The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Open University Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 9060
Hi everyone just a quick question about exams, will our tutors be there? I read somewhere that they won't be
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Original post by Sabr
Hi everyone just a quick question about exams, will our tutors be there? I read somewhere that they won't be

Unless they are earning a bit of extra cash as an invigilator then no. There is no requirement for them to be there.
Feel like I should say hello. I'm currently working on 4 modules for a Bsc maths degree. Also looking after my 4 month old!

I want to be a maths teacher, how accepted is an OU degree for a PGCE??
Original post by Lambert87
Is it difficult? The module chair said the new S317 is more focused on biology rather than chemistry (so no kinetics or thermodynamics) which as I've done chemistry I don't mind but glad it's not heavily focused on it!! How are you finding it?

You make you're own title you have very little guidance; so for example I picked a topic out of "emerging diseases" and that's it for help!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Personally I'm finding it hard but I think that's because I've been out of the swing of it for so long. I'm used to maths and computing these days so biological processes is a different way of thinking. Book 1 has a bit of basic chemistry in and chapter 4 (which I should be reading this week!) is thermodynamics and think the other 3 books are really biology based.
Reply 9064
Original post by LeaLea.B
Thanks... I was just worried about funding

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey there, an apprenticeship doesn't interfere with OU. BUT as the other person said do not tell your apprenticeship provider about it, because they might drop you, precisely because of funding issues.

I made the mistake of telling one provider about going to uni and they turned me down. Because even if you don't have a degree, going to uni makes you ineligible for an apprenticeship.

Next time around I said nothing about it to the provider, and they signed me up, got the funding going without any problems. If you don't tell them they have no way of knowing that you're going to uni. I've been doing that for a year, haha. :colondollar:
Original post by Aoede
Hey there, an apprenticeship doesn't interfere with OU. BUT as the other person said do not tell your apprenticeship provider about it, because they might drop you, precisely because of funding issues.

I made the mistake of telling one provider about going to uni and they turned me down. Because even if you don't have a degree, going to uni makes you ineligible for an apprenticeship.

Next time around I said nothing about it to the provider, and they signed me up, got the funding going without any problems. If you don't tell them they have no way of knowing that you're going to uni. I've been doing that for a year, haha. :colondollar:

Surely people do get caught. Things are rarely secret and is it written somewhere that funding only applies to people not doing other forms of Higher Education (OU, college, etc..) then wouldn't it be fraud?
Reply 9066
Original post by laalNick
Surely people do get caught. Things are rarely secret and is it written somewhere that funding only applies to people not doing other forms of Higher Education (OU, college, etc..) then wouldn't it be fraud?

Well, it's not incredibly honest. D:
But I couldn't get any other job after leaving uni so I had to do an apprenticeship, and then signed up for OU towards the end of it.

They might have a way of finding out if they specifically set out to look for it, maybe? My funding went through without any issue so I assume their usual process doesn't pick up if you have been to university previously.
Hi guys, looking for some advice.

I am thinking about doing Open degree but not sure how does this work - I have already Cert of HE in Business and management from OU - I had a year break to decide what I want to do.

Could I just transfer credits to open degree and do level two business and something else with it? or do I have to do some other topic level 1 as well?
Reply 9068
Original post by katrina89
Hi guys, looking for some advice.

I am thinking about doing Open degree but not sure how does this work - I have already Cert of HE in Business and management from OU - I had a year break to decide what I want to do.

Could I just transfer credits to open degree and do level two business and something else with it? or do I have to do some other topic level 1 as well?

I don't think you need to do level 1 modules. When you get your credits transferred you then pick the next level's courses.

(for example I transferred credits from 2 years, and had to pick level 3 modules)
Thanks, will have to call and ask to confirm but for now I am just thinking if its even possible.
Reply 9070
I'm sure it is :smile: I transferred from a named degree to open - open is basically pick and mix so any degree's credits count.
OU are truly dire. They changed my degree mid-way through so I would have to pay to do repeated courses with slightly different names or do 3 level 3 courses in 1 year. I tried and would have passed but my teacher had a heart attack and wasn't involved in marking my project so was offered a bad degree grade refused it and have tried to complain but typical OU go into hiding and refuse to deal with complaints. Worst waste of money and time of my life. Wish I had never believed their marketing.
Original post by letsdothetimewarpagain
Feel like I should say hello. I'm currently working on 4 modules for a Bsc maths degree. Also looking after my 4 month old!

I want to be a maths teacher, how accepted is an OU degree for a PGCE??

I don't believe it's too difficult but you must make sure your degree comes out with a strong classification and check with the PGCE provider you maybe going to.
Also you need the strong classification i.e 2:1 or first for a better bursary.

Hope that helps :smile:
Is anyone else starting BA Hons English Literature and Language in October??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sputum
Complex analysis and I've just deferred it for my first OU-free spring since 2007. I could do with a break right now and it doesn't cost anything as far as I can tell. I'm already looking forward to restarting it almost as much as not stressing about it for a while.

I need to pass for a 2:1 and get a 1 for a first. Last year I was three marks from an almost-guaranteed first and two marks from having no chance of one so on balance I'm happy to still be in with a shot. It helps that we always get told what to do:smile:

I don't know what I'll do with my free time!

Had my first T450 TMA result back. After being so used to getting TMA results >85% as standard (since I think it's much easier to do with with mathsy type modules) I was a bit gutted, and a little bit surprised to get 76% which I know is good but has opened my eyes to the fact that I'm gonna have to work hard to stay in the 2:1 range...

Like you I'm just trying to keep as far ahead of the game as possible I think. It's either do or die! o.O GOOD LUCK!
I could have carried scores of 86 and 76 but have opted to chalk them off. It's not just possible to get high marks, with enough time and work you can pretty much guarantee 85+. I couldn't do it at the pace you study.

If you need 2 2:1s for a first does that mean you have 2 L3 distinctions already?
Is there anyone else studying A333 this year? Just wondering what other people think.

Also, has anyone studied DD209? I've never studied Economics before and am a bit worried that it will require good mathematical skills.
Reply 9077
Hi guys, can anyone tell me the TMA and EMA mark split for SXL390? I'm averaging 76% for my 3 TMAs. I had a Disc. postponement and just submitted my EMA. Does anyone know what I need to get on my EMA a Grade 2 pass?
Thanks
Does anyone have the option to select ousba when registering a new module? I don't and was wondering if it was just me. I have been declined for the past 2 years :frown: and don't know how I will fund it if I don't get it or financial support (1 year of it left and think they will only offer it me on my final year but have 2 years left). First option is financial support just waiting on my P60 then will send everything off. Then it's OUSBA if needed. I will no longer have a DRO come August so will apply after then.

So I need to find a way to get £1350 between June & September!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by 887
Hi guys, can anyone tell me the TMA and EMA mark split for SXL390? I'm averaging 76% for my 3 TMAs. I had a Disc. postponement and just submitted my EMA. Does anyone know what I need to get on my EMA a Grade 2 pass?
Thanks

Such a weird module for working out assessment.. Based on that you would need around 70 - 76% to guarantee a class 2

You could get roughly 68 and still get one though!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest