The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Open University Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Soft Cat
Hey guys I have a problem.

I was wondering if OU would allow a student to request an alternative tutor? My course started on the 1st October. I won't go into the details about the reasons but any advice would be much appreciated. I will of course contact my regional office first thing in the morning. Thanks.

No idea, sorry.
But give us the details....
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 6721
I can't really it wouldn't be professional. But yeah anyone else got any info?
Hey guys I have a problem.

I was wondering if OU would allow a student to request an alternative tutor? My course started on the 1st October. I won't go into the details about the reasons but any advice would be much appreciated. I will of course contact my regional office first thing in the morning. Thanks.

Yes you can, I was re-allocated to have one closer to me.
Reply 6723
Original post by inksplodge
Yes you can, I was re-allocated to have one closer to me.

Well all the tutorials are online even I'm up north and shes way down south. But that isn't the issue. Im just not feeling a good vibe.
Someone on my first course did change tutors. They had a bit of a falling out during a tutorial.
Reply 6725
So should I just ask the office?
So should I just ask the office?

you need to sk your regionl centre
i can't answer hardly any of the questions on part 1 of the pper. exm is tomorrow. BAD TIMES.
Reply 6728
you need to sk your regionl centre

Done....just waiting for a response now.
Reply 6729
Original post by Juno
I haven't posted here for a while, but I have a weird question.

I have an exam on Thurs. It's a 3 hour exam.

I have arthritis and can't write too good, so I get 30 mins rest break to be used as and when I like. Officially, that' 5 mins rest for 30 mins writing.

My exam has 2 parts: the first has 3 questions of 20 mins, then the second has 2 questions of an hour each.

How do I split my rest breaks?!

I don't really want to stop mid-question as I'll lose my flow, but there's no way I can write for an hour. I spose the logical thing to do is wait and see what feels right, but I'd like to have some idea of what to aim at as otherwise it just becomes a big scary mess. It's one less thing to worry about if I know I'll be fine.

I'm already worrying over what wrist support to take, if I should take a cushion, whether taking painkillers (in those blister back things) is acceptable, should I risk trying to park in town or will I be ok with the walk from the bus stop, if I'll be seated at the back again coz I feel I'm disturbing everyone else less and they disturb me less at the end, and loads of things like that.

Just a thought, maybe so you don't lose your flow as much when taking a break during the big two, you could write some sort of a plan? Don't know how well suited that would be to you, personally it feels like someone is trying to kill me everytime I'm asked to write a plan, I find them so hard! But at least you would have something to look back over again once you're back from your break and maybe remind you what was in your head before you finished.
Reply 6730
After doing all the old M359 exam papers my highest mark is still around 65ish :frown: Although I am trying to mark it a little bit harshly so I don't get too overconfident, lol. I was hoping for a pass 1/distinction until I saw that only 3.1% got that last year! Now I'd be over the moon with a pass 2. Just under 24 hours to go until my exam >.<
Original post by Kate.
After doing all the old M359 exam papers my highest mark is still around 65ish :frown: Although I am trying to mark it a little bit harshly so I don't get too overconfident, lol. I was hoping for a pass 1/distinction until I saw that only 3.1% got that last year! Now I'd be over the moon with a pass 2. Just under 24 hours to go until my exam >.<

Same here Kate, only 10% got a pass 1 in mine and its 25% ish for each of the other grades... I'm aiming for a pass bloody 4. lol :-/
i've resigned myself to a pass 4. if i get anything better, then i'll be over the moon. i KNOW i haven't done enough revision. i know i'm going to struggle with part 1. but i'm going to try my best :smile:
Reply 6733
i've resigned myself to a pass 4. if i get anything better, then i'll be over the moon. i KNOW i haven't done enough revision. i know i'm going to struggle with part 1. but i'm going to try my best :smile:

That's pretty much how I'm feeling
Original post by Juno
That's pretty much how I'm feeling

What time is your exam? Mine's at 10am so I've got an early start to get to Lincoln ... in school/work traffic. :frown:
Reply 6735
What time is your exam? Mine's at 10am so I've got an early start to get to Lincoln ... in school/work traffic. :frown:

10am, but on Thursday
Reply 6736

Original post by Juno
10am, but on Thursday

I was wondering earlier how common morning exams were, as mine have all been afternoons. It makes it so much less stressful getting there. I usually get there an hour or so early and read through some notes while I wait. My exam tomorrow is my third and all have been 2.30-5.30pm.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6737
Original post by Kate.
I was wondering earlier how common morning exams were as mine have all been afternoons. It makes it so much less stressful getting there. I usually get there an hour or so early and read through some notes while I wait. My exam tomorrow is my third and all have been 2.30-5.30pm.

I think mine have been all mornings. Well, I definitely know my last one was. But it would make most sense for them to have an equal split of morning/afternoon - although maybe certain areas are more likely to get a certain session.

But it does seem slightly unfair on the invigilators. I get 30 mins extra, so that means that they get an hour to have lunch and get the room set up for the next exam! And since students will start arriving early, they'll need to supervise that. It just seems really quick.
Original post by Kate.
I was wondering earlier how common morning exams were, as mine have all been afternoons. It makes it so much less stressful getting there. I usually get there an hour or so early and read through some notes while I wait. My exam tomorrow is my third and all have been 2.30-5.30pm.

My first OU exam was an afternoon. I'm gonna have to leave about 8am to get there on time >_<
Reply 6739
I've just looked at the front of the past papers I have, and in 2009 and 2011 they were morning, and 2010 was afternoon.

Quick Reply

Latest