The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

If I messed up, then I'll graduate with a Master's degree rather than a Bachelor's. :p:
Allthewayhome
We basically don't have a similar resit system to the rest of the UK.

Scottish unis will literally look down on you if you take two years to get an A over someone who took a single year. I'm not sure about the rest of the uk but there's anonymity surrounding grades/years sitting.
They are told how many years it took you to get those results.

Also, in an instance where a uni will actually ask you to resit your highers they could possibly mean study completely new highers.
In order to gain entry into my course I had to pick two new subjects to study - Latin and geography - which I hadn't studied since my third year of secondary school and to a certain extent ones I didn't enjoy that much beforehand. I'm in my course now so it was worth it in the end but how life would have been easy if I could resit modules 'n the like.

Honestly, a modular system would be, in my mind, fantastic.

I know how it works, yeah, but you'd still have to resit the entire year if it went wrong in August. And Universities DO know if you resit here as well, apart from the one opportunity between January of AS year and June of AS year where they wouldn't know, but usually only one or two exams are taken in January of AS year so it's not that much really. It might be harder to resit in Scotland, but then again you could get into University when you're 17 so the extra year wouldn't really hurt, it'd just bring you in line with the rest of the UK.

And anyway, that's not what that person was saying, they made it sound like there was some magical resit time in like August or September so we could still go to University that same year as we got our A2 results. Not so, if you fail your A2s, you'll either have to resit in January or June (not applicable this year as the specifications ran out - so yeah, we'd have to do the entire TWO years again this year, think about that...) which would take a year, just like you.

Oh, and some Universities, like Manchester, completely ignore you if you've done a 3rd year in any way, whether it be with new subjects or not.
Well, thankfully I have an unconditional insurance, so would just have to go there.

I'll definitely be having a look at clearing though, just in case there's anything there I'd prefer, and then ask my insurance to release me. I'm fairly confident I've missed my offer, but as it's only by one grade I'm just going to hope they're feeling lenient... :puppyeyes:
Reply 43
I think I'll go through clearing...
Reply 44
I'd resit English, Chemistry and Maths and continue crashing H Physics. I'd forget about Music and Computing as they're the ones least important to what I want to do (I think!) but I also think they're what I've done best in. Aargh!
Reply 45
I'll end up having to take a longer journey to a less reputable uni that I'm far less excited about and during the journey I will be melodramaticly emo, cursing myself for not revising harder. Then probably forgetting all about it after a week!
Reply 46
Die.
Reply 47
Spend the day crying and howling and then take a moment and decide what I'm going to do.
Reply 48
Start pilot training 4 years early:P i applied the other day because i was bored and got accepted lmfao
Reply 49
Resit stuff this year and cry at the fact that I won't be doing the AHs I want to do.
And probably have to try harder to get into Uni next year as my first sitting wouldn't be very good :p:
Reply 50
ScottD
Start pilot training 4 years early:P i applied the other day because i was bored and got accepted lmfao

Wow. Are you considering joining the RAF or becoming a commercial pilot?
I used to really want to do that. My eye sight sucks though and I'd never find the money for becoming a commercial pilot...

Latest

Trending

Trending