The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Open University Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5380
SK143 for the Health Sci pathway. They've just put Understanding Cardiovascular Diseases (15 credits) and Understanding Cancer (15 credits) together and called it Topics in Health Science (30 credits).

Likewise for S141 and S142 for the Natural Sciences degree.

But I wouldnt pay any attention to the "new" L1 30 credit modules. I think it's just to simplify things for new OU students.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
It's 'cos the smallest module people will be able to get a student loan towards will be 30-credits.
Reply 5382
Woohoo! Other TMA has finally come back (though this is the one where the tutor was ill and had to be replaced, so it hasn't been that long for the new tutor really) and I got 68. Pleased with that.
Reply 5383
Original post by Gridiron-Gangster
i need advice please. EMAs due in 17th and 19th not started yet due to an exam on the 12th,

I decided its best to focus on the exam so won't start EMAs till the 12th please can someone advise me how long I should spend if i want to get a grade 1 in the EMAs? BTW these are my extensions so I can't have anymore.

So much on my plate but needs to be done please help me! :frown:

Good luck with your exam today :smile:
Reply 5384
Spent so long on my topology TMA it's due tomorrow. Set off on a 50-mile round trip to hand deliver it and my car is now outside a local shop refusing to start.
Marvellous
Reply 5385
Original post by sputum
Spent so long on my topology TMA it's due tomorrow. Set off on a 50-mile round trip to hand deliver it and my car is now outside a local shop refusing to start.
Marvellous

You could always email or phone and ask for an extension :smile: I had to do that for my last assignment about 12 hours before the last post went, but fortunately my request was heard.
o.O just bought a Canon EOS 600D and signed up for a photography course with the open college of the arts :l i should REALLY be crackin on with my TMAs bah!
Reply 5387
Original post by Moggs
You could always email or phone and ask for an extension :smile: I had to do that for my last assignment about 12 hours before the last post went, but fortunately my request was heard.

I've posted it (with a cert) and emailed my tutor.

Are you doing the MST209 resi this year? It doesn't sound like my cup of tea but I've decided against waiting until MST209 expires and hoping for a non-resi replacement.

Original post by Bleak Lemming
o.O just bought a Canon EOS 600D and signed up for a photography course with the open college of the arts :l i should REALLY be crackin on with my TMAs bah!

If you're scoring in the nineties you might not need much for 221 TMA4 to get an 85%+ OCAS. I need 62 and I've skipped a lot of mathcad tma bits.
But it's a sweetie with zero mathcad and right in my zone so I'm going to go for the max.
I've looked through a few past papers and I have no idea why they let you take a calculator in, it's not like you really use it for anything.

I did exactly the same thing, except I bought a 550D. Which are you doing, the introductory photography one? Be quite nice to know someone else doing it.
Original post by sputum
I've posted it (with a cert) and emailed my tutor.

Are you doing the MST209 resi this year? It doesn't sound like my cup of tea but I've decided against waiting until MST209 expires and hoping for a non-resi replacement.

If you're scoring in the nineties you might not need much for 221 TMA4 to get an 85%+ OCAS. I need 62 and I've skipped a lot of mathcad tma bits.
But it's a sweetie with zero mathcad and right in my zone so I'm going to go for the max.
I've looked through a few past papers and I have no idea why they let you take a calculator in, it's not like you really use it for anything.

I've no worries about the TMAs as with them we have all the time in the world to do them, and have text books to hand. The exam I am worried about, got the black badge press past exam paper answers to run over once I finish block 4 (which I haven't even started yet) so hope to learn a lot with them. From what I can gather there is a pattern in the exam papers so as long as I can learn line for line how to do what tends to come up in the exams then I should be OK. I think I'll struggle to get 85% in the exam tho which makes me sad :frown:.. I'll be over the moon with 75% tho, as long as I can get a 2:1 overall I'll be happy.

I was quite excited for MST209 in Oct but since Moggs had done nothing but slate it I'm a bit apprehensive now :frown:
Original post by Persipan
I did exactly the same thing, except I bought a 550D. Which are you doing, the introductory photography one? Be quite nice to know someone else doing it.

Yeah I've went for the "Photography 1 - The Art of Photography". I was gonna do the painting courses but thought this may be more useful, and I really wanted a nice camera :smile: I toyed with the idea of the 550D as they're pretty much the same thing by the looks of it but thought I may as well just go for the newer version.

When did you sign up? Want my materials NOWWW so that I can get started :P haven't even had my camera delivered yet - should get it next week some time.
Yeah I've went for the "Photography 1 - The Art of Photography". I was gonna do the painting courses but thought this may be more useful, and I really wanted a nice camera :smile: I toyed with the idea of the 550D as they're pretty much the same thing by the looks of it but thought I may as well just go for the newer version.

When did you sign up? Want my materials NOWWW so that I can get started :P haven't even had my camera delivered yet - should get it next week some time.

I've had the stuff for a week or so; I just haven't actually done anything with it yet. It came jolly quickly (and via a courier who aren't totally pants, so one up on the OU there). A book of history-of-photography type stuff; and a folder of exercises, and a few bits and bobs. From what I can see on their forums, people doing it seem to say that even if you think the initial exercises are basic, it's worth doing them as they help you to get to grips with your camera, and technique, and whatnot. The first set of exercises are literally a 'getting to know your camera' sort of thing.

The only thing that's a bit odd is that, because people can start whenever, it's not like OU stuff where everyone is doing more or less the same things at more or less the same time - which is why it'd be quite nice to know someone else doing it. Have you got your login stuff yet?
Reply 5392
I've no worries about the TMAs as with them we have all the time in the world to do them, and have text books to hand. The exam I am worried about, got the black badge press past exam paper answers to run over once I finish block 4 (which I haven't even started yet) so hope to learn a lot with them. From what I can gather there is a pattern in the exam papers so as long as I can learn line for line how to do what tends to come up in the exams then I should be OK. I think I'll struggle to get 85% in the exam tho which makes me sad :frown:.. I'll be over the moon with 75% tho, as long as I can get a 2:1 overall I'll be happy.

I was quite excited for MST209 in Oct but since Moggs had done nothing but slate it I'm a bit apprehensive now :frown:

Don't let my incessant complaining put you off :colondollar: Bear in mind I didn't do MS221, so that's no doubt making things more challenging.
I've had the stuff for a week or so; I just haven't actually done anything with it yet. It came jolly quickly (and via a courier who aren't totally pants, so one up on the OU there). A book of history-of-photography type stuff; and a folder of exercises, and a few bits and bobs. From what I can see on their forums, people doing it seem to say that even if you think the initial exercises are basic, it's worth doing them as they help you to get to grips with your camera, and technique, and whatnot. The first set of exercises are literally a 'getting to know your camera' sort of thing.

The only thing that's a bit odd is that, because people can start whenever, it's not like OU stuff where everyone is doing more or less the same things at more or less the same time - which is why it'd be quite nice to know someone else doing it. Have you got your login stuff yet?

I have literally just ordered my camera online, and paid for the course about two hours ago - so hopefully I should receive my materials some time next week :biggrin: I like the idea that you can go as quickly or as slowly as you like. I think I'll get a lot of the stuff done when I'm at work. From what I can gather you're able to pick up 20 mins here and there, unlike MS221 where you literally have to study for 2 hours without interruption or else you don't learn anything! Can't wait to be honest :biggrin: Think I'll make a little website out of it too, have had a domain for a month now and don't know what to do with it! www.seancharlton.com

Original post by Moggs
Don't let my incessant complaining put you off :colondollar: Bear in mind I didn't do MS221, so that's no doubt making things more challenging.

I'm still scared :ahhhhh: It's just such a big module! Just want my MS221 exam out the way!! Bricking it - not even gonna lie.
o.O just bought a Canon EOS 600D and signed up for a photography course with the open college of the arts :l i should REALLY be cracking on with my TMAs bah!

What's all this about then?!! Moonlighting with another distance learning institution! Is the OU not working you hard enough? Some people have too much time on their hands!! :biggrin:

I'm still scared :ahhhhh: It's just such a big module! Just want my MS221 exam out the way!! Bricking it - not even gonna lie.

You won't get on your submarine without it! :smile:
Reply 5396

It's different for different people I guess but I have looked at MS221 past papers quite a lot and attempted chunks of them. My memory is bad enough that I can do the same ones over and over without remembering the answers, attempting similar question across years concurrently and not giving a toss about how long I take to do them as long as they are done correctly.
Wasting them on (or saving them for) timed runs would be a criminal waste for someone who can pour as much time into (aka get ridiculously obsessive about) exam revision as I can/do.
The better your memory the more past papers you will need:biggrin:

Original post by Moggs

I did M208 before MS221 and had to skip the integration completely. 209 would have been a car crash:smile:
More interested in the linear algebra than the calculus but it's all maths I guess
Original post by Nitebot
What's all this about then?!! Moonlighting with another distance learning institution! Is the OU not working you hard enough? Some people have too much time on their hands!! :biggrin:

Well, speaking for myself, it's not so much having too much time on my hands as being an idiot...
Can't wait to be honest :biggrin: Think I'll make a little website out of it too, have had a domain for a month now and don't know what to do with it! www.seancharlton.com

That's good - you can put some (or all) of your learning log stuff in online form...
Well, speaking for myself, it's not so much having too much time on my hands as being an idiot...

Ah, very honest! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending