The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

xo-Heva
And I would rethink my plans about uni because if I can't handle SQA exams, I have no hope in hell of handling university...

What if the coursework is in no way related to the subject you want to do at uni though? I am the maths anti-Christ but that wouldn't put me off doing English at uni :confused: I was nervous because the SQA exams are a stepping stone to uni, but once you're there, I would hope that your confidence would start to build ... :smile:
Lady_KaKa
Bahhh I'm so depressed reading this :frown:

Aw I'm sorry :frown: Have some rep :smile:
ArcadiaHouse
That is very lucky indeed :frown:

But sadly untrue, as far as I know.
Meridian_Star
But sadly untrue, as far as I know.

Oh. So do you resit the whole year?
I think I'm going to chose to go to College instead of Uni, and I have an Unconditional for College so it won't matter for me if it all goes to pot :P:
Gosh doesn't bear thinking of...and I haven't thought about it since I did my last exam...I suppose I should have a plan B but if you think about it ( my intention isnt to scare people), it will be twice as hard applying for uni next year as there will be an even bigger increase in people applying for 2010 and a lot more people will be less inclined to go straight into employment after college....
I would defiantly do resits and change my degree to something which I'm more likely to get into and enjoy and do well at. ( What that is ?...I'm still trying to decide. :smile: )
ArcadiaHouse
Oh. So do you resit the whole year?

You can resit in January, but that's the earliest. I don't know if every school/college does January resits either. And even if you do resit in January, you can't start university til September anyway, so we're in pretty much the same position as you :smile:
Reply 27
Meridian_Star
You can resit in January, but that's the earliest. I don't know if every school/college does January resits either. And even if you do resit in January, you can't start university til September anyway, so we're in pretty much the same position as you :smile:

You can't resit the exams here in January. There's no choice but to repeat the year and then do the final exam in May.
Reply 28
I'm not sure. I didn't perform well, because I'm a lazy biatch. But we'll see, we'll see.
Even if I don't get into the uni maybe clearing will have a few gems, if not might go to night school and get some extra hours at work, or just go to college.
But there's no point thinking about it till August.
Reply 29
I'd get on the phone with Clearing ASAP >< I AM going to uni this year! :frown:
Reply 30
I'm really stuck about what to do because im confident that i haven't made the grades i need..I doubt that resitting will leave me in a much better position as the grades will only be slightly higher..Isn't it harder to get into university after three years aswell because the asking grades are higher... :frown:
Reply 31
euggh
makes me feel sick
if i don't get my insurance then i'll take a year out and reapply
no way am i going through clearing.
Im sitting at home minding my business worried about meeting my offer then i see a thread like this.
I'm pretty sure I got the grades.
Meridian_Star

The vital difference is that at school at least we need to actually go to classes for a whole year to resit, in the vast majority of cases. Also, if you're AS level grades aren't as good as you want/need, you can resit and do A2. We can't resit and do the advanced higher which is significant also.
ArcadiaHouse
Aw I'm sorry :frown: Have some rep :smile:

Haha thanks :smile:
I'd spend the next month feeling sorry for myself/finding the motivation to take a Gap Year and apply again, with an even stronger application
Oxford Aviation hopefully
ah, the joys of an unconditional.
A Stranger in Moscow

********. Since when have we been able to resit exams anywhere between August-January? You don't have to redo the entire year, no, but you'd have to put in at least 6 months work before your January exams (the first opportunity to resit). And you still have to wait a year before you can go to Uni.

We basically don't have a similar resit system to the rest of the UK.

Scottish unis will literally look down on you if you take two years to get an A over someone who took a single year. I'm not sure about the rest of the uk but there's anonymity surrounding grades/years sitting.
They are told how many years it took you to get those results.

Also, in an instance where a uni will actually ask you to resit your highers they could possibly mean study completely new highers.
In order to gain entry into my course I had to pick two new subjects to study - Latin and geography - which I hadn't studied since my third year of secondary school and to a certain extent ones I didn't enjoy that much beforehand. I'm in my course now so it was worth it in the end but how life would have been easy if I could resit modules 'n the like.

Honestly, a modular system would be, in my mind, fantastic.

Latest

Trending

Trending