The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Visit website

Open University Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Thats the problm with level 1 stuff, its all spoon fed, you want challenging? Wait till you do the level 2 stuff..Just go along for the ride at level 1
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Visit website
Reply 5301
My previous L1's were better than this even my 15 credit one. I've done L2's before and find them must better. Currently doing a L2 alongside this and doing L2 + 3 next.
Reply 5302
right options:

K217 Oct '12 (60) Adult health, social care and wellbeing | K319 Feb '13 (60) Adulthood, ageing and the life course THEN S240 Oct '13 (30) Analytical science: health, heritage and environments | SK277 Oct '13 (30) Human biology | K311 Feb '14 (60) Promoting public health: skills, perspectives and practice

or

S240 Oct '12 (30) Analytical science: health, heritage and environments | SK277 Oct '12 (30) Human biology | K311 Feb '13 (60) Promoting public health: skills, perspectives and practice THEN K217 Oct '13 (60) Adult health, social care and wellbeing | K319 Feb '14 (60) Adulthood, ageing and the life course

All my L2's start in October and my L3's start in Feb so have to mix & match.
Reply 5303
Has everyone recieved their e-mail, telling them they`ll be eligible for the transitional agreement, yet?
I`ve talked to the OU on the phone some days back, because I wasn`t able to declare the transitional agreement, and they told me you are only able to, if you have recieved that e-mail. Told me it would come "sometime in March"...
I don`t know, tomorrow opens the registration for the October modules, and I don`t wanna risk missing a place, but I can`t register for the module without the bloody registration... :frown:
It should show on your studenthome page, in red writing at the top, you have to fill a form in online
Reply 5305
Yeah, the problem is, it doesn`t. :wink:
ring the phone-monkeys at the OU 08453006090 they should be able to sort it....no panic though, you have till 1st september to get it in
Reply 5307
Original post by bufferz
ring the phone-monkeys at the OU 08453006090 they should be able to sort it....no panic though, you have till 1st september to get it in

Yeah, gotta do this tomorrow (wanted to do it today, but couldn`t find a quiet minute at work).
I`m just a little bit concerned about maybe not getting into the module, because I can`t register for it if I haven`t declared first (maybe I´m just too jumpy).
Final TMA submitted. Now all that's lefft are 3 EMAs and a rock hard exam. My chances of getting this 2:1 are well and truly in the balance and I may well have to plead my case via special circumstances.....it ain't over until it's over!
Reply 5309
Ugh MST209 is horrible. Pretty sure I'm going to drop it if it doesn't improve after this block. It seems I work a problem and the whole thing is entirely wrong because they decided to change their frame of reference. Since when does something raised 77m above the ground have zero potential energy? FFS. Every damn question they do this.

While I'm here, what is it with this 'let's investigate our way to re-inventing the wheel'? No.. let's not. How about you teach, and I try to understand, visualise then apply. This is how passing on information generally works. If I wanted to re-investigate my way through hundreds of years of scientific discoveries, I wouldn't have signed up to be taught.

Add to that I'm surrounded by people sounding off on the forums about how they got their second maths degree twenty years ago and how easy this is. Thanks for inflating the boundaries in the name of 'fun'.

****, I ****ing hope for the large **** green ****er on Monday. :angry:

Feeling much better after that rant :smile: Apologies to anyone that reads it. It's been building up for a while now.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5310
Had my first two level 3 TMAs back - 90% for T320 and 83% for M359, very pleased with both - especially T320, a lot of people were saying they did much worse than they were hoping so I was pleasantly surprised!
Original post by Moggs
Ugh MST209 is horrible.

rant

I swear I remember you saying it was so well written a while ago. When did it change??? I'm still on block 1.

Reassure me that it isn't so bad? :colondollar:
Reply 5312
Howdy folks ? Frantically battling against time to complete an assignment (S

104) :biggrin::frown: .How long do they take to "travel" :eek: Supposed to be in by 2359 hrs

I will not get in to this predicament again :biggrin: .
Argh I'm going into meltdown here so much going on don't know what to do:

April 12th - GRE entrance exam for universities.

April 17th - B628 EMA due

Apriil 19th - B629 EMA due

April 27th- B625 Examination

May 15th - B322 EMA due.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!
Original post by any_name
Howdy folks ? Frantically battling against time to complete an assignment (S

104) :biggrin::frown: .How long do they take to "travel" :eek: Supposed to be in by 2359 hrs

I will not get in to this predicament again :biggrin: .

It will be fine if you send it at 23.59 and not a minute later :smile:
I'm not sure what they do if it's late, though.
You'll have to log in and click through a few screens, so leave a few minutes for that.
Reply 5315
Original post by Piko_Piko
It will be fine if you send it at 23.59 and not a minute later :smile:
I'm not sure what they do if it's late, though.
You'll have to log in and click through a few screens, so leave a few minutes for that.

If it's only a few mins late it probably won't make any difference. Any longer and you officially need to agree an extension in advance or your tutor can refuse to mark it so you score 0.
Original post by Juno
If it's only a few mins late it probably won't make any difference. Any longer and you officially need to agree an extension in advance or your tutor can refuse to mark it so you score 0.

What horrid tutor would do this. Mine have been pretty awsome so far :smile:
Reply 5317
Original post by Bleak Lemming
What horrid tutor would do this. Mine have been pretty awsome so far :smile:

That's the official rule. They'd probably only stick to it in extreme circumstances - like you hand everything in late. But that's what they can do, so it's best to behave.
Reply 5318
Original post by Piko_Piko
I swear I remember you saying it was so well written a while ago. When did it change??? I'm still on block 1.

Reassure me that it isn't so bad? :colondollar:

It isn't so bad :cool: I'd just gone from study to work, back to study again and had been awake for close to 48 hours. By that point, everything looked bad. It is well written I reckon, but the part about so many people with maths and various maths heavy science degrees in the forum doing it for fun and no doubt inflating grade boundaries is true.

I've had another look today, and considering the little I have left and how quickly assignment 2 could be completed, it looks like I'll actually gain ground this week. Had a look at the SEP also and it seems doable.

When did you start yours? I hadn't realised you were doing MST209 too.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5319
Original post by Moggs
It isn't so bad :cool: I'd just gone from study to work, back to study again and had been awake for close to 48 hours. By that point, everything looked bad. It is well written I reckon, but the part about so many people with maths and various maths heavy science degrees in the forum doing it for fun and no doubt inflating grade boundaries is true.

Some of these people are amazingly helpful. I postponed MST209 to grab the last M338 presentation partly because I thought there would be a lot of these people doing it while they could. The discussions are great.
I'm not sure if they are a large proportion of the total intake for L2/3 maths (they will be disproportionately visible for starters) and no idea about the grade boundary thing. I deflated M359 pretty thoroughly a few years ago:biggrin:

Quick Reply