The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Open University Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bleak Lemming
Buts you're leaving us :frown:

I haven't left yet. Deadline for final EMA is May 15th although the sooner I can get it done the sooner I can go off on holiday and then start work at the Olympics etc.

I won't be leaving entirely I'll still drop in now and then and hopefully if I get the results and get onto what I want to do and where I want to be then it'd be a good example of why the OU system works.

It sounds strange to say this but I quite enjoyed it today.....I hope that doesn't tempt fate. It just made everything I learnt seem real and relevant being in a nice Victorian building exam hall with other students and invigilators and being used to MCQs exam papers it was quite a refreshing change to be doing essay based questions. Even though I had extra time, it's never enough time!
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Original post by Gridiron-Gangster
I haven't left yet. Deadline for final EMA is May 15th although the sooner I can get it done the sooner I can go off on holiday and then start work at the Olympics etc.

I won't be leaving entirely I'll still drop in now and then and hopefully if I get the results and get onto what I want to do and where I want to be then it'd be a good example of why the OU system works.

It sounds strange to say this but I quite enjoyed it today.....I hope that doesn't tempt fate. It just made everything I learnt seem real and relevant being in a nice Victorian building exam hall with other students and invigilators and being used to MCQs exam papers it was quite a refreshing change to be doing essay based questions. Even though I had extra time, it's never enough time!

I have so many deadlines coming up
CMA 9th May
CMA 28th May
2x TMAs 30th May
& an exam on 15th June - My first ever OU exam (and first proper exam since school probably about 4 years ago).

Totally off topic but Homeland, what an great TV show. Kinda reminds me of 24 but toned down a little :smile: I hate having to wait around for the next series to come out tho.
I have so many deadlines coming up
CMA 9th May
CMA 28th May
2x TMAs 30th May
& an exam on 15th June - My first ever OU exam (and first proper exam since school probably about 4 years ago).

Totally off topic but Homeland, what an great TV show. Kinda reminds me of 24 but toned down a little :smile: I hate having to wait around for the next series to come out tho.

You'll be fine just don't do what I do and leave it all late. What are studying again?
Original post by Gridiron-Gangster
Nobody wants to chat to GG anymore?

Strangely enough, I think most people were in bed at 2.21am!! :biggrin:

Anyway, nearly all over for you. Will be a good feeling to get it all done I'm sure!
Original post by Moggs

None yet :smile: I was really happy with it when I finally submitted though. I've been checking the post all week.

Ahh good stuff. Should be fine then:smile:

A fair few on 121 aren't feeling happy about TMA04, should stick one of your TMAs infront of us to show us how lucky we are:colone:
93% on T173 TMA02 :biggrin:

OK so who's chillin on here with me tonight?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5526
93% on T173 TMA02 :biggrin:

OK so who's chillin on here with me tonight?

Grats matey :smile: I'm relaxing for a bit this time, no books tonight.

Edit - wow, could you have possibly obtained any more deadlines?

Original post by SubAtomic
Ahh good stuff. Should be fine then:smile:

A fair few on 121 aren't feeling happy about TMA04, should stick one of your TMAs infront of us to show us how lucky we are:colone:

:biggrin: Oddly enough, a glance at the TMA questions wouldn't look too intimidating I don't think. Doing them on the other hand.. hurts my head.

How did you do with the one they're not happy with?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Moggs
Grats matey :smile: I'm relaxing for a bit this time, no books tonight.

Edit - wow, could you have possibly obtained any more deadlines?

:biggrin: Oddly enough, a glance at the TMA questions wouldn't look too intimidating I don't think. Doing them on the other hand.. hurts my head.

I've got the books out but they're on the table and I'm on the sofa watching American Pie with a takeaway :biggrin: Plan for me is to just do the minimum for MST121 assignments because they don't really count and crack on with the revision ASAP. Then got T173 TMA03 due in at the end of June ahhh! I should reeeallly be working right now. Never mind - not back to work until 10th May due to a gammy knee from skiing (such a fortunate accident :wink: )
Original post by Moggs

Lol yeah that old make it look easy to look at trick, I have had that happen.

Won't know on TMA 4 till August I think. Still am happy with what have got so far.

Got my highest mark ever with TMA 3 (the calculus one) very good result as wasn't even sure that I had the right answer on a couple of questions.

Quietly confident of a %80+ though :cool:
Writing up the most boring EMA of them all, T397, once its gone its gone, hoping to have it done this weekend, doing an hour then having a break for about 20-30mins, its that crap....
Original post by bufferz
Writing up the most boring EMA of them all, T397, once its gone its gone, hoping to have it done this weekend, doing an hour then having a break for about 20-30mins, its that crap....

What do you have to do for that?

I'll be doing T191 later next year when I have time, then T397 the year after.
they basically give you a stanley knife blade, and you must hold it in your hand whilst doing the TMAs, you pass if you dont manage to slice your own wrists open.....

Its all this navel gazing crap, and trying to make up evidence to match key skills, its easy enough to do, in fact theres nothing to do, which is why its so hard to write about it... Things like matching your skills to the UK-Spec for Incorp engineer or chartered engineer...
MST209 TMA deadlines for Oct start...

TMA 01 28 November
TMA 02 19 December
TMA 03 30 January
CMA 41 6 February
TMA 04 27 February
TMA 05 27 March
TMA 06 1 May
TMA 07 22 May
CMA 42 29 May
Exam ?? June

Damn that's pretty fast pace! Anybody know what the deadlines are like for T207 on a Feb start? (approximately).

Cheers

Bleak
Also debating MSXR209 next year cos registration is open and there's plenty spaces :s-smilie:... Hmm I'll have to check out my planned modules - don't wanna waste £500 but I really fancy it.

--- EDIT ---

Just done the maths and I'm already doing 380 credits so I can't justify the expense cos I wouldn't be putting it onto the degree :'( Oh well..
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5534
is that just mst209?
regged for it this morning, it takes a million more screens than it used to.
definitely doing the residential.

managed to win my first poker tourney in a few months
Original post by sputum
is that just mst209?
regged for it this morning, it takes a million more screens than it used to.
definitely doing the residential.

managed to win my first poker tourney in a few months

Yeahh just MST209 can't wait :P
Reply 5536
I'm taking it easy atm. Next TMA due mid-June, then August 31st:smile:
chugging back through linear algebra, I worked out how to do the exam questions without realising wtf it was about:smile:
hopefully 209 can slay my calculus demons
Haha good luck with that :smile:

Question for everybody. Why are OU grade boundaries so high?? Like 85% for a first, and 70% for a 2:1 (i think), compared to 75% and 60% for a conventional uni. :'(
Reply 5538
MST209 TMA deadlines for Oct start...

TMA 01 28 November
TMA 02 19 December
TMA 03 30 January
CMA 41 6 February
TMA 04 27 February
TMA 05 27 March
TMA 06 1 May
TMA 07 22 May
CMA 42 29 May
Exam ?? June

Damn that's pretty fast pace! Anybody know what the deadlines are like for T207 on a Feb start? (approximately).

Cheers

Bleak

I'm not sure about a Feb start, but here's last year's January start to give you some idea.

Assignment: TMA 01 (cut-off date 17 February)
Assignment: TMA 02 (cut-off date 14 April)
Assignment: TMA 03 (cut-off date 26 May)
Assignment: TMA 04 (cut-off date 30 June)
Assignment: TMA 17 (cut-off date 14 July) (Exam practice, optional)
Assignment: TMA 05 (cut-off date 18 August)
Assignment: TMA 06 (cut-off date 8 September)

And the exam was about 11th October iirc.

Original post by sputum
chugging back through linear algebra, I worked out how to do the exam questions without realising wtf it was about:smile:

:laugh: I'm going to need to learn how to do that this year.

Congrats on your Poker win. I'll send you an SAE, and you can send the prizes along as we agreed.
(edited 11 years ago)
Haha good luck with that :smile:

Question for everybody. Why are OU grade boundaries so high?? Like 85% for a first, and 70% for a 2:1 (i think), compared to 75% and 60% for a conventional uni. :'(

I've noticed that the marking scheme's quite generous, so far. Maybe it's more generous that other unis'. :dontknow:

Quick Reply

Latest