The Student Room Group

Advice about Grades and Oxbridge Needed

Im currently doing my as levels, I am predicted 6A's, but as a mixture of factors, im probably going to end up with 3A's, 3B's, at best, its stressing me out, because applying to oxford was always a very goal of mine ( understand that its not just about grades: but it is 1 possible thing - in my hands - that i could have done right)

Anyways, if i do get those grades, realistically they will weaken my application, this is from a oxford admission tutor who spoke at my school earlier during the year, and said those from private schools should be getting at least 4A's and only about 1 B, or we'd be quite concerned, So my question...

If i f - up, what are my options? Can i decline my grades? Will i still stand a good chance? (i understand its a weird one but..) or is a gap year a better option?

thanks.
Reply 1
Er ... don't do 6 a-levels?
Reply 2
a/s levels, doing 4 a-levels
Reply 3
It is possible to reject your AS grades if they've been aggregated and therefore you won't have to put them on your UCAS form, and, assuming your teachers don't mention them in your reference, Oxford won't know. If, however, you want to take them to A2, and therefore put them in the 'qualifications to be completed' section of the UCAS form, you will be asked about AS attainment, even if you haven't aggregated. It would be extremely suspicious in such circumstances for your teachers not to mention them in your reference and for you not to mention them either, and you would be asked about it at interview.

As you say, if you come clean and exhibit 3 Bs, it would probably weaken your application somewhat, because it shows you couldn't really 'hack it', though how much, I'm not sure...It also depends what subject/s you're applying for; if the Bs are in languages and you're applying for maths, maybe it wouldn't matter...Afterall, offers are 3 As and with at least 3 As and an estimation of at least 3 As for A2, you will be meeting that...
Reply 4
apply anyway.
Reply 5
You may as well apply. The stated requirement (I believe) is 3 As, and since you have those 3 As then you are eligible for applying. The rest is up to a number of factors - your interview, test, and if for maths, do you have to take STEP post-offer? (I think that's just Cambridge but I'm not sure...). If you're good enough with 3 As and a little bit lucky (we all need luck with these things), you have as good enough chance as anyone else with the same grades OR more (IMO).
Reply 6
What are your subjects? They don't take general studies into account so you'd need to be getting 3As in other subjects. You should definitely apply though. Doing 6AS levels is an achievement in itself, and you could hardly call getting 3As and 3Bs bad!
I have a friend with an offer from Merton for PPE. At AS-levels he got 2As, 2Bs and a D and he goes to a private school. He took re-takes in January and now has straight As (the D went to 100% as well). Oxford never saw his grades I believe as our school don't certificate until you finish your A2. If your school certificates them it may be harder, if they don't then you are fine I should imagine.
Reply 8
Apply anyway - and shouldn't Oxford take into consideration your circumstances?

And yeh it depends on what subject you're applying for. Like my friend who's got an offer for Maths - Cambridge only specifically wanted AA for Maths and Further Maths - her third A can be in either Physics or Chemistry, Cam don't actually care. Another woman, my small group leader, she graduated from Cam with Maths, and her offer was AAC, the A's in Maths, C in French. You see it all depends on your subjects. If your B's are likely to be in the crucial/relevant subjects then maybe you'll be a little bit screwed but I'd apply anyway. But if the B's aren't then I don't think you got too much to worry about.
Reply 9
Just out of curiosity if you school cashes in your modules at AS for an AS certificate is there anyway you can reject it, and still carry your module marks to A2?

Also, are offers ever made on the basis of no retakes, as i have read at some universities they say "AAA" first time round or something along those lines. So does that mean no resits?
Reply 10
No - if you cash in, then you've accepted.
I've not heard of any situations in which they say you can't resit, so probably no need to worry there.
Reply 11
RxB
No - if you cash in, then you've accepted.
I've not heard of any situations in which they say you can't resit, so probably no need to worry there.

You can have it reversed and undo the aggregation, and therefore resit, and just have everything cashed-in at A2, but the deadline is September or something like that.
Reply 12
Why don't you email the admissions director at your chosen college to explain the situation and ask for their advice? If you're worried that doing so would adversely affect your application, you could try contacting the OUSU Access Officer or email the admissions director anonymously. 3 As and 3 Bs are hardly bad marks, especially since you're sitting so many AS-levels, and I'm sure they would take your individual circumstances into account.
3a's and 3 b's should be fine at as level

i think they will elgislate for the fact that you are taking 6!
Reply 14
This isn't aimed at the OP really, or their specific situation, but just in general to this response.. :smile:

Dipsomaniac
3a's and 3 b's should be fine at as level

i think they will elgislate for the fact that you are taking 6!

erm. I'm with Shiny - why do that number?

i imagine the majority of people who do 6ASs get straight As, otherwise they wouldn't be taking on such a comparitively large number?

& doing a large number & not getting top grades surely looks negative - as if you spread yourself too thinly.. so you'd be better doing a more 'normal' number & reading round each subject you're A material in?
Reply 15
Elles
This isn't aimed at the OP really, or their specific situation, but just in general to this response.. :smile:

erm. I'm with Shiny - why do that number?

i imagine the majority of people who do 6ASs get straight As, otherwise they wouldn't be taking on such a comparitively large number?

& doing a large number & not getting top grades surely looks negative - as if you spread yourself too thinly.. so you'd be better doing a more 'normal' number & reading round each subject you're A material in?

Yeh I agree there. I remember the Cambridge person that came to talk about Cam said - they would rather you do less A-Levels and get straight A's, rather than do 5 and gets A's and B's. This was in reply to Medicine I think, cus this guy was doing 5 A-Levels.
Juneau

Also, are offers ever made on the basis of no retakes, as i have read at some universities they say "AAA" first time round or something along those lines. So does that mean no resits?

My Cambridge offer is AAA first time round, but that's because I've deferred entry so won't be starting until 2006. It's ok for me to repeat AS modules this summer, but it means that I have to get AAA this June, and can't repeat any during my gap year.

Latest

Trending

Trending