The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Open University Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
½+½
Talking of things that don't belong, do you like pinapple on pizza? It's the wrongest thing ever. :sick:

I'm not a fan of pizza at all :frown: (due to my intolerance to dairy) But when I did, I did not like Pineapple on it.

And your opinion of marshmallows on sweet potato?
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
h82think

:lolwut: That is quite possibly the strangest gastronomic combination I've ever heard of.
Reply 82
Trimeresurus
:lolwut: That is quite possibly the strangest gastronomic combination I've ever heard of.

Only in America :p:
Reply 83
h82think
I'm not a fan of pizza at all :frown: (due to my intolerance to dairy) But when I did, I did not like Pineapple on it.

That sounds like a pregnancy type of food.

I do not like sweet potato. I remember I bought some sweet potato waffles once... I had to give them away...

I love pizza though, it is my downfall.

What about... cottage cheese with beetroot, pineapple and marmite on toast? My mum likes it... it is an abomination of food. She also likes shellfish which is just revolting.

I'm not actually a fussy eater but the things I don't like... I don't like them at all!
Reply 84
½+½
I'm not actually a fussy eater but the things I don't like... I don't like them at all!

Same :smile:

Enough about food :p: How is everyone preparing before their courses begin?
Reply 85
h82think
Same :smile:

Enough about food :p: How is everyone preparing before their courses begin?

Well my science stuff came yesterday.

I still have a TMA and the ECA for my finance course left to do. I need to crack on quickly now so that I can move on to S104. :woo:

How aboot everyone else?
Reply 86
½+½
How aboot everyone else?

I've almost finished reading one of the set books for AA100 (Arts past and present). I am so happy the whole finance situation has been sorted :smile:

What is TMA and the ECA?

I can't wait for my courses to begin :biggrin:
Reply 87
h82think

What is TMA and the ECA?

TMA = tutor marked assignment
ECA = end of course assessment

Some courses also have iCMAs which are computer marked assessments... like quizzes.

Both the courses I began on had 3 TMAs each and then the ECA.

S104 has 7 TMAs, 9 iCMAs and the ECA! Though the TMAs arn't as heavily weighted with marks as the ones I have already done... so in theory they wont take as much time.

We will see!
Reply 88
½+½
TMA = tutor marked assignment
ECA = end of course assessment

Some courses also have iCMAs which are computer marked assessments... like quizzes.

Both the courses I began on had 3 TMAs each and then the ECA.

S104 has 7 TMAs, 9 iCMAs and the ECA! Though the TMAs arn't as heavily weighted with marks as the ones I have already done... so in theory they wont take as much time.

We will see!

Am I right in thinking this will be your second year?
Reply 89
h82think
Am I right in thinking this will be your second year?

Nah I only started in May. This will be my second start date, but not year.

I started two 30pt courses back in May. I dropped one last month because it just wasn't relevant to what I'm aiming for and it was taking a lot more commitment than the other, more relevant 30pt course. A lot of people on the OU forum were saying they would drop it if it wasn't neccessary for their degrees... luckily it wasn't for mine.

So I have experienced a 60pt workload but I feel that the science one will be easier in the sense that it's all the same topic... not two completely different topics to juggle.
Reply 90
½+½
Nah I only started in May. This will be my second start date, but not year.

I started two 30pt courses back in May. I dropped one last month because it just wasn't relevant to what I'm aiming for and it was taking a lot more commitment than the other, more relevant 30pt course. A lot of people on the OU forum were saying they would drop it if it wasn't neccessary for their degrees... luckily it wasn't for mine.

So I have experienced a 60pt workload but I feel that the science one will be easier in the sense that it's all the same topic... not two completely different topics to juggle.

What qualification do you want at the end?

Also, can OU students have student accounts at banks?
Reply 91
h82think
What qualification do you want at the end?

Also, can OU students have student accounts at banks?

I want whatever will get me into med school... at the moment it looks like a chemistry degree will be the likely option... I am hoping that I will get accepted with a partial degree though... just like somebody would transfer from one uni to another part way through. I don't really want to do a complete chem degree as I don't want to be a chemist. If I can't get into med school via the OU I want to try and get into neuroscience at another uni and attempt to get in to medicine from that route. I basically just want to learn about the brain and nervous system. It's tres interesting! And obviously help people with it, hense the medicine. :awesome:

As for the student accounts, I bank with LLoyds and I have lifted from their website -

"To apply for the Student Account you must:

* have been a permanent UK resident for the last 3 years†,
* be 17 years or older,
* not have a Student Account elsewhere,
* be studying on a full-time course of at least two years, or a one year access course leading onto a full-time degree."

Other banks might be different though. :wink:
Reply 92
½+½
I want whatever will get me into med school... at the moment it looks like a chemistry degree will be the likely option... I am hoping that I will get accepted with a partial degree though... just like somebody would transfer from one uni to another part way through. I don't really want to do a complete chem degree as I don't want to be a chemist. If I can't get into med school via the OU I want to try and get into neuroscience at another uni and attempt to get in to medicine from that route. I basically just want to learn about the brain and nervous system. It's tres interesting! And obviously help people with it, hense the medicine. :awesome:

How is it possible to move from OU to another university?
Reply 93
h82think
How is it possible to move from OU to another university?

Well when I spoke to the OU about finding out what equivalence OU study would have with A levels (like what amount of study with them would equate to the same) they pointed out that OU study is above the level of A level and the course I am about to start is considered year one of uni. I asked because the trad route into uni is A levels...

So... as I am already studying at a university level, when I apply to a brick uni it may be seen as a transfer from one establishment to another.

It is a bit confusing which is why I am hoping to find out more concrete info from Bristol Uni at the open day but for now the above is what I'm assuming on.
Reply 94
½+½
Well when I spoke to the OU about finding out what equivalence OU study would have with A levels (like what amount of study with them would equate to the same) they pointed out that OU study is above the level of A level and the course I am about to start is considered year one of uni. I asked because the trad route into uni is A levels...

So... as I am already studying at a university level, when I apply to a brick uni it may be seen as a transfer from one establishment to another.

It is a bit confusing which is why I am hoping to find out more concrete info from Bristol Uni at the open day but for now the above is what I'm assuming on.

:biggrin: That is awesome! I may consider doing my second year in a brick uni now.
Reply 95
h82think
:biggrin: That is awesome! I may consider doing my second year in a brick uni now.

It does depend on the uni though. If you have one in mind, contact them and see what their policy on the OU is.

Bristol said they are reviewing their policy on OU credits and look at each applicant on an individual basis, but I basically figure that I just keep applying throughout the various stages of my degree until they accept me. If they don't within a few years I may try a different uni for a medical/neuroscience course and try it from that angle.

Like I said, confusementing times at the moment but I should know more after the open day. I will keep you posted :wink:
Reply 96
h82think

Also take into consideration the debt side of it.

I feel confident about taking on a lot of debt because of the likely hood that if I get into med school, I will likely pass (hopefully) and then will be able to earn doctor money to pay off my mountainous debt. This is assuming I can ever get into it.

If I could I would so study med on the OU but obviously you can't do that.

So yeah, if I was aiming for a different career and I could do it on the OU I would... debt is poo.
Reply 97
½+½
Also take into consideration the debt side of it.

I feel confident about taking on a lot of debt because of the likely hood that if I get into med school, I will likely pass (hopefully) and then will be able to earn doctor money to pay off my mountainous debt. This is assuming I can ever get into it.

If I could I would so study med on the OU but obviously you can't do that.

So yeah, if I was aiming for a different career and I could do it on the OU I would... debt is poo.

It is tempting sticking with the OU due to the fact it is free :biggrin: yet I feel I might be missing out on the social side if I don't go to a brick uni :frown: although last year I wasn't studying anywhere and still went to some university societies :p:

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081116045051AAzZKGT
Reply 98
h82think
It is tempting sticking with the OU due to the fact it is free :biggrin: yet I feel I might be missing out on the social side if I don't go to a brick uni :frown: although last year I wasn't studying anywhere and still went to some university societies :p:

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081116045051AAzZKGT

Thanks for posting that.

I'm quite excited about the prospect of meeting people at uni... even just at the open day... but recent events have taught me that I need to prioritise my study. I'm not that socially active beyond work and a few close friends and family anyway (I'm lazy!) so yeah, being a studying hermit makes no difference to me really. :macarena:

People will still be there to meet after I am full of qualifications!
Reply 99
½+½
Thanks for posting that.

I'm quite excited about the prospect of meeting people at uni... even just at the open day... but recent events have taught me that I need to prioritise my study. I'm not that socially active beyond work and a few close friends and family anyway (I'm lazy!) so yeah, being a studying hermit makes no difference to me really. :macarena:

People will still be there to meet after I am full of qualifications!

I'm lazy too :p:

I think it is a shame the OU doesn't have a way of having societies- they could meet at the OU centres (eg. in Camden) every so often, and chat via the OU forum.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending