The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I remember reading a university website that says that Further Maths is not necessary and is treated as ONE A LEVEL i.e. if you have further maths and maths at a2, then the further maths is not considered separately due to the over lap. I wouldn't suggest further maths, you can do economics without it - look at admissions criteria on university websites. (y) good luck x
DrunkHoboGuy
bearing in mind im not amazing at maths but an easy A* at gcse

:confused:
?
If you're applying for economics at top 10 unis, further maths (to AS standard) would be beneficial.
totally useless trust me, it is only useful if you're applying for maths (which you are not)
clad in armour
:confused:
?

A* at GCSE is not conducive to being amazing at Maths; I know people who got an A* at GCSE and a B/C at AS level.
Reply 6
I'm considering pretty much only top 10 unis...

but If i apply to oxford it would be for PPE.
DrunkHoboGuy
What would look more impressive an A* in full maths a level, or A in maths + A in futher maths AS?

Just do it, do FMaths.

Coke Or Pepsi
I remember reading a university website that says that Further Maths is not necessary and is treated as ONE A LEVEL i.e. if you have further maths and maths at a2, then the further maths is not considered separately due to the over lap. I wouldn't suggest further maths, you can do economics without it

This a lie. FMaths is not considered one a level on its own regardless of Maths a level. If you want to do economics then you have to do Maths.

P.S. Anyway DrunkHoboGuy post this in Economics section or Maths section as you will get wrong advice in this section. Certainly, unis will probably offer you a lower grade if you do FMaths. Also, you will have a better chance of getting an offer with FMaths.
Simplicity
Just do it, do FMaths.

This a lie. FMaths is not considered one a level on its own regardless of Maths a level. If you want to do economics then you have to do Maths.

P.S. Anyway DrunkHoboGuy post this in Economics section or Maths section as you will get wrong advice in this section. Certainly, unis will probably offer you a lower grade if you do FMaths. Also, you will have a better chance of getting an offer with FMaths.

Well I read it on a uni website that said it wasn't acceptable I just don't remember where, so it's evidently not a lie, it's just not common.
For example, Kings (Medicine A100) says Further Maths is only acceptable until AS if you're doing Maths already. Not a perfect example but an example nevertheless.
There is a lot of misinformation in this thread. Anyone wanting to study maths, physics, computer science, most kinds of engineering or economics at a top university should be thinking of taking a full A level in further maths. Not only will it give a competitive advantage against anyone not taking it, but it will make life easier in the first year of university when you are likely to cover the same ground much, much quicker.
Coke Or Pepsi
I remember reading a university website that says that Further Maths is not necessary and is treated as ONE A LEVEL i.e. if you have further maths and maths at a2, then the further maths is not considered separately due to the over lap. I wouldn't suggest further maths, you can do economics without it - look at admissions criteria on university websites. (y) good luck x

It's not treated as one A Level for economics... It would be very helpful for economics.
Coke Or Pepsi
For example, Kings (Medicine A100) says Further Maths is only acceptable until AS if you're doing Maths already. Not a perfect example but an example nevertheless.

Not a perfect example?!

It's a terrible example!

That's for MEDICINE. The OP wants to do ECONOMICS.
Coke Or Pepsi

Perhaps you didn't notice that the OP was asking in the context of an application for economics? Obviously, further maths is of little use for medicine or the social sciences or arts subjects.
Coke Or Pepsi

I believe Medicine is the exception that proves the rule; they're considered seperately for everything else
Jonty99
Not a perfect example?!

It's a terrible example!

That's for MEDICINE. The OP wants to do ECONOMICS.

Well there's no need to get all testy about it :/ It's still not required for economics either. I'd recommend reading course requirements. For example, LSE only wants Maths, not both, so why do Further Maths as well unless you actually enjoy it. Don't get so heated :/ It was just a comment - this isn't an argument. Goodness. In essence, it's a waste of time unless you want to do a Maths degree or something that actually has further maths in it o.o
Reply 16
It shows Unis that you are able and willing to expand your knowledge in subjects that you love. It shows them that you are able to undetake almost twice the workload as single maths students - evidence that you will be able to cope with Uni work.

I know for a fact that Unis like Cambridge and Oxford will say do it, if you can, because i've asked them :smile:

Not to mention how interesting it actually is (if you like maths in general) and potentially useful (although a lot of it is "pure" maths - not applied).
DrunkHoboGuy
bearing in mind im not amazing at maths but an easy A* at gcse

You might want to reconsider studying economics at a top university if you don't like maths. A degree in economics as very different to economics at A level, and there is rather more maths involved, to say the least.
Coke Or Pepsi
Well there's no need to get all testy about it :/ It's still not required for economics either. I'd recommend reading course requirements. For example, LSE only wants Maths, not both, so why do Further Maths as well unless you actually enjoy it. Don't get so heated :/ It was just a comment - this isn't an argument. Goodness. In essence, it's a waste of time unless you want to do a Maths degree or something that actually has further maths in it o.o

Lol sorry, I have this annoying habit on the internet of sounding far angrier than I actually am. :p:
Jonty99
Lol sorry, I have this annoying habit on the internet of sounding far angrier than I actually am. :p:

Lol its ok, but yeah I over-read the economics thing. I just find there's no need to gang up on people 8-) We're all human. We can all make mistakes.

Latest