The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Open University Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alawhisp
Hello :smile: I did that in '09 so give me a shout if you need anything, I've done W100, W200, W201 and W300 of the LLB courses :h: W301, W223 and W221 to go! I think 92matt and secondchance are starting W100 in February.. I'll try and quote them in to come and say hello to you :tongue:

Hi, I'm also starting W100 in Feb so I'll probably be needing help in the future too if you don't mind :wink:
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Original post by puddingandpie
Hi, I'm also starting W100 in Feb so I'll probably be needing help in the future too if you don't mind :wink:

Yep, no problem :biggrin: Always happy to help fellow law nerds :tongue:
Reply 4722
Hi! Lovely to know there are others here doing the course too! Looking forward to chatting & desperately crying & begging for help in my more stressed out moments with you all!
haha excellent, I can't wait to start. Is it a difficult course? I'm planning to work part time whilst studying so I hope this is doable?
Reply 4724
I get the impression W100 isn't too bad, it's later on it gets difficult. I think W100 is supposed to break you in quite gently, give you a false sense of security before they blast you with the real work!
Original post by puddingandpie
haha excellent, I can't wait to start. Is it a difficult course? I'm planning to work part time whilst studying so I hope this is doable?

Oh yes, it's totally doable with part-time work. 60 credits roughly equates to 2 hours a day of studying, however, on the Level 1 courses (which are straight Pass/Fail, not graded), you really don't need to do that much. I did most of my studying on a weekend on the Level 1 courses. Once you're used to it and progress to Level 2 and 3, you'll need to put in more time though. Still doable with part-time work, some people here are doing 120 points a year while working full-time :smile: It's all about how motivated and dedicated you are.

It's a Level 1 course, so it's designed to help you get used to the method of studying with the OU. The law courses have a really handy study calendar, usually you are supposed to complete a unit a week. There's activities to complete throughout the course - some are where you just have to think about a topic, others are where you have to look for some information and ask a question on it. And then of course, there are the regular assignments (TMAs) that you have to send in. W100 introduces you to some of the key points that you'll cover in later courses, and it's not too detail heavy.. Just wait til you get to Level 2 and 3, then it gets hard :tongue:
Original post by alawhisp
Oh yes, it's totally doable with part-time work. 60 credits roughly equates to 2 hours a day of studying, however, on the Level 1 courses (which are straight Pass/Fail, not graded), you really don't need to do that much. I did most of my studying on a weekend on the Level 1 courses. Once you're used to it and progress to Level 2 and 3, you'll need to put in more time though. Still doable with part-time work, some people here are doing 120 points a year while working full-time :smile: It's all about how motivated and dedicated you are.

It's a Level 1 course, so it's designed to help you get used to the method of studying with the OU. The law courses have a really handy study calendar, usually you are supposed to complete a unit a week. There's activities to complete throughout the course - some are where you just have to think about a topic, others are where you have to look for some information and ask a question on it. And then of course, there are the regular assignments (TMAs) that you have to send in. W100 introduces you to some of the key points that you'll cover in later courses, and it's not too detail heavy.. Just wait til you get to Level 2 and 3, then it gets hard :tongue:

I really admire people who work full time, probably have a family to support and who still manage to work towards a degree. My mum did that a couple of years ago and I really don't know how she managed.

Still, thanks for you're help, it shall definitely be indispensable in the future :smile:
Reply 4727
I'm planning to get as much as possible done while my daughter (5) is at school before I return to part time work. I have no idea how I'll do it once I'm working, I can see a lot of late nights ahead of me! She currently finishes school at 3 but is in bed at 7 so I've time in the evenings but as her day extends, my working hours will need to & as her bedtime gets later it's going to become difficult. I think I'll be on the laptop in a corner while she's at swimming lessons & birthday parties etc!
Reply 4728
Hello Oppro, I'm doing Y166 at the minute, and starting W100 in February.
Sent off my TMA this morning and the dreams have already started. Had an afternoon nap as I pulled an all nighter to get it done and dreamt that I got a score of 23 and as I cried, my tutor wouldn't give me any feedback. I'm not expecting anything great with this essay, it was so frustrating. I had plenty of notes and ideas but they just wouldn't go down into an essay. I can't believe I started it with weeks to go but was still writing it this morning, just before the deadline!
Original post by dobbys sock
Sent off my TMA this morning and the dreams have already started. Had an afternoon nap as I pulled an all nighter to get it done and dreamt that I got a score of 23 and as I cried, my tutor wouldn't give me any feedback. I'm not expecting anything great with this essay, it was so frustrating. I had plenty of notes and ideas but they just wouldn't go down into an essay. I can't believe I started it with weeks to go but was still writing it this morning, just before the deadline!

The good thing though is that you were thinking about the TMA over a long time meaning that you had time to think over things carefully. My problem is that I start too late then have to reread relevant bits again.
Reply 4731
Does anyone have the PDFs for the K101 that they can send me at all please?
Argh behind on work though not too far. This is hard work. Not sure I'm putting in enough hours especially as I need a good classification overall. This is stressing me out so much.
Original post by Gridiron-Gangster
Argh behind on work though not too far. This is hard work. Not sure I'm putting in enough hours especially as I need a good classification overall. This is stressing me out so much.

Don't worry if you're slightly behind. With your module work load plus working part time, I'd expect you to be playing catch-up. As long as some of it is sticking, you should be fine.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4734
Original post by rele84
I'm doing SDK125 atm, and its just not sinking in at all... might have been just the first unit of it (really hoping thats the case!!)

Plus the going back and forth between multiple resources doesnt help :angry:

I did look at Health sciences but too many 10 point courses, I'm sticking with Health & social care and adding two modules from Health Sciences.

Are you thinking of changing? I find the level 1 courses boring to be honest, well K101 is at the moment.
dd101 is boring and i dont understand how to get the higher marks =( ive gone from a solid pass 2 at level 2 to a bare pass 3.
Reply 4736
Original post by dg2009
I did look at Health sciences but too many 10 point courses, I'm sticking with Health & social care and adding two modules from Health Sciences.

Are you thinking of changing? I find the level 1 courses boring to be honest, well K101 is at the moment.

I did K101 a few years back, and found it extremely boring :s-smilie: I don't think the factor my tutor wasn't exactly great dint help at all, just like SDK.... I loved MU123, and the interaction with multiple regions and groups brilliant.... I think there could be a link there :tongue:

Original post by inksplodge
dd101 is boring and i dont understand how to get the higher marks =( ive gone from a solid pass 2 at level 2 to a bare pass 3.

I've just epically failed the first iCMA for SDK125 - and that was because I was so bored doing it, not that I don't know the answers :s-smilie:
(edited 12 years ago)
I can't seem to find any info on how to set out a tma. Any help please? Thanks.
Reply 4738
Original post by Gridiron-Gangster
I can't seem to find any info on how to set out a tma. Any help please? Thanks.

Probably best to ask your tutor - I don't know if there's any kind of official standard. I've never bothered with copying the questions into the document, mine just look like:

Question 1
i) blah blah blah
ii) blah blah blah
ii) blah blah blah

...etc

It usually specifies somewhere that the header should contain your personal identifier, the course and the assignment number. I've never bothered with page numbers and I just leave the fonts as default. No tutors have ever said that this is missing anything so should be fine!
Reply 4739
Essays usually need to be double spaced and have the word count at the end

Quick Reply

Latest