The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I read mine before it was sent off... my teachers were pretty flattering... it was basically a massive exageration. But I suppose everybodies reference is exagerated and says about the same thing.

I found out later that there were two spelling mistakes which I hadn't noticed... I have got 4 offers so far so it doesn't seem to have had an effect luckily...
Reply 21
edders
i just phoned up UCAS asking if I could have a copy of the UCAS form sent to me (so i can read the reference obv) and they were like 'sure just send us £10 and we'll give you all the info we have on you'. so guys and girls, if you werent allowed to read your reference by your cruel teachers, just send a £10 cheque made payable to 'UCAS' to

UCAS
PO Box 28
Cheltenham
Glos
GL52 3ZA

with a little covering letter saying something like 'dear sir/madam, please send me a copy of my UCAS form along with any other details you have about me, under the terms of the Data Protection Act. i enclose £10 for the processing fee. my ucas number is xxxxxx, yours faithfully, xxxxx'

:smile:

I was told to address the letter to Mr Ken Horsburgh
Reply 22
mikesgt2
I read mine before it was sent off... my teachers were pretty flattering... it was basically a massive exageration. But I suppose everybodies reference is exagerated and says about the same thing.

I found out later that there were two spelling mistakes which I hadn't noticed... I have got 4 offers so far so it doesn't seem to have had an effect luckily...

Hellow fellow philosophy student! where are you applying and what for? Nice essays btw :smile:
Reply 23
icy
I was told to address the letter to Mr Ken Horsburgh

you phoned up too? i hardly think it matters who you address the letter to.
Reply 24
I was lucky then i spose, i asked my history teacher if i could see what he had written and negotiate the statement....he was fine with it. :biggrin:
Reply 25
i refused to let my tutor do my refernece cos he barely knew me etc and i got one of my other teachers to do it(who didn't have a tutor group so i think she only wrote 2) and they were fine about letitng me read it and adding suggestions. Its a bit meen of some teachers to refuse you access to it but their references might be more objective.
emom100
i refused to let my tutor do my refernece cos he barely knew me etc and i got one of my other teachers to do it(who didn't have a tutor group so i think she only wrote 2) and they were fine about letitng me read it and adding suggestions. Its a bit meen of some teachers to refuse you access to it but their references might be more objective.

IMAGINE OF I GOT A TEACHER TO WRITE MY REFERENCE!!!!

"MASKALL IS SUCH A LOVELY, SWEET INNOCENT CHILD WITH A BRILLIANT PERSONALITY, SENSE OF HUMOUR, ATTITUDE AND WORK ETHIC. HE IS EXTREMELY INTELLIGENT, AND INFACT WE WORSHIP HIM AS THE GOD, THE MESSIAH.....HE IS OUR RELIGION. WE LOV HIM......HE CAN EVN BE IN A PEAR TREE ON CHRISTMAS DAY. E.G.) AND A MASKALL IN A PEAR TREE!!!!!"
Reply 27
BIG_MASKALL
IMAGINE OF I GOT A TEACHER TO WRITE MY REFERENCE!!!!

"MASKALL IS SUCH A LOVELY, SWEET INNOCENT CHILD WITH A BRILLIANT PERSONALITY, SENSE OF HUMOUR, ATTITUDE AND WORK ETHIC. HE IS EXTREMELY INTELLIGENT, AND INFACT WE WORSHIP HIM AS THE GOD, THE MESSIAH.....HE IS OUR RELIGION. WE LOV HIM......HE CAN EVN BE IN A PEAR TREE ON CHRISTMAS DAY. E.G.) AND A MASKALL IN A PEAR TREE!!!!!"

In the real world:
'Maskall is a complex chap: infinitely contracdictory and stupid in his manner and certainly an annoyannce to any unfortunate soul who has happens to be in his presence. In a seemingly paradoxical way during a class discussion, Maskall highlighted that I was a racist, white upper class guy who resented foreigners. Yet, soon after, he targeted a pupil of a Pakistani origin making misinformed, generalised references to the cornershop ethos of the race in question (refer to an old thread peeps if you think I am making this up). He has the tendencies of a crony and once said to a teacher, 'I will suck you meatpop for a grade or two.' The teacher then had to restrain Maskall for fear of being subject to his sexual advances. In summary, I am sure, as you see, that Maskall is the epitome of all that is wrong with this school/college. I hope you are fortunate enough to have the wisdom to value your institution's reputation too.'
Reply 28
Blamps
In the real world:
'Maskall is a complex chap: infinitely contracdictory and stupid in his manner and certainly an annoyannce to any unfortunate soul who has happens to be in his presence. In a seemingly paradoxical way during a class discussion, Maskall highlighted that I was a racist, white upper class guy who resented foreigners. Yet, soon after, he targeted a pupil of a Pakistani origin making misinformed, generalised references to the cornershop ethos of the race in question (refer to an old thread peeps if you think I am making this up). He has the tendencies of a crony and once said to a teacher, 'I will suck you lolly for a grade or two.' The teacher then had to restrain Maskall for fear of being subject to his sexual advances. In summary, I am sure, as you see, that Maskall is the epitome of all that is wrong with this school/college. I hope you are fortunate enough to have the wisdom to value your institution's reputation too.'

beat that Maskall
Blamps
beat that Maskall

I FIND IT IRONIC THAT THE CORNERSHOP RACIST REMARK WAS BORN FROM TYPICAL WHITE MIDDLE-UPPER CLASS PEOPLE.

AND WHATS THAT CRAP ABOUT THE LOLLY?

AND I DOUBT THAT OXBRIDGE WILL LOOK DOWN UPON A PERSON WITH SOME PERSONALITY, UNLIKE YOU BORING FAGGOTS WHO JUST SIT BEHIND A BOOK AND PRAY TO GOD.
Reply 30
BIG_MASKALL
I FIND IT IRONIC THAT THE CORNERSHOP RACIST REMARK WAS BORN FROM TYPICAL WHITE MIDDLE-UPPER CLASS PEOPLE.

AND WHATS THAT CRAP ABOUT THE LOLLY?

AND I DOUBT THAT OXBRIDGE WILL LOOK DOWN UPON A PERSON WITH SOME PERSONALITY, UNLIKE YOU BORING FAGGOTS WHO JUST SIT BEHIND A BOOK AND PRAY TO GOD.

Lolly :rolleyes: ...Oxbridge material here :rolleyes:
Maskall, the more you bang on about Oxbridge, the more painful a possible rejection will be.
And don't say that remark came from me ...I have a memory like an elephant and remember you saying something like that to Adshur
Blamps
Lolly :rolleyes: ...Oxbridge material here :rolleyes:
Maskall, the more you bang on about Oxbridge, the more painful a possible rejection will be.
And don't say that remark came from me ...I have a memory like an elephant and remember you saying something like that to Adshur

"EYE FOR AN EYE....A TOOTH FOR A TOOTH...."

I FIND IT FUNNY HOW YOU CAN COMMENT ON OTHER PEOPLES CHANCES. VERY FUNNY FLUFFY.... :smile:
Reply 32
BIG_MASKALL
"EYE FOR AN EYE....A TOOTH FOR A TOOTH...."

I FIND IT FUNNY HOW YOU CAN COMMENT ON OTHER PEOPLES CHANCES. VERY FUNNY FLUFFY.... :smile:

I didn't comment on your chances hence the word *possible* since after all you are statiscally more likely to be rejected
Reply 33
'an eye for an eye etc.'

so, by adopting that idealogy, I am sure you are in perfect agreement with the war on terror then?
FunkyTeenAngel
so if i pay £10 now (i hvnt been interviewed yet) will i have to pay another £10 to get interview notes?

Yes...and you would have to pay £10 to each university that interviews you. The data protection act (and to some extent the freedom of information act) basically means that you can request a copy of any data relating to you from any organisation and they are obliged to supply it (there are reasonable time limits but I can't remember them off the top of my head). They are entitled to charge you up to £10 for supplying the data (which is fairly reasonable considering that it would probably take an hour of someones time to dig it all out put it together and post it).

When it comes to rejections from universities - most admissions tutors who reject without interview will let you know (for free but they might make you wait for it) why you were rejected. If you attend an interview then you are entitled to request a copy of the interviewers notes etc(because it is data relating to you). However it's worth remembering that some interviewers wont take notes (and some don't keep them for more than a day or so - you're only entitled to data that the organisation is *holding* about you so if they've chucked it out you're stumped).
Reply 35
Adhsur
Hellow fellow philosophy student! where are you applying and what for? Nice essays btw :smile:

Hello

I applied for Maths and Philosophy at Oxford, Warwick, KCL, Bristol, Manchester and Birmingham. I have offers from all but Oxford and KCL.

What about you? You never know, we may end up studying together.

Thanks for the complement on my essays... at least I know somebody has read them. lol.
Blamps
'an eye for an eye etc.'

so, by adopting that idealogy, I am sure you are in perfect agreement with the war on terror then?

no i am not becoz it was afghanistan who did sep 11th, (or so tehy said) and not iraq.

if you read teh enws, there was completely no link with iraq on that.

and there was zero evidence of weapons of mass destruction.

as evident now.

so there was zero justification 4 the most pointless war in history.

i havent ehard of iraq going to america and trying to blow the whole nation up first and steal their goods.......
Reply 37
Me and a mate told our tutor that under the Data Protection Act we had every right to see our references. He consulted the head (who took forever) and after a meeting with all the tutors said that if the tutors knew students were to see the references then they wouldn't of written what they did. Therefore we weren't allowed.

Our tutor let us see his reference discretionally, but surely if the law clearly states that we are entitled to see any information written about us, then we can if we wish or what is the point of the law in the first place?!
Reply 38
BIG_MASKALL
no i am not becoz it was afghanistan who did sep 11th, (or so tehy said) and not iraq.

if you read teh enws, there was completely no link with iraq on that.

and there was zero evidence of weapons of mass destruction.

as evident now.

so there was zero justification 4 the most pointless war in history.

i havent ehard of iraq going to america and trying to blow the whole nation up first and steal their goods.......

Yet Iraq had links to al quieda
Reply 39
Blamps
Yet Iraq had links to al quieda
some evidence to support that assertion, please.

Latest

Trending

Trending