The Student Room Group

Numeracy and Literacy Test?? (before admission)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
looks like things have changed a lot then, as I went and did the tests the other day being told they are basic and I would be able to attend the pre access course and that the test was just to see what level I was at. I looked at the test and froze. The first page was large multiplication and long division being over 20 years since I went to school my mind went blank. I then did the usual self talk that there is no way I can remember how to do long division and multiplication of fractions. I found it hard I wish I had been told at what level the test would be so that I could have revised. I don't know yet if I have passed but I doubt it at this moment in time I am not sure I want to go ahead as I don't want to be made to feel like that again.:confused:
Reply 21
Original post by dolally
looks like things have changed a lot then, as I went and did the tests the other day being told they are basic and I would be able to attend the pre access course and that the test was just to see what level I was at. I looked at the test and froze. The first page was large multiplication and long division being over 20 years since I went to school my mind went blank. I then did the usual self talk that there is no way I can remember how to do long division and multiplication of fractions. I found it hard I wish I had been told at what level the test would be so that I could have revised. I don't know yet if I have passed but I doubt it at this moment in time I am not sure I want to go ahead as I don't want to be made to feel like that again.:confused:

Were you not aware there was going to be a test? I'd have thought the first thing anyone would revise for a numeracy test would be addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. What did you think a numeracy test would involve?

I'm sure if you spend a bit of time revising GCSE maths you'll soon be able to do basic maths again.
Reply 22
Would anyone be able to to tell me if your able to use a calculator? And if not do you atleast get a paper and pen so u can work some things out?

I HATE mental maths...
Original post by Cloudborn
Would anyone be able to to tell me if your able to use a calculator? And if not do you atleast get a paper and pen so u can work some things out?

I HATE mental maths...

In our assessment/interview, we were allowed a pen and paper, but no calculators.

I found the maths to be difficult. However, I'm not choosing subjects that require it, so it doesn't matter. I'd say that if you're concerned about the outcome of your maths test, do some GCSE level revision.
Reply 24
In the test I did, I wasn't informed of a test. When I attended for interview we were put into a room and given a maths paper and an English paper told we had an hour to do each and during the test we would be called out one by one to sit the interview. We were given no more information than that, I wasn't sure if you were allowed paper to work things out and we weren't given any. We weren't told very much and everyone else just seemed to get on with it so I tried my best. The questions included long division and multiplication, multiplication and division of fractions and decimals, some ratio, some problem solving and measurements. I found the paper to start very difficult but the easier questions were at the back. Maybe if I read through the paper first I could have stared at the back and worked my way forward rather than getting myself into a panic and making my mind go blank. The English included multiple choice for grammar, punctuation and spelling as well as choosing one of 2 subjects to free write about, it aslo needed to know what was a verb, noun, pro noun, adjective etc. The English wasn't as difficult although there where some words I had to make up a sentence for that I wasn't sure what they meant. Either way it is to assess what level you are at and if you need help or will be able to keep up with the work it doesn't necessarily mean you wont get through.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 25
Does anyone know if you can use a calculator during the numeracy test for access course?
Reply 26
Original post by Jonty7007
Does anyone know if you can use a calculator during the numeracy test for access course?

no you cant use calculators but you can use pen and paper to work out but you might need to take your own with you. if you can't remember your times tables it can help to write them out in table format and take in with you. But the whole system is changing this year
you can phone and ask the college in advance
For the college I'm currently studying access at we had to do basic skills tests for literacy and numeracy. They were pretty basic test and we had pen and paper if we needed it. The numeracy was mostly mental arithmetic and if I remember rightly both tests had multiple choice answers. I know I struggled on some volume questions, not surprising as it was over 29 years since I studied maths at school but I passed them both fine.

I know some people on the course who were very nervous when they sat the tests and didn't pass them but still got into the course. They do have to do them again before they finish the course though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
http://www.kcl.ac.uk/nursing/study/applicants/preregistration/selectiondays/tests.aspx

Enjoy some free practise numeracy and literacy tests people!
I have a numeracy and literacy test for access to social work. Can someone please tell me if the assessments are difficult?
Reply 30
Hi, I'm in the same situation so I quickly phoned test the city maths course, I took a test and levelled at level 1 :frown: years ago I was brill at maths but I couldnt even work out a division sum on paper, they gave me homework starting from the beginning and with help from my daughter I started to remember how it was done, level 1..read and write whole numbers, rounding numbers, +×÷% numbers, squares and negatives, fractional, decimals, percentage, ratios, scales and diagrams...it may be a good idea to do these a few times to remember how their done
Reply 31
Original post by mumto3
I got a D in my GCSE maths and that was 16 years ago. I sat the access test in january with no problems.
The were questions that were more on a primary school level like
'If 3 children went to shop and spent 86p each, how much change would they have from £5.'
I think they were multiple choice.
BUT if you were to mess it up, ....i think you would be offered help, such as a pre-access course.
Why not get a basic maths skills work book. Primary school ones will help you refresh your memory on fractions, percentages etc

the access test you took is that similar to the maths equivalency test? I'm looking into sitting that instead of doing the higher tier maths paper.
Seriously,am dying here ,Gosh am having a literacy and numeracy assessments entrance ,have no idea what's gonna look like😔,someone should please come to my aid🙏
Original post by Bolaluv7424
Seriously,am dying here ,Gosh am having a literacy and numeracy assessments entrance ,have no idea what's gonna look like😔,someone should please come to my aid🙏

Numeracy tests for Access courses are generally pitched at the level of GCSE foundation maths. I suggest that you take a look at the BBC's GCSE bitesize -
http://www.bbc.co.uk/education/subjects/z6pfb9q -
website to get some practice (Don't bother with trickier topics like calculus or standard deviation - they won't go that far). The literacy test will just be basic grammar and spelling. This site -
http://www.bristol.ac.uk/arts/exercises/grammar/grammar_tutorial/page_41.htm - is really useful if you need to brush up a little on your written grammar.
Reply 34
Hello I have my literacy and numeracy tests in 2 weeks time and it's been 10 years since I sat my exams, some questions come easy to me but some such as ratios and percentages I struggle with can anyone point me in direction of where to practice, online websites? Also literacy isn't my strong point especially punctuation and I've to do a 200 word essay about why you I'd be a good academic for uni and what it would mean to me any ideas of things to include I'm in a total panic X
Reply 35
Hello I have my literacy and numeracy tests in 2 weeks time and it's been 10 years since I sat my exams, some questions come easy to me but some such as ratios and percentages I struggle with can anyone point me in direction of where to practice, online websites? Also literacy isn't my strong point especially punctuation and I've to do a 200 word essay about why I'd be a good academic for uni and what it would mean to me any ideas of things to include I'm in a total panic X
Jddhd
Original post by Lawstude
Very simple questions... i.e. divide 150 into 3 lol - Don't stress yourself out - just look over the billy basics.

English test is a doddle - you might get given 3-4 scenario questions to pick from (this may differ from college to college). I choose a question on smoking and advertising and basically said that it was ethincally incorrect for a tabacco company to sponsor a sports event.

You have nothing to worry about :-) the test is merely there to check that you're capable of the 'basics'.

How many do u have to get right? Does it work as a percentage?
Hi Everyone. I've been asked to do a pre assessment this Friday, for doing my Maths GCSE again (as a 37 yr old😂🙈.)I was really silly at school and just sat there in the exam, and had a bad teacher. My point is, I haven't revised. Haven't got a clue. Don't remember all my times tables, long division, long multiplication, simplifying fractions, get the picture?! I don't remember any of it and don't have much time🙂.What do we think will be expected for a pre gcse assessment?Any positive replies very much appreciated x
jami74 .... really? How unhelpful. The last thing anyone in that situation would want to hear.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending