The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Open University Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bleak Lemming
Me again..

Engineers...... T307?? 'Innovation: designing for a sustainable future' 60 credit L3 module.. Is it worth doing instead of 2 of the other L3 modules??

From what I can gather, working as a say.. chartered engineer for a firm may well involve analysing costs etc will it not? would the managerial skills learned from this module outweigh the more technical aspects of two other modules, say MST326 / T356?? What does postgrad study tend to focus on?? I haven't a clue about what working as an engineer entails, I just ended up taking out this degree on a whim as I like practical side of physics (mechanics etc), I'm alright at maths, & I want a 9 til 5 job which pays 'OK'.. So not sure what employers would want / expect of a newbie.. I plan on doing a masters after and no idea what that will entail after either?

I suppose I'd have to look at whether or not I'd be accredited if I took this module too..

Its an accredited course with the IET, im doing it now....You basically research a problem you think of, then design the solutions for it, im on tma3 now. I chose it cos theres no exam (Cos its the exams that are biggering me up results wise)
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Original post by bufferz
Its an accredited course with the IET, im doing it now....You basically research a problem you think of, then design the solutions for it, im on tma3 now. I chose it cos theres no exam (Cos its the exams that are biggering me up results wise)

That sounds pretty semi-interesting.. Is it possible to achieve high TMA marks over 85%? Also, what format are the TMAs? Long essays?

Big decision to make but could be worth while.. I'll have to have a big think. Would be nice not to have an exam for half of L3!
The OU may significantly decrease my life expectancy.

Been up since yesterday noon. Just had a 2 hour nap and now I have to go to work for a 6pm-6am shift...

God help me.
pm me your email address, ill send you the first block book..
Reply 5724
Can I change course direction?

I am 23 unemployed and currently studying DD101 Introducing the social sciences and at the half way stage.

I am not really finding this area interesting and I don't think I want to work in this area (anything in the social science). I only chose this area to start me off studying with the OU (It's my first OU course).

I was thinking about choosing to study science S104 after this module or MU123 but it means instead of completing a degree in 5 more years it could take 10 more years because I have no background in this area (I've not got really any background in science or math) and I think I would eventually like to work in science or learn somthing with some actual use to a career or somthing I would find useful and interesting.

I am unsure as to what to do, I am unemployed and can only get funding for one module until I get a job, I thought I could just slowing work away at it while trying to get a job. I love the idea of having a degree in somthing like Science or maths but don't know if I have the background in those subjects to succeed. I have traditionally only ever done humanities subjects.

I suppose im having a bit of a Dilema over whether I should study somthing worthwile with the OU which will take some years longer to achieve but will proivide good employment prospects.

or

Do somthing through the OU which will take a shorter amount of time and I have a better chance of passing but I don't think I will enjoy it as much and it won't do much for my employment prospects.

Since I am unemployed and don't really have as much holding me back from full-time study as the typical OU student, I have also considered going back to college and doing a biomedical science university access course which could enable me to get get onto a HND or degree programme and could take about 4 or 5 years altogether but which could provide good employment prospects.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5725
Original post by tut123
Can I change course direction?

I am 23 unemployed and currently studying DD101 Introducing the social sciences and at the half way stage.

I am not really finding this area interesting and I don't think I want to work in this area (anything in the social science). I only chose this area to start me off studying with the OU (It's my first OU course).

I was thinking about choosing to study science S104 after this module or MU123 but it means instead of completing a degree in 5 more years it could take 10 more years because I have no background in this area (I've not got really any background in science or math) and I think I would eventually like to work in science or learn somthing with some actual use to a career or somthing I would find useful and interesting.

I am unsure as to what to do, I am unemployed and can only get funding for one module until I get a job, I thought I could just slowing work away at it while trying to get a job. I love the idea of having a degree in somthing like Science or maths but don't know if I have the background in those subjects to succeed. I have traditionally only ever done humanities subjects.

I suppose im having a bit of a Dilema over whether I should study somthing worthwile with the OU which will take some years longer to achieve but will proivide good employment prospects.

or

Do somthing through the OU which will take a shorter amount of time and I have a better chance of passing but I don't think I will enjoy it as much and it won't do much for my employment prospects.

Since I am unemployed and don't really have as much holding me back from full-time study as the typical OU student, I have also considered going back to college and doing a biomedical science university access course which could enable me to get get onto a HND or degree programme and could take about 4 or 5 years altogether but which could provide good employment prospects.

Firstly, whether or not you want to work in the social sciences I really recommend that you complete DD101. You can always transfer the credits to a new degree.

What other modules, if any, have you completed? Are you following a degree pathway just now?

S104 is an excellent module. It doesn't matter if you have no background in science. It isn't too advanced and it really is an excellent introduction to science in general and excellent preparation for L2 science modules. If you have a good set of GCSEs then you shouldn't have too much trouble. I have a D in Maths and I did quite well at it!! You just have to put the work in.

Please elaborate as to why you think it would take 10 more years to finish a science degree?? :confused:
Reply 5726
I havn't completed any other modules and I had entered the qualification as a BA/BSC Open degree.

I thought if I started doing science or even maths modules then I could try and do the same modules as a named degree which could help if I wanted to do a post graduate course at a brick uni.

Yeah I acheved a grade C in maths at GCSE and I have a good set of GCSE's although if I wanted to do a science degree or even a math degree and all the modules required then I would have to do a lot more modules than if doing a humanities course.(Humanities courses are usually 60 credits per year and after DD101 their would be five more which is really 5 more years of modules.

If I done S104 after I done DD101 then at least next year I would have 120 credits which is the same as an Open Cert of Higher Education. If I done S104 then I would also need the 9 months long 30 credit courses at level 2 or 3 which means more time.

I think 10 would be required because there are a lot more 30 credit modules in Science and Maths. The 30 credit modules still take 9 months, the same as a 60 credit and I can only get funding for one module a year until I get a job.

If after I finish DD101 for example and do S104 (60 credits, 9 months) and then 4*30 credit L2 Courses such as cell biology, human biology, practical science and science in context then this will = 36 months/3 years in total. After that then I would need the 4*30 credit modules such as Signals and perception: the science of the senses, Molecular and cell biology (S377), Evolution (S366), Ecosystems (S396), then this will= 36 months/3 year in total.

L1+L2+L3= 7 years (Excluding the 9 months spent on DD101 )
Okay it's not 10 years :smile: although it's still a long time and I would be 31 years old by then. I don't know if a post grad brick uni or employer would respect this as much because I wouldn't have any lab experience compared to the normal science graduate and I don't know whether I'll have had mch employmet between now and then.

That's the difference between Science and humanities courses I suppose, Science students would probably need some practical lab experience at some stage.

A science student at a brick uni would probably get lots of lab experience to practice things they have learn't.

L..O.V.E what modules and degree are you working towards?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by tut123

If you're happy to study full time for a few years then I'd definitely look at the Access to Science courses in order to get on a BSc at university. You'd be graduating in your late 20s, which contrary to some opinions, is still a young age to be starting out on a new career. There's a lot of people around your age doing them in the Mature students subforum. I'd only stick with the OU if you're planning to temp while you study. Obviously how you plan to finance yourself is important. A student loan may be the best solution if money is tight.
(edited 11 years ago)
hi everyone

now we have been informed cma 42 has been compromised and parts of tma 04 ????????
Reply 5729
Original post by maddfridge
hi everyone

now we have been informed cma 42 has been compromised and parts of tma 04 ????????

Then be very, very careful about what you say here or anywhere else. The OU will want to find out who is responsible, so you don't want to be suspected.
Reply 5730
Original post by Nitebot
If you're happy to study full time for a few years then I'd definitely look at the Access to Science courses in order to get on a BSc at university. You'd be graduating in your late 20s, which contrary to some opinions, is still a young age to be starting out on a new career. There's a lot of people around your age doing them in the Mature students subforum. I'd only stick with the OU if you're planning to temp while you study. Obviously how you plan to finance yourself is important. A student loan may be the best solution if money is tight.

There isn't many jobs at all and I find that while temping you find yourself in and out of work a lot and it's not a really stable life, I had thought about going back to college to do an Access course but their isn't really any funding for living expenses for the year while you complete the course.

A guy like me who is 23 and 24 around the time of starting a full time course would be around 29 or thirty when finally graduating but I suppose it would be in a worthwhile subject which could get me a stable job or get me onto the required post grad subject or qualifications.

Most people studying with OU at my age have kids or they are in a stable job. I don't have a job or any commitments at the moment but I still like the way the OU is so flexible, I can live free from uni debt and I can still try and find full-time work.

Im seriously considering sticking with the Open University but I don't think I want to continue in the social sciences, social sciences just arn't for me.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5731
Im seriously considering sticking with the Open University but I don't think I want to continue in the social sciences, social sciences just arn't for me.

I think I am better off sticking with trying to get a job and then staying with the OU for the long haul and as many years as it takes. There is also the option of part-time brick college if I had the time to do somthing else.

Due to the lack of lab experience with OU science type courses, I have considered going back to square one with study and trying to get math modules under my belt like MU123 and then following it up with other math modues or I could combine math with science and try for somthing like phisics.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5732
Finally finished the last MST121 TMA!

Realised I've lost my tutor's address though. Does anybody know if it's on studenthome somewhere (can't see it but it's not the easiest site to find stuff on!) or am I going to have to email and ask for it?
Reply 5733
Original post by Jaee
Finally finished the last MST121 TMA!

Realised I've lost my tutor's address though. Does anybody know if it's on studenthome somewhere (can't see it but it's not the easiest site to find stuff on!) or am I going to have to email and ask for it?

I don't think you can get addresses via studenthome, sorry.
maybe you have an email for letter from your tutor
sorry don't have a pen to hand and i'm at work and had an idea so just ignore this

note to self - apply for >120 creds to study T191 in oct
Reply 5735
Arrrghhh.... Got to submit my EMA by 1st June..
Original post by Anya15
Arrrghhh.... Got to submit my EMA by 1st June..

That's ages away. I left mine all to the last minute eek.
Reply 5737
Thanks :wink: I've written only 700 words. That's so sloooow...
> 120 credit appeal requested for T191 :biggrin: fingers crossed!
On TMAs do you lose points for incorrect referencing?
Because I've referenced the course book several times and also referenced other studies cited in the course book. For my long references I only have the course book listed. I don't know if it's right and I don't want to lose marks for stupid reasons.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending