The Student Room Group

is SAT II Maths needed?

Hey,
I'm taking the SAT IIs this autumn and just wondering is it necessary to take the Maths II option? I've heard a lot about how important it is but is it actually required or majorly important to unis like the ivies?
I got a 2100 on the SAT I and can't afford to have another shot, but my maths definately let me down as I only got a 630 on it. For the SAT IIs I'm hoping to go with Bio, World History and Lit. - is this a good idea? I only take literature in sixth form, but I've ordered books and am hoping to study them over the summer.

Also, about the SAT. Apart from the maths, the other part I didn't do so well on was the essay. In the Writing section i got full marks for the multiple choice questions but a 8 out of 12 in the essay. Is it true that the essay itself gets sent to unis you apply to along with the scores? it wasn't absolutely awful, but it wasn't my best work. if so, will it be sort of overshadowed by the application essays which I've had time to work on?

And about the 2100. I've heard that for Ivies the ideal SAT score is 2100+ so do I still have a shot? Especially with that low maths score? I'm not looking to do any mathsy or sciency course if that matters.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice!!
Reply 1
You don't need to do any SAT IIs in Maths unless you're applying for a programme that specifically asks for it. That being said, if you are planning on taking Maths, definitely do II, because a lot of good universities seem to consider Maths I as a bit lightweight. If you could do better it might shore up your SAT I Maths score, though.

I did World History and Literature, and honestly there isn't really any way to prepare for Lit short of doing a few practice tests. If you did it in 6th Form you should be fine. World Histo might be an issue, though; it's very, very varied, so I'd recommend you get one of the booklets of official past papers and fine out which areas your knowledge is lacking in. Given the fact that it doesn't conform very well to the British education system, though, you get some latitude on the part of receiving universities.
Reply 2
Depends on whether or not the uni you're applying to requests it.

BTW, which books are you using to revise for world history? the official SAT subject one? princeton review?
Reply 3
For books, basically I just went on Amazon and got the cheapest ones I could find which were study guides rather than test papers. I did lean towards the Kaplan ones because I used a Kaplan one for my SAT I and I liked the casual langauge style (wasn't dry or unnecessarily long winded or anything) and found it was good to study from. I got that doing the same thing on Amazon.
The only schools that I'm aware that require specifically the Math II are MIT and I think Caltech.

Are SAT IIs even required? If you are taking SAT IIs, the Math II might be worth taking. It has a generous curve and only goes to pre-calc while being considered a solid science by universities.

For books, here is a thread with people reviewing the books for each test. I personally find the college board books best (of course), and Barron's solid across the board, although some people find them tedious.

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/sat-subject-tests-preparation/358168-list-best-review-books.html
Reply 5
I cousine went to Yale and she got 2280 in SAT I. 2100 seems pretty reasonable, especially if you've excellent essays and application. Try to do very good in SAT II, and yes, include Maths. That'll make your app look more appealing. The Ivies regularly reject 2400/2400 applicants.

Latest

Trending

Trending