The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I said something similar. It's ok as long as you emphasize how interested you were before, but weren't prepared for just how much it inspired you.
Don't word it quite like that. Go more for:

"My medical work experience exceeded my already high expectations and served to confirm beyond doubt that I am passionate about medicine and that it is the perfect career for me."
Reply 3
I think that's fine, as long as you mention that you've always had an interest in the subject. Also mention that you've realised the more realistic and less idealistic aspects of medicine.
1001 Chiko
I am passionate about medicine and that it is the perfect career for me."

I hate to burst your bubble but there's no such thing as a "perfect career". Medicine, like many other things, is just a job which has it's good bits and not so good bits.

AndyP123
I think that's fine, as long as you mention that you've always had an interest in the subject

I really doubt any applicant has always had an interest in medicine. Can a 16 year old teenager have a realistic appreciation of what a career in medicine entails before even scraping the surface with w/e?

Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.
strengthen my love for medicine

:puke:
crazyferret

I'm not putting that phrase in my personal statement. I merely said it because I was trying to explain to you guys.
Reply 6
1001 Chiko

"My medical work experience exceeded my already high expectations and served to confirm beyond doubt that I am passionate about medicine and that it is the perfect career for me."

This man knows what he's talking 'bout!
crazyferret
I hate to burst your bubble but there's no such thing as a "perfect career". Medicine, like many other things, is just a job which has it's good bits and not so good bits.

Oh I know this, but that's the type of stuff they want to hear. They don't want disillusionment to have set in before you even get there! Obviously they want you to say the stuff about being able to handle the long hours and academic challenge etc but it's good to say you tick all the boxes and that you're passionate. After all, if you're cynical before you even get there then uni will likely break you and you'll either drop out or hate it by the time you graduate.
Reply 8
From a young age, medicine has been my passion. Ever since I received a medical playset at the age of 5, I have been fascinated by medicine, and my work experience has created further passion and fascination for the subject. I also have a Duke of Edinburgh award. :awesome:
1001 Chiko
Oh I know this, but that's the type of stuff they want to hear. They don't want disillusionment to have set in before you even get there! Obviously they want you to say the stuff about being able to handle the long hours and academic challenge etc but it's good to say you tick all the boxes and that you're passionate. After all, if you're cynical before you even get there then uni will likely break you and you'll either drop out or hate it by the time you graduate.

You'd be surprised with what they "want to hear". Whilst I fully agree with you that you don't want to (even if you are) come off too cynical in an interview...there's a fine line between disillusionment and realism.

In my own personal experience I found that giving the perhaps brutally honest response/view counts for more than sugar coating the "they'll like this" response every poor sod in the wating room will regurgitatate in one form or another. My w/e in many ways put me off medicine and I used this as a talking point in my own interviews.

I agree with what you've posted but applicants shouldn't be afraid of giving that "different" answer.
Apfel
From a young age, medicine has been my passion. Ever since I received a medical playset at the age of 5, I have been fascinated by medicine, and my work experience has created further passion and fascination for the subject. I also have a Duke of Edinburgh award. :awesome:

Sod DoE. I know loads of people, myself included, who had easy conditionals or unconditionals without it. To me it stinks of going into medicine for the wrong reasons and are spoonfed the entire way through admissions.
crazyferret
You'd be surprised with what they "want to hear". Whilst I fully agree with you that you don't want to (even if you are) come off too cynical in an interview...there's a fine line between disillusionment and realism.

In my own personal experience I found that giving the perhaps brutally honest response/view counts for more than sugar coating the "they'll like this" response every poor sod in the wating room will regurgitatate in one form or another. My w/e in many ways put me off medicine and I used this as a talking point in my own interviews.

I agree with what you've posted but there's a lot to be said for giving that "different" answer.

Different, yes, but there's also a fine line between realism and arrogance. You don't want to look like you know everything and that you've got the medic life sussed. Similarly being too doom and gloom makes you look like you want to be a martyr. The majority go down the soppy passionate route because it's basically playing it safe- it's oh so easy to give the wrong impression when the admissions panels have thousands of applications to churn through and massive numbers of rejections to find one way or another.
I've written pretty much the same as what you're trying to say :yes:
crazyferret

I really doubt any applicant has always had an interest in medicine. Can a 16 year old teenager have a realistic appreciation of what a career in medicine entails before even scraping the surface with w/e?

hate to burst your bubble but that is completely unqualified. I can't believe you have already gotten like this. Actually, yes i can. That's worse
1001 Chiko
Different, yes, but there's also a fine line between realism and arrogance. You don't want to look like you know everything and that you've got the medic life sussed. Similarly being too doom and gloom makes you look like you want to be a martyr. The majority go down the soppy passionate route because it's basically playing it safe- it's oh so easy to give the wrong impression when the admissions panels have thousands of applications to churn through and massive numbers of rejections to find one way or another.

Of course you won't have the medic life sussed but hopefully the w/e and volunteering should have given you a fuller appreciation of what medicine involves - I rarely hear appicants discussing the piles of paperwork ect. Whether or not you appear arrogants depends on how you express your views in the interview. I personally acknowledged the "doom and gloom" as you put it then backed it up with a healthy dose of the rose tinted glasses applicant cheer :p: and genuine enthusiasm.

My point is that many applicants don't realise the sheer number of equally qualified people that are interviewed/reviewed. Being slightly "different" and giving a non-standard answer will hopefully make you memorable for the right reasons rather than being one amongst the sea of soppy passionate namby pambies who'll get binned at the end of the day.
1001 Chiko

That sounds pretty good. I'd go with this :smile:
Reply 16
just say the bit u sed : 'I did expect it to strengthen my love for medicine, but not as strongly as it has.' thats wat u wanted 2 say right? so jus put that, it gets ur point across a bit better
crazyferret
Of course you won't have the medic life sussed but hopefully the w/e and volunteering should have given you a fuller appreciation of what medicine involves - I rarely hear appicants discussing the piles of paperwork ect. Whether or not you appear arrogants depends on how you express your views in the interview. I personally acknowledged the "doom and gloom" as you put it then backed it up with a healthy dose of the rose tinted glasses appicant cheer :p:

My point is that many applicants don't realise is the sheer number of people that are interviewed/reviewed. Being slightly "different" and giving a non-standard answer will hopefully make you memorable for the right reasons rather than being one amongst the sea of soppy passionate namby pambies who'll get binned at the end of the day.

Starting to make more sense now. It's a balance really between the risk of misinterpretation and the risk of being the same as everyone else. I've heard tales of mustard yellow suits and walking in holding a pineapple just to be remembered for something. Being realistic has it's value in interviews as the interviewers tend to test how realistic your impression is anyway, but in a personal statement you want to be largely rose tinted with a hint of "my work experience gave me a valuable insight into the difficulties faced by medical staff on a day to day basis, and has left me better prepared for any challenges I would face during medical training" etc etc.
Reply 18

I don't really like cheesiness in personal statements, so I'd rearrange it to what Chiko said. And whilst it does say "perfect career", it says "for me", hence it doesn't mean it's all around perfect. I said something about it being the perfect career for me, but justified through the personal statement why I thought it was the "perfect career" and showed that I knew there may be set-backs and not-so-perfect realities, but I was ready to face them. I'd say, include your awareness of these things in your personal statement, but avoid sounding cynical.
Jessaay!
I don't really like cheesiness in personal statements, so I'd rearrange it to what Chiko said. And whilst it does say "perfect career", it says "for me", hence it doesn't mean it's all around perfect. I said something about it being the perfect career for me, but justified through the personal statement why I thought it was the "perfect career" and showed that I knew there may be set-backs and not-so-perfect realities, but I was ready to face them. I'd say, include your awareness of these things in your personal statement, but avoid sounding cynical.

I went all out and said "...I find it impossible to see myself as anything but a doctor." Picked up in interview at Newcastle and after a bit of brief explanation they seemed happy. Edinburgh and Aberdeen had both sent me offers by Christmas. Seems to be acceptable.

Latest

Trending

Trending