The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Open University Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Vorenus
Oh, that`s cool. :smile:
At first I thought about doing the BA English Language and Literature, but I thought there were not enough possibilities to choose Literature modules and I`m really not that much interested in language theory.

I was doing English Lang and Lit but it's not much interesting tbh you have to take 2 lang modules. And I will only do this one u214 and I want to have a chance to study another lit module, so English Lit it is!
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 5241
Original post by Spinnerette
I was doing English Lang and Lit but it's not much interesting tbh you have to take 2 lang modules. And I will only do this one u214 and I want to have a chance to study another lit module, so English Lit it is!

Yeah, that was my thinking. I might go down the Creative Writing route, and that wouldn`t even be possible with Eng Lang & Lit, at least not fully. You could only take the Advanced Creative Writing course, but not the Level 2 beginners/introductory course, for you need to study Reading and studying Literature and some 60 point language module at Level 2. :s-smilie:
Original post by Vorenus
Yeah, that was my thinking. I might go down the Creative Writing route, and that wouldn`t even be possible with Eng Lang & Lit, at least not fully. You could only take the Advanced Creative Writing course, but not the Level 2 beginners/introductory course, for you need to study Reading and studying Literature and some 60 point language module at Level 2. :s-smilie:

yea i wish i took the creative writing course instead of u214 now, but im going straight into the level 3 creative writing course because level 3 is weighted more to your degree classification than level 2. otherwise i would have taken the level 2 creative writing one.

good luck, it's nice to find others studying the same and similar pathways as me.

right now im reading James Joyce, Dubliners and will be rewatching Metropolis, then the readings in both chapters :smile: for a230.
Reply 5243
Original post by Spinnerette
yea i wish i took the creative writing course instead of u214 now, but im going straight into the level 3 creative writing course because level 3 is weighted more to your degree classification than level 2. otherwise i would have taken the level 2 creative writing one.

good luck, it's nice to find others studying the same and similar pathways as me.

right now im reading James Joyce, Dubliners and will be rewatching Metropolis, then the readings in both chapters :smile: for a230.

Metropolis sure is a cool movie.
What modules have you taken at L1 besides AA100? I`m a bit at loss what to do after A182 and AA100, for I need another 15 pointer. Might to be taking Contemporary Wales, though, if I really like A 182.
I`d like to do Voices and Textes, but unfortunately it only ever starts in October and I wanted do the L1 courses at its best in one year, and after that maybe spend more time on the more time-consuming L2/3 courses.
Making sense of things would start next May, I think, which would be a cool time, but I don`t really think I would enjoy the course really much, from what I`ve read.
Might end up doing a 30 pointer language introductory course (possibly italian). :wink:
Guys I need some advice. I need to score at least 100% (LOL) in my final TMA to remain on course for a 2:1 in that module or 90 for a grade 3 as I need a 2:1 overall and as I've gathered two grade 2s and two grade 3s would snatch me a 2:1?

I need some advice on how to make this TMA the best possible TMA ever as there's a lot riding on it. It's due in for the 22nd so not quite the night before. I've done part 1 already which was 500 words.. Basically it's on what sources I use on political issues affecting fundraising. If there's anyone out there who's ever got 100% on TMA who can advise me or close enough please please please offer me your insight and wisdom. I will be eternally grateful. The end is almost in sight but it's a long slog to the top.

I want to fufil my dream of that 2:1 and get that pure silver OU graduation ring I always wanted :smile:
If it was a maths or possibly science module you might have had a shot at getting 100% as you can get answers exactly right. But an essay based L3 module, you do very well to get over 80%.
Original post by Nitebot
If it was a maths or possibly science module you might have had a shot at getting 100% as you can get answers exactly right. But an essay based L3 module, you do very well to get over 80%.

well my only hope is to look at the marks scheme and follow closely and try to meet all the criteria as close as possible.
Go back through your previous TMAs for the module, and see what feedback the tutor gave? Might give you some clues...
Ok I'm gonna try and take on T173 Block 2 today. Need to get a minimum of 40 pages read + half of TMA02, then I'll finish off the rest of it tomorrow. Need it all done by the 25th March but preferably sooner as I'm off skiing next week o.O! Don't think I'll get anything done when I'm there.
Reply 5249
Hello everyone,

I'm new here and thought that I'd jump straight into this discussion as I started an OU course this year. To be honest, I've heard lots of good things about the OU but I can't say that's it's very challenging. Then again, it's still early days yet and I'd really love to get into it a little more and maybe go as far as completing a degree. :rolleyes:

I am studying languages, which I have done for many years at traditional colleges. My main issue with this OU course so far, is that there is practically no speaking element or time to practise the language. Reading books is simply not enough, and as a language teacher myself, this is something I constantly nag my students about... :tongue: Perhaps I'm just used to the face-to-face element of studying languages.

What do you all think about the concept of studying languages with the OU? Is a week-long residential course really enough? Is it worth me continuing next year? :confused:
Some questions from me:

I notice that some are studying 2 modules at once. How difficult is this? There are no 60 point L2 maths modules that I'm interested in doing; so need to look at 2 30 point courses.

According to www.ouw.co.uk you can order the course materials and self-teach without taking exams, submitting TMAs, etc. Is it worth it? I want to study a language; but really don't want to pay for another degree. (currently studying a BSc Open Degree)
Original post by OU Student
Some questions from me:

I notice that some are studying 2 modules at once. How difficult is this? There are no 60 point L2 maths modules that I'm interested in doing; so need to look at 2 30 point courses.

I'd be weary of this as the L2 modules, particularly MST209, prepares students for what is to follow at L3. I wouldn't dream of taking some of the L3 modules without taking MST209. If you're interested in pure maths then you should probably take M208. However, it may be different for statistics.
Original post by Azariah
Hello everyone,

I'm new here and thought that I'd jump straight into this discussion as I started an OU course this year. To be honest, I've heard lots of good things about the OU but I can't say that's it's very challenging. Then again, it's still early days yet and I'd really love to get into it a little more and maybe go as far as completing a degree. :rolleyes:

I am studying languages, which I have done for many years at traditional colleges. My main issue with this OU course so far, is that there is practically no speaking element or time to practise the language. Reading books is simply not enough, and as a language teacher myself, this is something I constantly nag my students about... :tongue: Perhaps I'm just used to the face-to-face element of studying languages.

What do you all think about the concept of studying languages with the OU? Is a week-long residential course really enough? Is it worth me continuing next year? :confused:

Hi there and welcome! :smile: There is a language thread already in progress plus there's been one or two other threads where the pros and cons of studying languages with the OU have been discussed.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1874218
Some questions from me:

According to www.ouw.co.uk you can order the course materials and self-teach without taking exams, submitting TMAs, etc. Is it worth it? I want to study a language; but really don't want to pay for another degree. (currently studying a BSc Open Degree)

It can be difficult studying two modules at once. I did an L2 and L3 together some years back and ended up ditching the L3 course. Very annoyed as if I'd used my tutor more I might have got through it. The problem isn't necessarily the difficulty but the time pressure. You might have to submit two long winded TMA's within days of each other. Hard enough but what if you've had a bad week at work or at home or are feeling unwell in the run up to the submission dates? It can be a lot of pressure.
Reply 5254
Original post by Nitebot
Hi there and welcome! :smile: There is a language thread already in progress plus there's been one or two other threads where the pros and cons of studying languages with the OU have been discussed.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1874218

I didn't know there were other threads about the OU. Thanks! :biggrin:
Original post by Nitebot
It can be difficult studying two modules at once. I did an L2 and L3 together some years back and ended up ditching the L3 course. Very annoyed as if I'd used my tutor more I might have got through it. The problem isn't necessarily the difficulty but the time pressure. You might have to submit two long winded TMA's within days of each other. Hard enough but what if you've had a bad week at work or at home or are feeling unwell in the run up to the submission dates? It can be a lot of pressure.

This is my concern. It's bad enough doing one OU course (30 points) and GCSE English.
This is my concern. It's bad enough doing one OU course (30 points) and GCSE English.

Yes true. October - December was bad for me as I did a 60 & a 10 which meant just before the Xmas holiday, when everyone's busy, I had an iCMA, TMA and EMA to do at the same time.

Having said that, many people do two or more modules and cope fine. Many are probably spurred on by the fact that every extra year they take, thousands of new graduates are rolling off the production line. So some want to get the degree done as fast as they can and get into the graudate job market.
Thanks guys. :smile:
Reply 5258
Some questions from me:

People have different experiences with studying multiple modules - I've always studied more than 1 and have found it fine. I work full time. I'm currently doing 2 x 30 point level 3 modules, and 1 x 30 point level 1 (which I basically ignore and just do the minimum I need to for the TMAs - doesn't count towards my classification and I'm not interested in the subject, only doing it for the points!). I've previously done 90 points of level 2 (1 x 60 point, 1 x 30 point) and in my first year I did 2 x 30 point level 1s and started a 30 point level 2 halfway through them.
Reply 5259
One of my tutors is ill and has thus had to drop out of tutoring, so that explains why one of my TMAs isn't back yet. But that was only due on 12th, and the other has no excuse and I've been waiting longer!

Quick Reply

Latest