The Student Room Group

Need Help Finding Temoprary Work and Holiday Problem

It's going to cost me loads of money to go to Uni, so I thought it would be good to get some temporary work if I could, so I could get some extra cash. The only problem is I'm not sure where to start looking, temp work is rarely advertised in my local newspaper. I'm applying for one job I've seen, but I'm not guarenteed to get it. Do you think an employment agency would be able to help? I need work that only lasts from July until September. The main problem is that my family has booked a holiday in August and there is no way my parents will let me stop at home alone for a week. (I'm 18, but my mum's really over protective) I'm worried this would hinder my chances of getting a job. I could sell some of my old stuff at a car boot sale to raise money, but I don't have anything of incredible worth, so I'd be lucky to raise £100. Please help.
Reply 1
what type of temp ?

labour or business ?

There are lots of places do a search or look in the yellow pages:addecco, manpower etc.

labour is not so good all you do is lift lift and lift more

Usually you are just covering for someone that is on holidays or doing this type of work cause the union guys(who have specific training: forklift op, s/r) wont do it

Its on call

business is ok too if your trying to break in to that sector?

Job search?

Look at each sector: while your doing temp apply at places with alot of flexibility: places that advertise for part time workers(under 40 hours a week) supermarkets, restraunts etc.

Try

Do you know what type of career you want ?

Volunteering is a great choice (unlike labour you actually get a chance to develop job skill that are relevant to your area of interest)

As for financing education, I would advise you to work your way through school
Reply 2
im in the same boat - going away half way through august and will only be able to work until then from the start of july.

i think maybe if you try somewhere like a pub (i'm guessing you'll be 18) they'll be more more happy than a business, shop or company to take someone on for a temporary job.

m&s actually seemed quite hopeful - i got an interview there but had to turn it down in the end because it was actually too faraway from me to travel to every day:

search for a job in your area on this page, and this is the page with basic info about the actual job (i think you'd only be able to get a customer service/assistant type job for temp work. hope they've got some vacancies near you.
Reply 3
silence
m&s actually seemed quite hopeful - i got an interview there but had to turn it down in the end because it was actually too faraway from me to travel to every day.

If you live near an M&S I'd recommend them - worked there the summer before I started uni and it was OK. The money was fine and it wasn't that bad a place to work. Plus they seem to be very accommodating with pre-booked holidays and stuff. And if you want to work part-time while at uni, they'll arrange for you to transfer to the local shop there apparently.
Jenn xx
Reply 4
ah they sound really good to work for. but this place was about a 30min drive from me.. along the motorway. which i wasn't that keen on doing every day lol.

a local hotel i applied for work at (got the idea of these forums in fact) called me today (but i missed it, doh!), which can only be some kind of good news. they offer something called "casual work" which is basically temporary work where you help set up conferences, banquets and other similar stuff. my only real chance of success i reckon lol. but yeh, i'd recommend considering hotel work it there's one near you.

Latest

Trending

Trending