The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I would, but I like Gov & Pol too much! I've wanted to do Gov & Pol and Philosophy since year 9, and because they're both thought of as 'sof' subjects I dropped philosophy. And surely uni's would like it if I did 5 A levels and got good in all of them (I'm determined to not fail!)

If you think you can do it then go for it. After all, you can always drop one after AS or even two if you find the pressure unbearable.
Reply 21
danidanidani91
Take 5 to start with because its relatively easy to drop a subject in the first term, not so much to pick one up. Although History and Gov+Pol might be "easier" ones (I have no idea btw!) they are essay based and so will take up more time so bear that in mind. definitely definitely definitely take 5 to start with though and see how it goes!

Thanks, that's probably what I will do. My only worry is (asyuo've pointed out) history and politics are both essay based, so that's why I wanted to know what Further maths is like and what it's worth because I'm going to have to balance my workload out very carefully!
Reply 22
Have you thought about what FM modules you are going to do?
Reply 23
_MaThs_
Well I found Physics to be much more difficult than Maths, maybe because I was doing Edexcel old spec. Anyway, you could do 5 AS's and then drop one and carry on with 4 A-Levels?

No, I'm doing Civil Engineering. I wouldn't of done Physics if I'd do a maths course in uni :smile:.

My advice: Do Maths, F Maths, History OR gov&pol and Physics. Start looking over the topics for each subject during the summer if possible, it will help you a lot, I know it's summer don't have a go at me :p:

Really? I've always found physics really easy! The easiest of all the sciences anyway, but that's probably because I was doing the AQA spec.
Hmm, I might drop one (but I love them all too much) if I don't like it, but I can't possibly drop any of them now!

And I'm already looking over most of the topics for history and government and politics, so that next year I'll be able to focus more on maths and physics :smile: I'm a geek, I know :yep:
A very good combination, as you want to do maths in uni, would be: Maths, Further Maths, Physics, History, and G&P would be the extra AS....Doing further maths at uni would strongly benefit you for Maths at uni.....

Not to be biased but I knew someone who had 5 strong A's at AS in Maths, Economics, Physics, Biology, Chemistry and he was a really sociable guy but got rejected from Oxford for Maths, probably because he didn't have Further Maths.

Further Maths shows you have desire to do the subject to study it more and can be a strong sign of your interest in the subject. I would strongly recommend you to take it
Reply 25
sarsi
Have you thought about what FM modules you are going to do?

Um, no? I'm going to see really unprepared but my school didn't really tell me anything other than the fact that I'm going to do further maths next year (if I want to, of couse). What modules are there, exactly?
Reply 26
Um, no? I'm going to see really unprepared but my school didn't really tell me anything other than the fact that I'm going to do further maths next year (if I want to, of couse). What modules are there, exactly?

Depends the exam board you are on. Edexcel, OCR, AQA..?
Reply 27
.:excel4100%:.
A very good combination, as you want to do maths in uni, would be: Maths, Further Maths, Physics, History, and G&P would be the extra AS....Doing further maths at uni would strongly benefit you for Maths at uni.....

Not to be biased but I knew someone who had 5 strong A's at AS in Maths, Economics, Physics, Biology, Chemistry and he was a really sociable guy but got rejected from Oxford for Maths, probably because he didn't have Further Maths.

Further Maths shows you have desire to do the subject to study it more and can be a strong sign of your interest in the subject. I would strongly recommend you to take it

Thanks! You've officially convinced me to do further maths :biggrin:
Reply 28
sarsi
Depends the exam board you are on. Edexcel, OCR, AQA..?

The exam board is Edexcel for maths, so I'm assuming Further maths would also be the same

You really dont need to know at this stage dont worry! My college didnt give us a choice anyway in the first year! There are core modules that you have to do for Maths, and core modules for Further Maths, but you can then choose some from statistics, decision, mechanics and some other weird ones but you usually have to self study those I think.
We cant tell you how much time further maths is going to take because we dont know your ability i'm afraid! If you are naturally good at maths it will be a stroll in the park and probably wont require hardly any work ourside lesson times BUT if thats not the case, then it could be a huge drain on your time. Like I said though, take the 5 and relax and enjoy your summer!
Reply 30
Really? I've always found physics really easy! The easiest of all the sciences anyway, but that's probably because I was doing the AQA spec.
Hmm, I might drop one (but I love them all too much) if I don't like it, but I can't possibly drop any of them now!

And I'm already looking over most of the topics for history and government and politics, so that next year I'll be able to focus more on maths and physics :smile: I'm a geek, I know :yep:

Why geek? I wish I went over the topics after I finished my GCSE's.

Good luck with them, good news you're not doing Edexcel Physics :yep:
Reply 31
The exam board is Edexcel for maths, so I'm assuming Further maths would also be the same

I also did FM edexcel. I did D1, D2 and FP1. I prefered FP1 over the decisions modules as I found it easier to score in the exams. However, some people find it easier to score in D1 and D2, it depends whether you prefer the pure or applied side. There is also M1 to M5 and S1 to S4.
Thanks! You've officially convinced me to do further maths :biggrin:

:yep: Great....Further Maths, I feel is not harder than normal Maths now that they've changed the FP modules (FP1 june09 was incredibly easy) and it will help to show the uni admission tutors that you have an interest in maths
Reply 33
danidanidani91
You really dont need to know at this stage dont worry! My college didnt give us a choice anyway in the first year! There are core modules that you have to do for Maths, and core modules for Further Maths, but you can then choose some from statistics, decision, mechanics and some other weird ones but you usually have to self study those I think.
We cant tell you how much time further maths is going to take because we dont know your ability i'm afraid! If you are naturally good at maths it will be a stroll in the park and probably wont require hardly any work ourside lesson times BUT if thats not the case, then it could be a huge drain on your time. Like I said though, take the 5 and relax and enjoy your summer!

Oh good, because I thought that I was immensly underprepared.
Well, basically these last two years I've done nothing in my maths lessons (bad, I know) because I thought the stuff we were learning was ridiculously easy (I've only used up half of my maths book whereas other people have gotten through 4/5 exercise books :biggrin: ) and I'm pretty sure I've got around 91% ish or mabye higher in both exams (because of the answers that Mr M posted up after each exam) and I also did an extra statistics GCSE too (which was even easier than maths). Does that give you some sort of clue about my ability? :smile:

And I hate doing nothing in my holidays, I feel completely useless :yep:
Reply 34
_MaThs_
Why geek? I wish I went over the topics after I finished my GCSE's.

Good luck with them, good news you're not doing Edexcel Physics :yep:

I'm trying to make sure that I don't feel as stressed as I was for my GCSE's, and they seem to be nothing compared to A levels.

Yep, thank god because AQA seems much easier!
Reply 35
sarsi
I also did FM edexcel. I did D1, D2 and FP1. I prefered FP1 over the decisions modules as I found it easier to score in the exams. However, some people find it easier to score in D1 and D2, it depends whether you prefer the pure or applied side. There is also M1 to M5 and S1 to S4.

What exactly does each module contain? :smile:
Reply 36
.:excel4100%:.
:yep: Great....Further Maths, I feel is not harder than normal Maths now that they've changed the FP modules (FP1 june09 was incredibly easy) and it will help to show the uni admission tutors that you have an interest in maths

I'm glad they've made it easier, less work for me :yep:
And hopefully the uni's will see it the way you do!

And I hate doing nothing in my holidays, I feel completely useless :yep:

Can I have some of your motivation please? I have 2 massive textbooks to read for october and just cannot face them! haha!
Further crap
Reply 39
danidanidani91
Can I have some of your motivation please? I have 2 massive textbooks to read for october and just cannot face them! haha!

Well, this motivation came after the (almost) heart attack I had after I realised I was completely unprepared for my GCSE's, so now I'm trying to get a head start.
What are the two textbooks about?

Latest