The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Visit website

Open University Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Are you all doing SXR103 the residential course that goes with S104?
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Visit website
Reply 61
lincs_b

I've pre-booked for that one. :smile:
Reply 62
lincs_b

I will be, nothing booked yet though.
½+½
I will be, nothing booked yet though.

Personally, I plan to complete all of the required residential courses towards the end of my degree, as closely together as possible.

You have exquisite taste in music, by the way. (Alice In Chains). :biggrin:
Reply 64
Trimeresurus

You have exquisite taste in music, by the way. (Alice In Chains). :biggrin:

Thanks!
Your statement suggests that you do aswell. :thrasher:
They are immense. I just discovered the brilliance that facelift has to offer, after many years of obsessing over the epic that is dirt.
Reply 65
Maybe you'll both end up in either Edinburgh or Brighton together lol. I was in Durham for SXR207 this year and it was better than I expected it to be. It was really strange being with so many people who were all interested in physics.
Reply 66
To join the OU network on facebook, you need an open uni email address- does anyone know how to get this?

EDIT: Done :biggrin: found the answer on the discussion wall on the OU facebook group :smile:
Reply 67
h82think
To join the OU network on facebook, you need an open uni email address- does anyone know how to get this?

EDIT: Done :biggrin: found the answer on the discussion wall on the OU facebook group :smile:

So far, setting up my facebook uni status is the only thing my OU email has been used for haha.
Reply 68
½+½
So far, setting up my facebook uni status is the only thing my OU email has been used for haha.

Same :smile:

As well as sorting out my facebook network, I also sent off for an NUS card :biggrin: All those lovely discounts :smile:
Reply 69
lincs_b
Maybe you'll both end up in either Edinburgh or Brighton together lol. I was in Durham for SXR207 this year and it was better than I expected it to be. It was really strange being with so many people who were all interested in physics.

Did you expect it was going to be bad then?

According to the SXR103 page on the OU site, in 2010 this course will only run at Brighton. http://www3.open.ac.uk/courses/bin/p12.dll?C01SXR103 Under "Course starting dates". This suits me fine because I live down south anyway but that's going to be awful for people in the far north. :s-smilie:

½+½

h82think

Same :smile:

As well as sorting out my facebook network, I also sent off for an NUS card :biggrin: All those lovely discounts :smile:

I'm almost ashamed to admit that I don't have a facebook account :p: I'm not cool. :sad:

Does anyone know if you can get an NUS card even if studying 10 point courses? I'm doing three in the run up to January but I'd like to get an NUS sorted sooner than that.
Reply 70
Lunarsea

Does anyone know if you can get an NUS card even if studying 10 point courses? I'm doing three in the run up to January but I'd like to get an NUS sorted sooner than that.

I think as long as you have a PI number you can get one. Mine came through yesterday... and bloody debenhams doesn't give student discount! Typical haha.
Reply 71
½+½
I think as long as you have a PI number you can get one. Mine came through yesterday... and bloody debenhams doesn't give student discount! Typical haha.

Is there anything else as a student I should apply for? (you seem more organised than me :p:)
Reply 72
h82think
Is there anything else as a student I should apply for? (you seem more organised than me :p:)

Haha I was a bit too organised with my NUS card and ordered it a bit early... worried I would have to renew it after a month of having it! (due to them lasting Sept - Aug) Luckily I think they just issue the next years one if you order it close before the renewal date... mines 09/10 thankfully!

Um... I'm not sure what else there is to apply for really. I've begun signing up to reward cards which is something I never used to do. Have one for staples, boots, waterstones etc. All comes in handy to get money off, even if only a few pence here and there.

I think so far the most significant thing I have signed up for is TSR! It's what I've used most in a student mentality :yep:
Reply 73
½+½
I think so far the most significant thing I have signed up for is TSR! It's what I've used most in a student mentality :yep:

I must say I do like the orange font in your username :smile:
Reply 74
h82think
I must say I do like the orange font in your username :smile:

Why thankyou. Orange is an underrated colour!

I do have to say though... I like raisin cookies... :zomg: :h:
Reply 75
½+½
Why thankyou. Orange is an underrated colour!

I do have to say though... I like raisin cookies... :zomg: :h:

Wtf?!? Raisins in cookies?!? Do you have a brand that you can recommend to prove how good they are?
Reply 76
h82think
Wtf?!? Raisins in cookies?!? Do you have a brand that you can recommend to prove how good they are?

Nah. I remember having them in those big selection tin things at christmas over the years. You can get oatmeal and raisin cookies at the supermarket probably.

I'm not a fan of raisins in cakes that much. Possibly because anyone who makes a fruit cake seems to think it neccessary to pour a whole bottle or brandy in the mix... it tastes like a mushy, alcoholic fruit salad covered in marzipan. YUMS.
Reply 77
½+½
Nah. I remember having them in those big selection tin things at christmas over the years. You can get oatmeal and raisin cookies at the supermarket probably.

I'm not a fan of raisins in cakes that much. Possibly because anyone who makes a fruit cake seems to think it neccessary to pour a whole bottle or brandy in the mix... it tastes like a mushy, alcoholic fruit salad covered in marzipan. YUMS.

I take it you are not a fan of rum and raisin ice-cream too?
Reply 78
h82think
I take it you are not a fan of rum and raisin ice-cream too?

I haven't tried it :s-smilie: I like cookie dough ice-cream though. I guess if they put raisins in it I would like it too haha :biggrin:

Talking of things that don't belong, do you like pinapple on pizza? It's the wrongest thing ever. :sick:
Reply 79
Pineapple on pizza is amazing!

You can apply for a 3 year NUS card which is a bit cheaper than getting 3 NUS cards for one year (although you do get a 1 year card and just renew it each year for free)

Quick Reply