The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Open University Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Ah well that sounds like quite a reasonable reason. I didn't do a maths A level originally but I'm glad I have it now.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Original post by Kate.
Bit late but I don't think anyone has answered you yet - you're right, it depends on the amount of each kind of modules that you do.

- Open Degree info page

Lol thank-you
Reply 3182
Original post by SunburnedCactus
Ah well that sounds like quite a reasonable reason. I didn't do a maths A level originally but I'm glad I have it now.

Yeah, I'm not sure whether it will be good enough, but it is geared towards the aspects that are associated with computing, so hopefully. If not, I doubt I'll be doing a masters.
nearly done tma 1 :woo: i lost one of my transcripts >_< unless i didnt have it to start with
TMA01 is due in tomorrow and I still haven't done it. I've been trying all week but I'd write a paragraph and then delete it because it was a pile of rubbish, write something else and then delete it. Plus I have been finding it really hard to concentrate with no music, a ****ty keyboard which doesn't work properly, bright lights in the room and the tv in the background. Thankfully my laptop got fixed today so I'm confident that I will get it done tonight :smile: I kind of need this pressure too, I always seem to work better when I know a piece of work needs to be in the next day.

Stocked up on snacks this afternoon so I'm prepared for an all-nighter if necessary. :biggrin:
Original post by dobbys sock
TMA01 is due in tomorrow and I still haven't done it. I've been trying all week but I'd write a paragraph and then delete it because it was a pile of rubbish, write something else and then delete it. Plus I have been finding it really hard to concentrate with no music, a ****ty keyboard which doesn't work properly, bright lights in the room and the tv in the background. Thankfully my laptop got fixed today so I'm confident that I will get it done tonight :smile: I kind of need this pressure too, I always seem to work better when I know a piece of work needs to be in the next day.

Stocked up on snacks this afternoon so I'm prepared for an all-nighter if necessary. :biggrin:

Good luck with it dobbys! :smile:
Reply 3186

If it's only TMA01 it won't matter too much if it's awful! Also, it might be easier to keep each bad paragraph and then more on as you can go back to edit it later.
I'm really starting to think that I'm too stupid to get a degree. Urgh, I can point out different things in the text but I can't apply it to the question. And I'm stressing over Cleopatra now because anything I write sounds exactly like the DVD. Doesn't help that "anyone off the street" could do that part. I know handing in anything is going to be better than nothing but still... I don't want to hand in anything crap.
Reply 3188
Urgh, I can point out different things in the text but I can't apply it to the question. And I'm stressing over Cleopatra now because anything I write sounds exactly like the DVD. Doesn't help that "anyone off the street" could do that part. I know handing in anything is going to be better than nothing but still... I don't want to hand in anything crap.

Having done a few all nighters that are close to deadlines, I can say with confidence that you're probably being far harsher on your performance than under normal circumstances. Probably too harsh if you're half as grumpy as me me at 2am :cool:

I don't do an arty degree, but for anything that required words when my concentration is shot for any reason, I find that just typing everything along with all its crapness, errors, grammar and slang help me get something out. I then go back and refine, slice, add and make it sound a bit proper - remembering to remove some of the swear words most of the time :biggrin: Seems to beat write - delete - write - delete - write - delete anyway. It takes me about 18 seconds to get frustrated when that starts to happen.

I'll be joining you on your all nighter it seems, though without the pressure of deadlines. Just kinda felt like it today.

*Passes coffee*

I'm really starting to think that I'm too stupid to get a degree. Urgh,

Nope, it's just tired and you're late. Keep it going :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Moggs
Having done a few all nighters that are close to deadlines, I can say with confidence that you're probably being far harsher on your performance than under normal circumstances. Probably too harsh if you're half as grumpy as me me at 2am :cool:

I don't do an arty degree, but for anything that required words when my concentration is shot for any reason, I find that just typing everything along with all its crapness, errors, grammar and slang help me get something out. I then go back and refine, slice, add and make it sound a bit proper - remembering to remove some of the swear words most of the time :biggrin: Seems to beat write - delete - write - delete - write - delete anyway. It takes me about 18 seconds to get frustrated when that starts to happen.

I'll be joining you on your all nighter it seems, though without the pressure of deadlines. Just kinda felt like it today.

*Passes coffee*

Nope, it's just tired and you're late. Keep it going :smile:

:smile: I'm not actually tired, I'm kind of nocturnal at the moment. I think I'll take a little break and then look at it again, my word counts creeping up at least even if half of it doesn't make sense and I have no idea how to make it make sense!
Reply 3190
Does anyone know when I can expect the results of my module that runs Oct to June? It's just occurred to me that this is going to seriously delay my place at uni being confirmed too. Will it be before the end of August?
Reply 3191
Original post by alibee

Original post by alibee
Does anyone know when I can expect the results of my module that runs Oct to June? It's just occurred to me that this is going to seriously delay my place at uni being confirmed too. Will it be before the end of August?

Help just says "August". So yes, it will be before the end of the month but no one can say the exact date yet.
Reply 3192

Original post by Juno
Help just says &quot;August&quot;. So yes, it will be before the end of the month but no one can say the exact date yet.

Ah okay. Thanks very much. As long as it's before 31st August there's no emergency. Phew!!
Reply 3193
Original post by alibee

Original post by alibee
Ah okay. Thanks very much. As long as it's before 31st August there's no emergency. Phew!!

After you've submitted your final assessment (or had exam etc) the date will show in your course record on StudentHome. I don't mean instantly after, but it should be there within a few weeks. Then results tend to be released online a few days before this date but you won't receive your letter until that day (or maybe even the day after). Then once you've got your results you'll need to tell the uni.

Last year I'm fairly sure I got my results before A Level results day. I think I remember telling people and them asking if I'd got the date wrong.
Reply 3194
Original post by Juno
After you've submitted your final assessment (or had exam etc) the date will show in your course record on StudentHome. I don't mean instantly after, but it should be there within a few weeks. Then results tend to be released online a few days before this date but you won't receive your letter until that day (or maybe even the day after). Then once you've got your results you'll need to tell the uni.

Last year I'm fairly sure I got my results before A Level results day. I think I remember telling people and them asking if I'd got the date wrong.

You might find out the results date before your exam/ECA. I have an exam at the start of May and the date of my result is already on my module webpage - 24th June.
Yay, got an interview for a supervisor position at a store I LOVE. I don't know how to make them say "Wow, let's hire her even though she has no supervisory experience!" though:/
Reply 3196
:smile: I'm not actually tired, I'm kind of nocturnal at the moment. I think I'll take a little break and then look at it again, my word counts creeping up at least even if half of it doesn't make sense and I have no idea how to make it make sense!

Hey Nocturnal,

How did you go last night?
Hi guys, I'm just a sometimes-lurker in here, who is kinda considering Open Uni :smile:

I very curiously I want to ask:

Does being an Open Uni student ever feel lonely at all? Do you feel like you're missing out on the student social life, or is that just something you're not very bothered about?
Original post by Moggs
Hey Nocturnal,

How did you go last night?

I managed to write something and got it submitted. I'm expecting a very low mark but I'm trying to look on the bright side -- at least I have a lot of room to improve!
Reply 3199
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
Hi guys, I'm just a sometimes-lurker in here, who is kinda considering Open Uni :smile:

I very curiously I want to ask:

Does being an Open Uni student ever feel lonely at all? Do you feel like you're missing out on the student social life, or is that just something you're not very bothered about?

It depends how much that matters to you, and how many local friends you have anyway. I went to a brick uni for a year before starting with the OU and I just didn't get the whole 'student experience' that people talk about. I don't see why it's a big deal, or so different to your previous social life...I could go out with my friends and get as drunk as I wanted before uni, and I can still do it now if I want to, haha. I just never understood that. All my friends are local anyway - I didn't get on well with any of my flatmates or coursemates at brick uni. I don't make friends easily I guess. I work full-time, so I see and meet people through that too. So no, I actually felt a lot more lonely at a brick uni when I was surrounded by people I didn't relate to or get on with at all.

However, I totally understand that I'm perhaps a bit of an introvert and I definitely like my own space :p: A lot of my friends say they don't know how I do it and keep the motivation when I never have lectures or tutorials to go to, and most of them loved the experience they had at uni.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending