The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Visit website

Open University Chat Thread

I notice many of the other university forums have one, so I thought why shouldn't we?

Scroll to see replies

Tends to be a bit quieter in here than the other forums, but sure, why not. Let's chat!
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Visit website
Reply 2
SunburnedCactus
Tends to be a bit quieter in here than the other forums, but sure, why not. Let's chat!

It is indeed much quieter, but we OU students still deserve a chat thread! :smile:
Reply 3
What are all you guys studying at the OU? I'm hoping to start a degree in business studies in Sep/Oct depending on what module I start with :smile:
I'm around about halfway through my BSc (Hons) Computing. Planned to finish next year but the final project was too much to do alongside 3 level 3 courses so I've split it across the two years instead. Roll on 2011.
Reply 5
I'm studying DD100 (Understanding Social Change). I've also done quite a few short level 1 courses. I want to get all the level 1 courses out of the way before moving on.

I plan to do the Social Sciences with Sociology degree, but I may change my mind. :smile:
Hi! I'm doing Computing stuff. :woo:
Reply 7
Are you all finding the courses interesting? :smile: Are there big differences between the levels of modules? I'm not sure what to expect! :o:
Hi.

I'm doing some level 1 maths courses at the moment (MU120 then MST121) but I'm planning to go on to the BSc in life sciences or natural sciences.
Reply 9
raspberryswirl
Hi! I'm doing Computing stuff. :woo:

How are things going?

lozzabel493
Are you all finding the courses interesting? :smile: Are there big differences between the levels of modules? I'm not sure what to expect! :o:

Yes, I'm finding it extremely interesting. :smile:

I can't advise on the levels because I've only done level 1 courses.
Level 1 is fairly straightforward, tends to incorporate elements of learning to study in general. Level 2 is much more in depth, requires a fair amount more work unless you're already quite familiar with it. Level 3 so far has been pretty hardcore, definitely some of the hardest stuff I've had to do in terms of uni work.
Gaishan

Yes, I'm finding it extremely interesting. :smile:

I can't advise on the levels because I've only done level 1 courses.

Gaishan
I'm studying DD100 (Understanding Social Change). I've also done quite a few short level 1 courses. I want to get all the level 1 courses out of the way before moving on.

I plan to do the Social Sciences with Sociology degree, but I may change my mind. :smile:

I bet those courses are really enjoyable! I really liked Sociology at school :biggrin: It's good to do the level 1 courses though so you can change your mind if you decide to

glad your finding it interesting :smile:

SunburnedCactus

Level 1 is fairly straightforward, tends to incorporate elements of learning to study in general. Level 2 is much more in depth, requires a fair amount more work unless you're already quite familiar with it. Level 3 so far has been pretty hardcore, definitely some of the hardest stuff I've had to do in terms of uni work.

Thank you for telling me the differences between levels :smile:

psyc_postgrad

I'm doing some level 1 maths courses at the moment (MU120 then MST121) but I'm planning to go on to the BSc in life sciences or natural sciences.

Cool when did you start them? How you getting on? :smile:
lozzabel493
Cool when did you start them? How you getting on? :smile:

I started MU120 last September/October, finished in June and I'm currently waiting for my marks for the last two pieces of work. It was quite hard work, with lots of material to cover. However, so far my marks for the assignments are all pretty high.

I'm probably going to start MST121 this autumn, though I might wait for the January 2010 start. I'm expecting it to be quite a lot more difficult! Together, the two courses will give me the 'Certificate in Mathematics' and will also count as the 'free choice' points for the degree I'm planning to do.
psyc_postgrad
I started MU120 last September/October, finished in June and I'm currently waiting for my marks for the last two pieces of work. It was quite hard work, with lots of material to cover. However, so far my marks for the assignments are all pretty high.

I'm probably going to start MST121 this autumn, though I might wait for the January 2010 start. I'm expecting it to be quite a lot more difficult! Together, the two courses will give me the 'Certificate in Mathematics' and will also count as the 'free choice' points for the degree I'm planning to do.

Wow thats really cool, well done! :biggrin: I bet the first one was hard (I don't have a maths brain lol). I think whichever degree you choose either the BSc in life sciences or natural sciences will be really interesting :smile:

I phoned the OU this morning and have reserved my place doe 'DD101 - Introducing the social sciences' which bizarrely counts towards business, but think it will be interesting, starts in Oct :smile:
Reply 14
Hi

Are the marks for the exams a percentage?
Reply 15
Johntheman
Hi

Are the marks for the exams a percentage?

They are in my experience. What course are you doing?
Reply 16
Gaishan
They are in my experience. What course are you doing?

At present DD100
Reply 17
Johntheman
At present DD100

I recommend emailing your tutor and asking him/her.
Reply 18
Gaishan
I recommend emailing your tutor and asking him/her.

Very helpful
Reply 19
Johntheman
Very helpful

Sorry, but they'd be able to give you a definite answer, and it would take about the same time as asking here, anyway. So if you follow the advice, it is indeed very helpful. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest