The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Open University Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

I have a few questions about ou study if anyone is able to help? Ive emailed the ou themselves but still waiting on a reply .

Do you sign up to a specific course or specific modules? I'm interested in the forensic psychology honours course, but I'd like to just take the level 1 psychology module to start off with and see how it goes.

How long do 60 credit modules typically last? I'm looking to start one in Feb so just wondering roughly when it would finish. I also work full time.

How does the credit transfer system actually work? I already have a first class honours in English lit and religious studies, but I'm guessing because they don't directly relate to psychology I couldn't transfer credits? I've been told the level 1 courses are pretty easy, so would like to bypass them if possible.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer in advance! :smile:
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Original post by Lambert87
Hey,

Yeah that happens a lot unfortunately... I seriously do not understand why they do it...

How are you finding your modules?

Nor do I. I've been told to ask any pressing questions in the TGF so that questions can be addressed in the tutorial (which I can't attend!). That's fine, some tutors aren't exactly active on the forums, or very prompt at answering emails. One tutor went MIA the other week and nobody (including the module team) had any idea where she was. You do expect to be able to actually talk to your tutor, at a 'normal' uni I might not because they have other lectures, students, their own research etc. But at the OU with no contact hours for most modules and clashing tutorials one would expect that tutors would at least do you the service to answer emails in a timely manner! Anyway, rant over!

The modules are fine. I'm a tad behind the material at the moment whilst I prepare the 3 TMA's which need to be handed in the next 10 days. But most of it is still a recap from A-level and other studying I've done, so for now I'm not needing to spend a huge amount of time on it.
I both love and hate how long it can take to get your TMA results back.
You can request to go to another tutor's tutorials if they are at a better time/location.
Original post by laalNick
You can request to go to another tutor's tutorials if they are at a better time/location.

No face to face tutorials sadly.
Original post by SuperCat007
No face to face tutorials sadly.

Same applies for online tutorials. I've done it before. :smile:
Same applies for online tutorials. I've done it before. :smile:

They're module-wide ones, so there's only one for the whole lot of us! It's very annoying.
They're module-wide ones, so there's only one for the whole lot of us! It's very annoying.

Arrr my modules have been TG tutorials and last module also had module wide ones on top (but they were more of regurgitating the simple parts of the texts....)
Arrr my modules have been TG tutorials and last module also had module wide ones on top (but they were more of regurgitating the simple parts of the texts....)

Yeah, it's a pain. All of mine have tutor group tutorials which seem to be very much based on regurgitation of course materials, sadly the module wide ones have been more useful lecture-style ones where example essays and key concepts are explained in much more detail by the person who wrote the chapter.

It's very annoying.
Reply 9389
Does anybody know if there's any guidance about module group work anywhere? Do I have a right to request a change of group or anything like that? My group are all leaving things until last minute, which is going to lose us marks. The group work is only a minor part of this TMA but it's a major part of the next one and I really need a distinction in this module :frown:
Original post by 1203
Does anybody know if there's any guidance about module group work anywhere? Do I have a right to request a change of group or anything like that? My group are all leaving things until last minute, which is going to lose us marks. The group work is only a minor part of this TMA but it's a major part of the next one and I really need a distinction in this module :frown:

I've never done a module with the group work aspect. But I would say the first port of calls would be tutor and best bet would be your SST.

Haven't found anything directly relevant in the OU documents on group work as of yet but SST should know the deal. Not sure how a change of group would work as another group you could move to might have already organised themselves but it could be doable.
Group work seems a bit iffy IMHO with the OU as everyone can devote different times/days to OU study d have vastly different commitments so organising it between yourselves could prove difficult (And I'm a last minute Betty when it comes to work as more pressure to do it them so more focused hahaha!).

Call up your SST and ask their advice.
Reply 9391
I've never done a module with the group work aspect. But I would say the first port of calls would be tutor and best bet would be your SST.

Haven't found anything directly relevant in the OU documents on group work as of yet but SST should know the deal. Not sure how a change of group would work as another group you could move to might have already organised themselves but it could be doable.
Group work seems a bit iffy IMHO with the OU as everyone can devote different times/days to OU study d have vastly different commitments so organising it between yourselves could prove difficult (And I'm a last minute Betty when it comes to work as more pressure to do it them so more focused hahaha!).

Call up your SST and ask their advice.

Thanks. I'm far from the model student, often guilty of leaving things until last minute, haha. It's frustrating because the marks are for having a discussion and I can't make them reply to me. They might've all decided that they're going to skip it and sacrifice the marks for all I know. Maybe they'll be more communicative when group work is a bigger percentage of the TMA marks.

I'll drop my tutor an email and try SST if she's not helpful. Thanks again :smile:
Original post by 1203
Thanks. I'm far from the model student, often guilty of leaving things until last minute, haha. It's frustrating because the marks are for having a discussion and I can't make them reply to me. They might've all decided that they're going to skip it and sacrifice the marks for all I know. Maybe they'll be more communicative when group work is a bigger percentage of the TMA marks.

I'll drop my tutor an email and try SST if she's not helpful. Thanks again :smile:

No worries. I've been around the OU block but this group work is more of a new thing and more arts (possibly the new sciences) than the maths & computing I've done previously.

There are some student consultations going on at the moment and collaborative work has come up many times if you want to voice your opinion and experiences of it.
Original post by 1203

I'm having a similar thing. All the discussion posts popped up on my tutor group forum at around 10 pm and later on the night of the deadline, many more seemed to get extensions and posted after this. 3 posts popped up today, a week after the deadline! It's very annoying, but I figure as long as you offer discussion yourself, even if it's with yourself you can't be penalised for the rest of the group not joining in.
Reply 9394
I'm having a similar thing. All the discussion posts popped up on my tutor group forum at around 10 pm and later on the night of the deadline, many more seemed to get extensions and posted after this. 3 posts popped up today, a week after the deadline! It's very annoying, but I figure as long as you offer discussion yourself, even if it's with yourself you can't be penalised for the rest of the group not joining in.

Surely 10pm the night before doesn't get them marks?! How can you be participating in a discussion if you don't give anybody time to read or reply to your post? I know group work is a pain in the ass (and sometimes, some major life event gets in the way of studying) but it's not like there's no warning that it needs to be done.

My problem really is that we're meant to be producing something as a group based on the discussion so I need to know how long I'm meant to wait for before deciding nobody else wants to contribute and writing the whole thing myself. I'll rage if people start contributing 10pm the night before! :biggrin:
I'm terrified, I am on S315 and I got a weak result for the first TMA, I really want a 2:1 and already working my socks off, but is there anything people can say for my maths? As a chemistry student, this is my major archilles heal.
Original post by NeuroJanine
I'm terrified, I am on S315 and I got a weak result for the first TMA, I really want a 2:1 and already working my socks off, but is there anything people can say for my maths? As a chemistry student, this is my major archilles heal.

I haven't done S315 but did all the previous courses which make up S315... Are you struggling with physical chemistry (kinetics, thermodynamics etc)?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi everyone! I'm considering studying with the Open University. Does anyone have any advice? I've heard that it's a lot harder that normal university because it's harder to learn without the school environment. Any help or anything would be amazing, thank you!
Oh and also i live in Austria right now (I'm english). Is it still possible to study there?
(edited 8 years ago)
Hey everyone,

I'm looking to start Open University next year. As I already have some of a degree from another Uni I have to credit transfer and have been told that I can't start the course until October next year (gutted as I was hoping to start in February) does anybody know when I can start the credit transfer process? :smile:

And does anyone have any words of wisdom for the History course?
Original post by IndiaCaitlinn
Hey everyone,

I'm looking to start Open University next year. As I already have some of a degree from another Uni I have to credit transfer and have been told that I can't start the course until October next year (gutted as I was hoping to start in February) does anybody know when I can start the credit transfer process? :smile:

And does anyone have any words of wisdom for the History course?

An October start is better anyway, if you look at the start date for your level 2 and 3 modules they'll all be October starts so your degree will run much more smoothly if you can start it all in the same month.

Quick Reply

Latest