The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Open University Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5100
Nooo! I needs saving from MST209. Another all-nighter tonight.

I'm either losing brain cells, or it's being turned mushy. I suspect the latter.
(edited 12 years ago)
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Original post by Moggs
Nooo! I needs saving from MST209. Another all-nighter tonight.

I'm either losing brain cells, or it's being turned mushy. I suspect the latter.

Late one for me also! What you studying on 209?
Original post by Bleak Lemming
Late one for me also! What you studying on 209?

Me three. All nighters are bad, but I have poor time management skills, so they're inevitable. :redface:
But just think of the peace and quiet you get from working through the night... :biggrin:
Original post by Piko_Piko
Me three. All nighters are bad, but I have poor time management skills, so they're inevitable. :redface:

What ya studying?

Original post by bufferz
But just think of the peace and quiet you get from working through the night... :biggrin:

If only I had determination not to procrastinate! I've got a list longer than my arm of things that I could do rather than study!
What ya studying?

Block 1 still. I had to get a week's extension for the TMA. And now I'm pulling an all-nighter so I can be finished with it and have fun this weekend. I'm a bad student.:colondollar:
Block 2 looks really interesting, more what I thought an engineering degree would be like.
Block 1 still. I had to get a week's extension for the TMA. And now I'm pulling an all-nighter so I can be finished with it and have fun this weekend. I'm a bad student.:colondollar:
Block 2 looks really interesting, more what I thought an engineering degree would be like.

T173??? TMA01 isn't hard!
T173??? TMA01 isn't hard!

Oh. I thought we were talking about MST209. T173 was very easy, I agree.
I was sure you were studying MST209 too....I may be getting confused due to tiredness though.
Oh. I thought we were talking about MST209. T173 was very easy, I agree.
I was sure you were studying MST209 too....I may be getting confused due to tiredness though.

Haha! Nooo I'm currently doing MST121 MS221 and T173. Got tonnes on at the moment.

What you studying on MST209? I wonder if MS221 will be a big help for it? I'll be starting MST209 come October :biggrin: quite excited! Planned on taking T207 in Feb too but may have to hold off on that!
Haha! Nooo I'm currently doing MST121 MS221 and T173. Got tonnes on at the moment.

What you studying on MST209? I wonder if MS221 will be a big help for it? I'll be starting MST209 come October :biggrin: quite excited! Planned on taking T207 in Feb too but may have to hold off on that!

Wow, good luck with all that!
MS221 is a pretty big help with MST209. I can't imagine how I'd understand much of this course without it. So far it's been revision of differentiation, integration and vectors. Then it's forces-statics, dynamic, energy, then quite a lot on matrices. And that's as far ahead as I've looked. All looks nice and complicated!
Wow, good luck with all that!
MS221 is a pretty big help with MST209. I can't imagine how I'd understand much of this course without it. So far it's been revision of differentiation, integration and vectors. Then it's forces-statics, dynamic, energy, then quite a lot on matrices. And that's as far ahead as I've looked. All looks nice and complicated!

Hope there's a handbook to take into the exam :wink:
Reply 5111
loool my neighbour invited me for a drink for my borthday. I think his GF wanted a threesome. Holy crap I'm drunk and still need to post this assignment in three hours. IV problems for second order de's while drnk., Holy crap.
LOL!!
Reply 5113
LOL!!

:dance: Save me Mr Lemming.

What is your new job anyway? I was going to ask, but aren't you a paramedic? Is your new one better?

Edit - why are you still awake at 3.30am? That's insane too!

edit2- I'm glad you find it funny:P There's 49 guests too!? The OU seems to have become more popular in the past three hours.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Moggs
:dance: Save me Mr Lemming.

What is your new job anyway? I was going to ask, but aren't you a paramedic? Is your new one better?

Yea but I'm sick of my job too many pretentious people who think they're doctors, & wayyy too much bitching. Plus the service is a shambles to say the least!!

I haven't got a new job yet, just applied for it.. But I'm hopeful provided I pass the fitness! Applied for to be an Engineering Technician the submarines in the Navy :confused:... Got my fitness test in like a month so need to be able to run 1.5 miles in 11 mins 13 sec :frown:

Edit 1: Meant to be doing 221 C3 Section 3 Taylor polynomials, but I'm down the last bit which is Mathcad.. never gonna happen!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5115
Yea but I'm sick of my job too many pretentious people who think they're doctors, & wayyy too much bitching. Plus the service is a shambles to say the least!!

I haven't got a new job yet, just applied for it.. But I'm hopeful provided I pass the fitness! Applied for to be an Engineering Technician the submarines in the Navy :confused:... Got my fitness test in like a month so need to be able to run 1.5 miles in 11 mins 13 sec :frown:

Edit 1: Meant to be doing 221 C3 Section 3 Taylor polynomials, but I'm down the last bit which is Mathcad.. never gonna happen!

Whoa, just a slight change then. I had a paramedic once. Not like that. But they came round and zapped me to get my heart back in rythm. I felt like a right idiot and they were *******s, but you guys are life savers. Did more for me in the abmulance than the doctors ever did. You guys rock. <3

Best of luck with the 11 minute 1.5 miles. Didn't it used to be an 11 minute mile? Maybe that's just infantry. I think if I can get near that on 20 a day, you'll own it completely. There was a really impressive documentary on C5 about submarine people training to be captains, probably the least crap thing channel 5 have done.

http://www.channel5.com/shows/royal-navy-submarine-mission

That's f'n awesome though. Eng Tech on a sub? Damn. I hope you get it.

Edit - I have no idea what Taylor Polynomials are. Shouldn't have skipped 221 :P nevermind.
Original post by Moggs
Whoa, just a slight change then. I had a paramedic once. Not like that. But they came round and zapped me to get my heart back in rythm. I felt like a right idiot and they were *******s, but you guys are life savers. Did more for me in the abmulance than the doctors ever did. You guys rock. <3

Best of luck with the 11 minute 1.5 miles. Didn't it used to be an 11 minute mile? Maybe that's just infantry. I think if I can get near that on 20 a day, you'll own it completely. There was a really impressive documentary on C5 about submarine people training to be captains, probably the least crap thing channel 5 have done.

http://www.channel5.com/shows/royal-navy-submarine-mission

That's f'n awesome though. Eng Tech on a sub? Damn. I hope you get it.

Edit - I have no idea what Taylor Polynomials are. Shouldn't have skipped 221 :P nevermind.

Ambulances are fun, and I love driving on blue light etc but I wouldn't wanna do it forever.. No chance of promotion or better pay! Also very little appreciation, in 3 years I've had 2 letters of thanks (both arrived on the same day about 2 months ago!). No complaints so far tho :wink:

I think the army do 8 minute miles, 1.5 miles in 12 mins.

I hope I get the job like, it will be a massive pay cut tho £13,000 whilst you do your training !!?!!?!? But it goes up to £23k with submarine pay, + £5k bonus when you qualify as a submariner.. Still a lil less than I'm on now but it would be a good job I recon, plenty room for promotion especially if I get my BEng ;D! If I get it I don't think training would start until next year! But I don't care, it's a means to an end.

Can't believe you're doing 209 without 221 :l some guy I was talking to at a residential said he done MST209 and hadn't done any other maths courses, but only just scraped through.. Wish I had 221 out the way it's gettin' on me tits. Had to book a couple of hours private tuition for tomorrow to get some integration down cos i'm just not soaking the L2 bit up :l thought I'd best get some help with it being a pretty important part of maths, not something you can just struggle through and forget about!!

Edit: Happy birthday btw!
(edited 12 years ago)

I hope I get the job like...

Well done on having the courage to do something completely different, I've been in my job for 17 yrs, and while the pay's ok, I think its a case of me only going when pushed rather than going for my own reasons, mainly cos I love the job, but being the MoD, there is simply no promotion opportunities currently due to the cutbacks...
Reply 5118
Ambulances are fun, and I love driving on blue light etc but I wouldn't wanna do it forever.. No chance of promotion or better pay! Also very little appreciation, in 3 years I've had 2 letters of thanks (both arrived on the same day about 2 months ago!). No complaints so far tho :wink:

Hey Bleak Lemming!
Just wondering how you cope with the studying, while working full-time in shifts?

I`ll be in the same boat starting in April (German EMS, will be studying towards BA English Literature).

Are you still an IHCD Para or is this your second degree?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5119
Wow, drunken ramblings. What a strange night. At least the assignment went in the post.. I think.

Being a submariner still sounds as cool as it did 8 hours ago though. Is that why you switched to the BEng from physics?

For the integration bits, I think I used KhanAcademy and PatrickJMT.com. Khan for the initial learning and Patrick for some more difficult examples. The process seems to have stuck because of how he introduced it by messing the with differentiation rules. It also seemed to help to do a few hundred practice problems rather than rely on the book as I find the number of exercises quite low.

I think the reason I got behind with MST209 was I kept getting side-tracked and exploring proofs of things (or attempting to anyway). It's lucky that it's so well written so far, or I'd be in real trouble. Can't really imagine going straight there from nothing though :eek: that's insane.

Edit: Happy birthday btw!

Thanks :biggrin: It's going to be a do nothing day for once. Ahh relaxing.

I Hope your tutoring goes well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending