The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Finally, someone says something interesting on the subject Sarky.

The Paeds thing isn't something I've heard that much about before, I'd like to know more though. I do think there is a case for the obvious, that it is a very nurturing specialty which requires patience and a steady head for the long term rather than a big swinging ego intervention. But that basic stereotype doesn't quite cut it, you're right. Is it perhaps just a virtuous circle, like you say, that the more it becomes accepted to have flexible, parent-friendly ways of working, the more it attracts people who believe in that and the more it becomes a part of that culture? Also, is there anything in the idea that men are put off working with children these days because of the media hype about paedophilia and the high-profile (But not necassarily statistically significant) legal cases about child protection made against paediatricians?
Reply 21
I think women shouldn't be allowed to train in medicine. We obv. waste everyone's time with our childbearing hips and hormones.
Reply 22
AEH
Finally, someone says something interesting on the subject Sarky.

The Paeds thing isn't something I've heard that much about before, I'd like to know more though. I do think there is a case for the obvious, that it is a very nurturing specialty which requires patience and a steady head for the long term rather than a big swinging ego intervention. But that basic stereotype doesn't quite cut it, you're right. Is it perhaps just a virtuous circle, like you say, that the more it becomes accepted to have flexible, parent-friendly ways of working, the more it attracts people who believe in that and the more it becomes a part of that culture? Also, is there anything in the idea that men are put off working with children these days because of the media hype about paedophilia and the high-profile (But not necassarily statistically significant) legal cases about child protection made against paediatricians?

I don't think there is anything wrong with anyone being attracted to paeds because of the type of personality required thats great. But like you've said men can also have those attributes. I did read a paper argh I can't find it, talking about sexual discrimination in medicine and it goes both ways. A bit like being a nursery nurse, some men feel actively discriminated against going into the profession so you're right there.

But in terms of intensity and hours, paediatrics can have much more in common with acute medical specialties than things like GP and public health. So maybe if those specialities were more like paeds in terms of opportunities and mentorship, then the balance would change.

Hope that makes sense, the dissertation is barely off the ground so i'm kind of thinking out loud.
Reply 23
Not at all, sounds like a very interesting piece of work coming along, I'd be up for reading it if it goes anywhere. Although this thinking aloud bit is one of my favorites, just knocking ideas around and seeing how they develop.
Our very female very feminist Dean, who is vice-president of the Royal College of Physicians, delighted in pointing out that by 2017 over 50% of all doctors in this country will be female (not just new graduates), according to a a RCGP survey, and how this will change the dynamics of the medical workforce with increasing part-time training opportunities etc.
Interestingly, we are one of the few medical schools in the country (? the only one) to buck the trend of having a 60:40 female to male intake - we're still 50:50.
Reply 25
That's not very Royal Free of you at all is it? And not something I'd have expected from Godless of Gower St in general, given your high non-medic female intake. Any suggestions?
Reply 26
becca2389
That doesn't even deserve a response.

Ok People.

I think its time to own up in regards to how many actually read the whole thing.

I'll start.

I didn't get past the first line. :rofl:
AEH
That's not very Royal Free of you at all is it? And not something I'd have expected from Godless of Gower St in general, given your high non-medic female intake. Any suggestions?

Well we've lost the Royal Free name from our title now, so meh. The faculty and interviewers do tend to be male, so perhaps that has something to do with it subconsciously. I don't actually know whether our 50:50 intake just reflects that we get more male applicants than the national average, and I'm no longer in a position to find out - it'd be interesting to see.

Almost all of the prizes and scholarships available at our medical school (especially the preclin ones) are only open to female students, which is/was really annoying and is obviously because of the Free's history.
I only read the first few lines - what a load of old ****
Spencer Wells
Almost all of the prizes and scholarships available at our medical school (especially the preclin ones) are only open to female students, which is/was really annoying and is obviously because of the Free's history.

That's interesting. I was aware that a lot of the scholarships were, but not the actual prizes? It doesn't mention anything on the website.

You're right, it's really unfair.

I'm proud to be connected to the Free though. I love that list of women at the Free who got the gold medals from the early 1900s.
becca2389
That's interesting. I was aware that a lot of the scholarships were, but not the actual prizes? It doesn't mention anything on the website.
You're right, it's really unfair.

There are clincial prizes specifically for the best performing females in each of the exams.

As for the gold medal - we've retained it again this year (5 in a row and 8 out of the last 9). Went to a bloke again though.
Reply 31
The NHS could always open up creches in hospital :smile:
That was funny, but statistics were wrong but a lot of women do drop out to have families.

But this article mentions nothing about the women who do not breed or those who return after child birth.

So all in all its TOTALLY invalid, and therefore completely disagree with it.

Its kind of like taking the bible at face value.
Phryx
The NHS could always open up creches in hospital :smile:

All ready have!

Latest

Trending

Trending