Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
For those doing 120 credits in one year

Nightworld1066
Original post by iloveteddy14
For those doing 120 credits in one year

Cheaper than brick uni, though.
To those who have done 120 credits in the past, how did you cope with the stress and workload? I done 90 credits later and at times I felt like I could barely cope with that! :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8424
Original post by CFC67
There's been some movement on Student Home and my module websites are now closed, usually a sign that results are imminent! I'm waiting for the final level 3 results for my degree.

Ditto, but how imminent????:tongue:
Reply 8425
Original post by Yasmin25
To those who have done 120 credits in the past, how did you cope with the stress and workload? I done 90 credits later and at times I felt like I could barely cope with that! :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yasmin, I did 120 at level 3. It does seem and feel like a lot. I just 'did it' one step at a time and in the end, it forces you to focus and develop time management skills. You can't do everything extremely well, so you adapt to the time frames you have, if that makes sense?
I do 120 credits a year.
Original post by Mikada
Yasmin, I did 120 at level 3. It does seem and feel like a lot. I just 'did it' one step at a time and in the end, it forces you to focus and develop time management skills. You can't do everything extremely well, so you adapt to the time frames you have, if that makes sense?

Thanks for your reply :smile: good on you for doing 120 credits at once, especially at level 3! Yeah what you said makes perfect sense. What were you studying? I'm studying Bsc (hons) natural science (the biology pathway)
Reply 8428
Thanks for your reply :smile: good on you for doing 120 credits at once, especially at level 3! Yeah what you said makes perfect sense. What were you studying? I'm studying Bsc (hons) natural science (the biology pathway)

Thanks and no problem :smile: I was studying PPE. I really think it is achievable to do 120 credits a year. Because you get to do essays quite frequently, I found there wasn't really the time to be aware that I was doing 120, hah. Something that was very helpful was tutors being flexible with deadlines. Without this I personally would have struggled and found it very hard. Also, I would say in a sense it can even be positive, as for me anyway, perfectionism went out of the window. Not to say that you can't do well, but you won't dedicate time on things that shouldn't be given any. Which is a skill that you are supposed to develop when doing your degree :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
i'm doing 120 level 3 units, finding it really difficult and have had to take a lot of unpaid time off so hasn't really worked out cheaper but given no choice by OU - they sometimes just decide they are going to change degree names and requirements which means you either have to finish quickly or pay to do additional modules. The problem is your grades will probably suffer (versus doing 1 or max 2 courses) and as you know OU grading is a level down compared to brick uni, so quite risky in my opinion. If doing again i'd only consider doing distance learning via a brick uni

I do 120 credits a year... In my final year now studying natural science (biology pathway) so far all distinctions but nervous for level 3

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by winalotuk
i'm doing 120 level 3 units, finding it really difficult and have had to take a lot of unpaid time off so hasn't really worked out cheaper but given no choice by OU - they sometimes just decide they are going to change degree names and requirements which means you either have to finish quickly or pay to do additional modules. The problem is your grades will probably suffer (versus doing 1 or max 2 courses) and as you know OU grading is a level down compared to brick uni, so quite risky in my opinion. If doing again i'd only consider doing distance learning via a brick uni

In that case OU is last decision no matter what just have to hope and pray I don't miss the boat

Nightworld1066
as you know OU grading is a level down compared to brick uni, so quite risky in my opinion.

What do you mean?

Posted from TSR Mobile
85-100% in OU for a distinction vs 70-85 in brick uni
85-100% in OU for a distinction vs 70-85 in brick uni

Yeah, but the marks you'd receive from a brick uni (whether physically attending, or via distance learning) aren't directly comparable with OU marks because of the fact that their grade boundaries are different. A piece of work that gets 85% from the OU wouldn't get 85% from a brick uni, it would get 70%; and so on down the scale. (Source: I have a brick uni degree, have done distance learning from a brick uni, and am studying with the OU - I did/am doing comparably well in terms of the overall classification of my grades at each uni, but the actual grades themselves are substantially different and I've received percentage grades from the OU that would be literally impossible from a brick uni as they would never award marks that high within their grading scheme).

If you're saying, "it is hard to do well if you do 120 credits, especially if you're also working" then I agree with you. But I don't agree that it would be any easier with a brick uni, and in fact, in terms of moving the goalposts, my experience was that the brick uni I previously did distance learning with did this in a much more absolute and problematic way than anything I've come across with the OU. (As in, "we've decided we're not doing distance learning anymore, so you can't finish your qualification here. Goodbye.") For that reason I always recommend the OU over brick unis wherever possible for anyone who wants to do distance learning - it's their core business, so they're unlikely to decide they can't be bothered to offer it anymore and give it up overnight.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Persipan
Yeah, but the marks you'd receive from a brick uni (whether physically attending, or via distance learning) aren't directly comparable with OU marks because of the fact that their grade boundaries are different. A piece of work that gets 85% from the OU wouldn't get 85% from a brick uni, it would get 70%; and so on down the scale. (Source: I have a brick uni degree, have done distance learning from a brick uni, and am studying with the OU - I did/am doing comparably well in terms of the overall classification of my grades at each uni, but the actual grades themselves are substantially different and I've received percentage grades from the OU that would be literally impossible from a brick uni as they would never award marks that high within their grading scheme).

If you're saying, "it is hard to do well if you do 120 credits, especially if you're also working" then I agree with you. But I don't agree that it would be any easier with a brick uni, and in fact, in terms of moving the goalposts, my experience was that the brick uni I previously did distance learning with did this in a much more absolute and problematic way than anything I've come across with the OU. (As in, "we've decided we're not doing distance learning anymore, so you can't finish your qualification here. Goodbye.") For that reason I always recommend the OU over brick unis wherever possible for anyone who wants to do distance learning - it's their core business, so they're unlikely to decide they can't be bothered to offer it anymore and give it up overnight.

Agreed... I have a degree at Oxbridge and my highest mark was in the 70's I got a first. But to get that 79 was ridiculously hard and in the top 1% of people

I regularly get 90's at OU

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you for clarifying. I think I am gonna apply for all distance learning from brick unis second and open Uni is now last option. So long as I don't miss the boat

Nightworld1066
Original post by iloveteddy14
Thank you for clarifying. I think I am gonna apply for all distance learning from brick unis second and open Uni is now last option.

If you are thinking of distance learning from brick unis, I would advise you ask them about their commitment to maintaining distance learning over the duration of your course (I've had a bad experience in the past where a brick uni dropped distance learners like a hot potato when they decided it wasn't worth the trouble, and in the current financial climate for universities there will probably be some institutions that need to make hard decisions sometime in the near future). I'd also ask them about the support provided to distance learners, how many students there are, that sort of thing.
I am still torn over my situation with leaving the OU to attend a brick Uni. I have contacted the local Uni and waiting to hear back. Some here mentioned that I would probably have to start year 2 or even year 1 if I go brick. I really do not care as the pro's seriously outweigh what the OU offers me.
Access to a computer science lab 24/7 and the ability to work hands on with other people and projects within that lab. That is a huge aspect for me.
Plus access to all the amazing hardware in those labs.

If I get offered a place at my local Uni then I will jump at it. Even if it is next semester or so.
Original post by Persipan
A piece of work that gets 85% from the OU wouldn't get 85% from a brick uni, it would get 70%; and so on down the scale..

How can this be the case, in say a maths paper where the answer is either right or wrong?

I'm curious how and when the different marking came to be, I can't see how it benefits students in any way.

Sorry to hear your experience with the brick uni pulling distance learning that's awful.

Quick Reply

Latest