Open University Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

exams scare me
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 6701
Original post by inksplodge
It's rather scary isn't it?? 22% get a pass 4, 25% get a pass 3 and 25% got a pass 2... 10% only got a pass 1. so errk.

I have an exam for M359 on Wednesday...in the 2011 results, 3.1% got a pass 1 and 15.5% got a pass 2. I should've looked at that before I signed up, haha :frown: I really want a pass 1 but I'd be more than happy with a pass 2 on this module. I planned ahead for next year - M362 had 24.7% of people get a pass 1! So at least I have more chance then.
Reply 6702
Original post by Bleak Lemming
MST209 TMA01 part 1 complete :biggrin:

nice, can't face it yet myself.

Exam paper came out and I think I did OK. The amount of paper I got through I should hope so:smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Kate.
I have an exam for M359 on Wednesday...in the 2011 results, 3.1% got a pass 1 and 15.5% got a pass 2. I should've looked at that before I signed up, haha :frown: I really want a pass 1 but I'd be more than happy with a pass 2 on this module. I planned ahead for next year - M362 had 24.7% of people get a pass 1! So at least I have more chance then.

:eek3: god that's scary. i will be happy with a pass3 on this course, it's been brutal!
MST209 exam this afternoon.

Bricking it. :frown:
Anybody else not got their grant yet? EVeryone I know seems to have theirs already :/
Reply 6706
I haven't posted here for a while, but I have a weird question.

I have an exam on Thurs. It's a 3 hour exam.

I have arthritis and can't write too good, so I get 30 mins rest break to be used as and when I like. Officially, that' 5 mins rest for 30 mins writing.

My exam has 2 parts: the first has 3 questions of 20 mins, then the second has 2 questions of an hour each.

How do I split my rest breaks?!

I don't really want to stop mid-question as I'll lose my flow, but there's no way I can write for an hour. I spose the logical thing to do is wait and see what feels right, but I'd like to have some idea of what to aim at as otherwise it just becomes a big scary mess. It's one less thing to worry about if I know I'll be fine.

I'm already worrying over what wrist support to take, if I should take a cushion, whether taking painkillers (in those blister back things) is acceptable, should I risk trying to park in town or will I be ok with the walk from the bus stop, if I'll be seated at the back again coz I feel I'm disturbing everyone else less and they disturb me less at the end, and loads of things like that.
Original post by Juno
I haven't posted here for a while, but I have a weird question.

I have an exam on Thurs. It's a 3 hour exam.

I have arthritis and can't write too good, so I get 30 mins rest break to be used as and when I like. Officially, that' 5 mins rest for 30 mins writing.

My exam has 2 parts: the first has 3 questions of 20 mins, then the second has 2 questions of an hour each.

How do I split my rest breaks?!

I don't really want to stop mid-question as I'll lose my flow, but there's no way I can write for an hour. I spose the logical thing to do is wait and see what feels right, but I'd like to have some idea of what to aim at as otherwise it just becomes a big scary mess. It's one less thing to worry about if I know I'll be fine.

I'm already worrying over what wrist support to take, if I should take a cushion, whether taking painkillers (in those blister back things) is acceptable, should I risk trying to park in town or will I be ok with the walk from the bus stop, if I'll be seated at the back again coz I feel I'm disturbing everyone else less and they disturb me less at the end, and loads of things like that.

Sounds like a nightmare! I'd say don't think too much into it - just take a break as and when you feel you need it. Perhaps aim to have a break after the first 2 questions (so 40 mins), then do your question 3 and plan the first 1 hr question, then have another break, then see how much longer you can go for before you need to take the next one.

Good luck with the exam!

I know how you feel re: worrying though. My BF is driving me to Lincoln (it's gonna take about an hr) but I'm worrying in case I don't know where to go, what if he's got nowhere to park etc etc then I have a hospital appt after my exam ahhhh.
(edited 11 years ago)
Good luck guys!

I still haven't decided what I'm going to do next.
Original post by OU Student
Good luck guys!

I still haven't decided what I'm going to do next.

What have you done so far? :P

I've got a 2 week backlog of DU301 atm. I've got to start that on Thursday night. My exam is Wednesday morning but I want to give myself a breather lol. SO glad I won't have any more exams !
What have you done so far? :P

MU123 (Introduction to Maths) and T215. (A computing module)

I have been advised that maybe maths isn't for me.
Original post by OU Student
MU123 (Introduction to Maths) and T215. (A computing module)

I have been advised that maybe maths isn't for me.

Have you thought about trying a different introductory module? :smile:
Original post by Piko_Piko
MST209 exam this afternoon.

Bricking it. :frown:

@ you & moggs

how'd it go?
:eek3:
Original post by Bleak Lemming
@ you & moggs

how'd it go?

Meh. Realised just after it had finished where I'd gone wrong on a 5-mark question, fluffed up a big question completely and couldn't solve the very first question, which was an easy natural log one. :redface:
Disappointed in myself, really. :frown:

:eek3:

You okay? :erm:
Original post by Juno

My guess would be that you're likely to get tired-er and achier as you go along, so I'd plan to stack the breaks towards the end, since you might need them more then. I'd definitely plan some break time in between the two one-hour questions, 'cos that's probably quite a lot of writing. How about something like, do part 1, take a 10-minute break (while thinking about what to write in the first 1-hour question!), then take a 20-minute break (which by that time you'll probably be grateful for) while thinking about the second 1-hour question?
Have you thought about trying a different introductory module? :smile:

That is the plan. It's just finding one I'm interested in. Finance is tempting; as it Law.
Original post by Piko_Piko

You okay? :erm:

Exam stress getting to me. Just watched the cute puppies on TV to get my mind off it!
Reply 6718
Original post by Persipan
My guess would be that you're likely to get tired-er and achier as you go along, so I'd plan to stack the breaks towards the end, since you might need them more then. I'd definitely plan some break time in between the two one-hour questions, 'cos that's probably quite a lot of writing. How about something like, do part 1, take a 10-minute break (while thinking about what to write in the first 1-hour question!), then take a 20-minute break (which by that time you'll probably be grateful for) while thinking about the second 1-hour question?

Whilst this does kinda make most sense, I'm not sure I'll be able to manage an hour, even if I do have a long break before it.

I'm thinking I'll take my first break after 2 short questions and see how it goes from there.
Reply 6719
Hey guys I have a problem.

I was wondering if OU would allow a student to request an alternative tutor? My course started on the 1st October. I won't go into the details about the reasons but any advice would be much appreciated. I will of course contact my regional office first thing in the morning. Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest