The Student Room Group

Numeracy and Literacy Test?? (before admission)

I have 3 interviews lined up for colleges, as I want to take an Access course.

They have told me that I will need to do a numeracy and literacy test. My english is great and I got an A-grade at GCSE. But, my maths is not good. It is my weakest subject by far. I got a B-grade at GCSE.

Please don't say I got a B at GCSE maths so I will be alright:p: I took GCSEs a loooong while ago, and I have trouble remembering even how to add fractions now tbh - it's just been too long.

So, for those who have done the access course numeracy and literacy tests... What type of questions are on the numeracy test?
I'm going to have to revise the entire GCSE maths syllabus in just 4 days v___v
Please help!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Very simple questions... i.e. divide 150 into 3 lol - Don't stress yourself out - just look over the billy basics.

English test is a doddle - you might get given 3-4 scenario questions to pick from (this may differ from college to college). I choose a question on smoking and advertising and basically said that it was ethincally incorrect for a tabacco company to sponsor a sports event.

You have nothing to worry about :-) the test is merely there to check that you're capable of the 'basics'.
Reply 2
i don't really know what an access course is ....
i am doing GCSE at the mo and the hardest thing we have done is factorising quadratic equations and plotting them on graphs - that sort of thing
but tbh once you can factorise one quadratic its pretty easy to factorise the rest - just follow the rule
Reply 3
Lawstude
Very simple questions... i.e. divide 150 into 3 lol - Don't stress yourself out - just look over the billy basics.

You have nothing to worry about :-) the test is merely there to check that you're capable of the 'basics'.

i'll be honest, i cannot work out 150 divided by 3. Seriously i haven't had to do those types of calculations in very long time. :frown:

I studied economics BA for 2 years at a Top 20 uni, and that was fine... that maths is very different from what you call 'basics'.

For me, the 'basics' are really difficult lol I've been thinking about 150/3 in my head for 15 mins now, and I don't know what it could be. lol - I'm not dumb,,, honest :biggrin: Basic basic basic maths just kills me, that's why I'm worried.

Looks like I'll have to be revising long division/multiplication over the weekend......
Reply 4
I got a D in my GCSE maths and that was 16 years ago. I sat the access test in january with no problems.
The were questions that were more on a primary school level like
'If 3 children went to shop and spent 86p each, how much change would they have from £5.'
I think they were multiple choice.
BUT if you were to mess it up, ....i think you would be offered help, such as a pre-access course.
Why not get a basic maths skills work book. Primary school ones will help you refresh your memory on fractions, percentages etc
Reply 5
ndkathleen
i'll be honest, i cannot work out 150 divided by 3. Seriously i haven't had to do those types of calculations in very long time. :frown:

I studied economics BA for 2 years at a Top 20 uni, and that was fine... that maths is very different from what you call 'basics'.

For me, the 'basics' are really difficult lol I've been thinking about 150/3 in my head for 15 mins now, and I don't know what it could be. lol - I'm not dumb,,, honest :biggrin: Basic basic basic maths just kills me, that's why I'm worried.

Looks like I'll have to be revising long division/multiplication over the weekend......

The answers 50 btw :P

I think you'll be fine... look I managed to pass it! lol :-) and everyone knows that I suck completely at maths lol
ndkathleen
I have 3 interviews lined up for colleges, as I want to take an Access course.

They have told me that I will need to do a numeracy and literacy test. My english is great and I got an A-grade at GCSE. But, my maths is not good. It is my weakest subject by far. I got a B-grade at GCSE.

Please don't say I got a B at GCSE maths so I will be alright:p: I took GCSEs a loooong while ago, and I have trouble remembering even how to add fractions now tbh - it's just been too long.

So, for those who have done the access course numeracy and literacy tests... What type of questions are on the numeracy test?
I'm going to have to revise the entire GCSE maths syllabus in just 4 days v___v
Please help!!

hi ndkathleen you not on your own the whole reason why sometimes they require you to sit such tests is to assess what level you are upto.I had to do a similar test for a Access Course i wanted to do.Like you Maths isnt my strongest subject in fact at the mo i dont even have a decent grade in GCSE in Maths and only have a GCSE grade C In English.I re-took my Maths GCSE this year.
I wouldnt worry too much about it just give the upcoming tests you best shot.
If i seem to remember most of the numeracy tests are aimed at level 2 or GCSE maths equivalent level so the fact u have a high grade in Maths you should be fine
Reply 7
Thanks!

I'm doing a bit of basic primary school level revision. The tests are tomorrow!!!!
Reply 8
ndkathleen
Thanks!

I'm doing a bit of basic primary school level revision. The tests are tomorrow!!!!

Good luck =)
Reply 9
But surely they ask more than multiplication and division? That's all I have learnt.... :frown:
I can't believe the advent of the calculator has made me forget all this basic nonsense.
ndkathleen
But surely they ask more than multiplication and division? That's all I have learnt.... :frown:
I can't believe the advent of the calculator has made me forget all this basic nonsense.

Yes they will ask you more than addition,subtraction,multiplication,division.They could also include working out percentages of a certain amount.Ratios etc.Hope i have given u some advice that u find useful also i seem to remember the numeracy tests were non-calculator ndkathleen good luck with it.:yep:
Reply 11
Thanks.

I did the test and interview. The test was fine, so simple. But anyway it didn't matter!!!

The interviewer loved me and actually pleaded that I pick their college! lol!?

I'm wondering whether to go there or not... They said 5 people went to cambridge from there last year. And people went to LSE too...
I don't know whether to trust them though, because they said 'you do certainly have a chance to apply to LSE'
i told them that I only had Grade B GCSE in maths, and that LSE would want A*-A AND some type of high level maths (A/S|A-level)

But they said like "no, it's different with mature candidates" - dunno about that tbh ?_?
Reply 12
ndkathleen
Thanks.

I did the test and interview. The test was fine, so simple. But anyway it didn't matter!!!

I'm wondering whether to go there or not... They said 5 people went to cambridge from there last year. And people went to LSE too...
I don't know whether to trust them though, because they said 'you do certainly have a chance to apply to LSE'
i told them that I only had Grade B GCSE in maths, and that LSE would want A*-A AND some type of high level maths (A/S|A-level)

But they said like "no, it's different with mature candidates" - dunno about that tbh ?_?

Very well done!

Aforementioned, I have my test on Monday and I'm so worried, I'm glued to all sorts of Maths text and revision books... please put my mind at ease! Lol!

Once more, best of luck, at least you can now move forward! :redface:)
Reply 13
ndkathleen
Thanks.

Glad that you found it easy.

You now need to make a decision - perhaps discuss it with your family in more depth. Moreover, these students that made it into Cambridge and LSE...- what did they study? were they required to take on extra topics? - a question you might want to ask....
Reply 14
Well, I have no family I can speak to lol

Yeah, I should ask those questions... They said to get the full amount of credits (80 credits level3 i believe) I will have to do 90 assignments.
So yeah, I would have to study extra things (same core subjects though)
This is not a typo... I am wondering if 80 credits is really needed, but I think I should do the best. That way I have a greater chance of going to a top uni...

I can't decide Birbeck or the other place I'm talking about... :-s

How can I choose?!?!?!?
Reply 15
I've just completed an Access course aswell.

And i think the most important thing you need to do to get an offer from a good university is make a detailed and well thought out application, including the personal statement which is probably the most important aspect of the application when Uni's are considering mature candidates.

In your application you should point out the skills you have learnt in life (whatever they may be), skills you have learnt while working and what gaining a degree will do for you as a person.

I think if you put together a well thought out application then you will get good, achievable offers from ANY university.

You shouldn't worry about GCSE results that you got years ago, the most important thing is how you do on the access course and how well you perform at level 3.

Thats just my 2 cents...Good luck:smile:
Reply 16
Hello,

Im taking my Numeracy and Literacy test in 3 weeks time.Math is very bad and I was wondering if any of you remember any questions form the test ?? would be great to have an idea.
Thank you
A.
The hardest maths assessments would most definitely be on access to pharmacy and medicine courses. I recently sat a 2 hour long assessment in maths and literacy and I can tell you now the maths was real hard whereas I'm good with my English through having done it for A-levels.

I can quite honestly say from gathering information myself through an actual assessment and people on here that maths tests for differing access courses are less vigorous.
I have a math and English test next week to do Social Work at Doncaster College. I achieved B in English 10 years age at GCSE level and D in Math. I really don't want to do the pre-access course as it's more hours per week, which could cause a problem with work/ childcare.
Speaking of Maths and English Test before admission.I have another one on a Saturday at the college where i am currently studying Pre-Access wise in April this year its for their Access to HE Diploma.They havnt as yet done me the specific date just said formal it be a Saturday and in April lol

I sat it before and thats the main reason i am on the Pre-Access as didnt do so well in My Maths:eek:I just have to start doing some revision when i can find the time.I am also in the process of applying elsewhere at another college and again there is a mention of assessments.I can understand why they have to be used but for the small majority who isnt that good at maths or it has been ages since we did GCSE it sometimes can be very hard especially if u only got like 20 mins to do a Maths test for example
Good luck to everyone whos applying this year or has applied for Access to He Diplomas :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending