The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Visit website

Open University Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rosey203
If I studied 90 credits lv1 this year could I study the last 30 credits plus 60 at lv2 next year or would they not let me under these silly new study rules? Anyone know?

Depends on what you want to do...It is certainly possible with some modules.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Visit website
Original post by BestProfileName
Depends on what you want to do...It is certainly possible with some modules.

I've checked the "entry" for the level 2 modules I'd want to do, and it's stuff I would cover in the level 1 modules I'll have already done. But the OU are really pushing people under the new qualifications to finish level 1 before moving on to level 2. Which would make studying 90 credits this year pointless really.
Original post by Rosey203
I've checked the "entry" for the level 2 modules I'd want to do, and it's stuff I would cover in the level 1 modules I'll have already done. But the OU are really pushing people under the new qualifications to finish level 1 before moving on to level 2. Which would make studying 90 credits this year pointless really.

I study 120 credits a year (I also work full time) you can do 90 credits this year then next year you can do 30x L1 and 60x L2... Or a combination

The OU try and make you do what they say... But that can't enforce it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Gaah my materials despatch date has been pushed back a week as well, anyone know why this is?
Original post by Leanney
Gaah my materials despatch date has been pushed back a week as well, anyone know why this is?

If they're still using Yodel then you'll be lucky to get it this year. :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Leanney

It seems to have happened on a lot of modules.
Original post by Leanney

Mine have too 😭

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Leanney

Just overestimation of time.. Happens every year

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lambert87
Just overestimation of time.. Happens every year

Posted from TSR Mobile

So do they come earlier than that? X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ps for the first year starters I just wanna say!!!!

WE START UNI NEXT MONTH!!!!! :tongue: Eeeek!!!
The stuff normally does arrive earlier than they say it will, but they don't normally randomly push all the dates back so who knows? Personally I suspect it's a cunning plot to get us ask using the online stuff in the hope that we'll all magically decide books are silly and why did we ever want them in the first place?
Original post by addylad

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yodel amazed me this time round. Dispatched to arrive 30th August arrived 28th August.

When looking at the dispatch date it said 'dispatched in July'!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by addylad

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've always found yodel quite good, usually deliver earlier than expected, could just be the region though.
I thought I'd pop in and say hi, starting my Business course in a month :eek: Can't wait although gutted I can't transfer to any brick uni after first year :frown: (I want to correct my failure from 2 years ago which led to my dropping out).

As far as the Yodel discussion goes, I hate them. I'm away at the moment and there's no contact number (most likely is at home but I'm not there) to phone and ask for me to collect from the depot which is a huge pain in my arse :colonhash:

Wish OU would use DHL or Fedex :h:
Original post by tehFrance
Can't wait although gutted I can't transfer to any brick uni after first year :frown: (I want to correct my failure from 2 years ago which led to my dropping out).

You can. Obviously not all universities will accept OU transfers but certainly some do. Aberdeen and RHUL both offered me the chance to transfer direct into the second year. You will just have to do your research to find the ones that do.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Samual
You can. Obviously not all universities will accept OU transfers but certainly some do. Aberdeen and RHUL both offered me the chance to transfer direct into the second year. You will just have to do your research to find the ones that do.

Hmmm I guess it's just Bath and Bristol that are a no and that's where I'm relocating to next year so it's either Bristol (#2 choice), Bath (#1 choice), Bath Spa (rather not) or UWE (a possibility) if I were to transfer from OU to any brick universities. Unfortunate that my top choices won't allow it unless I go in for first year (which I could have done this year if I wasn't stuck in London) so I may end up staying with OU which isn't a bad thing, I'd just prefer a brick uni.
Hmmm I guess it's just Bath and Bristol that are a no and that's where I'm relocating to next year so it's either Bristol (#2 choice), Bath (#1 choice), Bath Spa (rather not) or UWE (a possibility) if I were to transfer from OU to any brick universities. Unfortunate that my top choices won't allow it unless I go in for first year (which I could have done this year if I wasn't stuck in London) so I may end up staying with OU which isn't a bad thing, I'd just prefer a brick uni.

Guess it depends if they deem the OU first year to have covered enough of what their first year syllabuses cover in preparation for second year. I think also the trouble can lie with the fact that OU level 1 usually starts off at a more basic level (for people with no previous experience or qualifications etc..) so can be a bit slow at times getting into a subject fully. Mind you I'm not dissing the OU in that respect (it's encouraging people from all backgrounds to have a go) but every uni has it's own way of doing things. So I guess it's just a case of asking about.

Bath and Bristol are pretty high up in the league tables that's probably why!! Your moving to bristol? Awesome whereabouts? (That's where I live)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lambert87
Bath and Bristol are pretty high up in the league tables that's probably why!! Your moving to bristol? Awesome whereabouts? (That's where I live)

Yeah which is why I wanted to transfer there :colone: I want to be Harbourside and central, not found a place yet (too soon) but will start looking in Jan properly, I just prefer Bristol over London as it's still got the great nightlife, is closer to the countryside and most of my friends are there which is a major plus also my SO has a job offer which means I'll be relocating whether I like it or not but I rather like it :h:
Yeah which is why I wanted to transfer there :colone: I want to be Harbourside and central, not found a place yet (too soon) but will start looking in Jan properly, I just prefer Bristol over London as it's still got the great nightlife, is closer to the countryside and most of my friends are there which is a major plus also my SO has a job offer which means I'll be relocating whether I like it or not but I rather like it :h:

I can only speak for Maths and Physics, but you can do Level 2 modules through the OU without having done level 1 modules. The only reason why you have to do the level 1 modules is because it's for a full degree. But if, instead, you choose not to register for a degree through the OU, and just study the level 2 modules, I am assuming that a University will look more favourably upon a student who has studied material above year 1 standard.

Quick Reply

Latest