 10K over my first year. :sigh:

jesus im earning £7 ph just summarising notes at a gp surgery!
Reply 31
I just worked out bloody tax as well. £32,000 = about £20,000 take-home pay (after pensions, NI, student loan, tax). :s-smilie:
Muse
I just worked out bloody tax as well. £32,000 = about £20,000 take-home pay (after pensions, NI, student loan, tax). :s-smilie:
Still that's about double my total expenditure for the year just past (ignoring elective) so it's not too bad. I just feel sorry for my friends with unbanded rotations. Still, my salary only works out to £9 per hour after all deductions, which doesn't seem very much when put like that (managed to earn more during summer jobs, but obviously with different tax rules, no pension or student loans to take out).
Reply 33
Spencer Wells
Still that's about double my total expenditure for the year just past (ignoring elective) so it's not too bad.
Yer, I've budgeted for next year and think I can save quite a bit, but it's still disappointing.
What's more annoying from a budget point of view for me is the way that my salary is probably going to drop massively for F2 (I don't know this for a fact, but I'll lose London weighting, and probably won't be 1A for the whole year).
Reply 35
No matter how much the taxman takes off me, nothing can be as bad as the last two years. I know I'm moving in with a man with very expensive tastes, but I'm going to try my best to keep them under control!
Reply 36
Spencer Wells
What's more annoying from a budget point of view for me is the way that my salary is probably going to drop massively for F2 (I don't know this for a fact, but I'll lose London weighting, and probably won't be 1A for the whole year).
Don't worry, if that happens, I'll get the beers in. :wink:
Renal
Don't worry, if that happens, I'll get the beers in. :wink:

That's kind of you. I suppose I'll have to get them in for this year though (though knowing how much we drink, might have to get Helenia in on it too).
Elles
:yep: - in total there are 11 medics from my college who should be graduating.

4 = graduate entry medicine course ('fast-trackers') - so we've been merged together over the last 3 years.
1 = deferred for 2 years - so just met them this year.
6 = standard entry course ('slow-trackers' :wink: ) - including moi & we all did the interviews, preclinical & clinical together at this college. Which was a little unusual to have absolutely no change of cohort & no room for any filthy tabs. :p: I will miss them.

No. :rolleyes: I shouldn't be posting in here really, but it's finishing related angst, so...

Since finals we have done - elective, final year essay (which presumably I've passed as they didn't ask me to redraft and it's a bit late now?), SSMs, Portfolio, ALS, ALERT & Work Shadowing. This week we have some 'professional practice' sessions & the electives conference & of course, finals dinner.

It's official when the overall degree pass list comes out (because 'finals' was just the second BM general clinical skills list) or the ceremony on the 18th I guess. So I might be getting re-excited soon!

ALS or ILS?

Not sure how a pre-F1 can pass ALS...[heck i only did it this year and most the F1s there somehow managed to fail it]
Reply 39
Jamie
ALS or ILS?

Not sure how a pre-F1 can pass ALS...[heck i only did it this year and most the F1s there somehow managed to fail it]

ALS.
We are obviously awesome or the medical school has some money to burn?

Latest