Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is my weight OK?

Announcements Posted on
Complete this short survey for a chance to win an iPad mini! 22-09-2014
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Its better to go see a doctor if you are worried about your weight. Asking people on here isn't always helpful as you can get the odd ridiculous comment. Personally though your BMI averages at normal weight so I wouldn't be worried. If you feel healthy and good in your body then its fine.

I am 17 years old, 5ft9 and weigh 11st 7. Should I lose weight, because i'm size 14 and feel really fat
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    OH MY GOD THATS NOT NORMAL.

but yeah in all seriousness your healthy so dont worry about it.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrincessAriadne)
    :eek: Thin!!
    sorry, I meant 8.5 stone, which is still relatively thin.

Oh ok, thanks
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cakes.)
    How are you still alive? :eek:
    lol. I meant stone not pounds. sorry.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I'm 18, 5 foot 7, and 10 stone 4. I was 10 stone 12 a few weeks ago, but I've completely changed my diet, I'm aiming to get to about 9 stone 7.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    18- 6'0"- 10stone8

normal?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Okay, people are still posting, asking whether their weight is normal.

There is no 'normal'- there is healthy, and there is not healthy, be it over or underweight, and there is 'average' but even then average size is only partially correlated to weight, if that makes any sense?
    There are several factors that should be taken into account and one most commonly used is BMI, which gives a rough indication of how over/underweight you are, if atall however this should not be taken as the be all and end all judgement of weight. This is because it does not take into account factors such as bones structure (some people have a very small bone structure, which looks and weighs far less than others) and density, or muscle (muscles weighs more than bone but is arguably more desirable.)

In terms of health, a good measure of health, size-wise, is waist measurement... you can find out more about this can be found here.

However, I think the most important factor, aside from immediate health risks, is how YOU feel in yourself. Although I know that for an 18 year old a size 12 is highly desirable for curves etc, I do not feel comfortable at this size, due to past eating issues. On the other hand, a friend of mine feels that a size 8 is not attractive and would never want to be less than a 12- it's about personal preference and comfort, not the media, and not BMI or worse still, just a random number (8 stone!!!)

I hope this has helped a little bit...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i'm the same height currently weigh 9st 7 wanna get down to 9st, that would be my ideal
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nasri-diaby)
    I'm 18, 6'0" and 10 stone 8.

Is that alright?
    i bet you're gorgeous. i'm 5'8" and am 11 stone. happy ish with my weight, but i've changed to a less chocolate-heavy diet recently in an aim really to get better complexion... the weight advantages are good too tho :P

it also depends on muscle as to how you look. i think that if you stand infront of the mirror for hours a day you're bound to see faults, but if you happen to glance at yourself and notice something good, remember it, and stand that bit taller confidence is so sexy :P
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HoW_aBoUt_001)
    i bet you're gorgeous. i'm 5'8" and am 11 stone. happy ish with my weight, but i've changed to a less chocolate-heavy diet recently in an aim really to get better complexion... the weight advantages are good too tho :P

it also depends on muscle as to how you look. i think that if you stand infront of the mirror for hours a day you're bound to see faults, but if you happen to glance at yourself and notice something good, remember it, and stand that bit taller confidence is so sexy :P
    Thanks! Always nice to hear

I suppose as long as everyone's happy with their own weight, there's no need to worry!!!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Well I am nearly 5 ft 10 and weigh 11st 5lbs. Your weight sounds fine! Hopefully I will be closer to that soon :p:

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 4, 2009
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.