The Student Room Group

I'm confused if I chose the right GCSE.

Hello,

I'm in year 9 and I think I've chosen relatively good GCSE's for year 11 except from one of them which I'm unsure of.

The GCSE's I have chosen are:

English + English Lit
Maths
Biology + Chemistry + Physics
Economics
French
Portuguese
Sociology
RS (THE ONE IM UNSURE OF)

Has anyone taken this RS gcse exam before or are currently studying for this? Could you let me know of your experiences or results and how good it is of a subject to choose?

Thank you:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
RS is easy if you want to get an A*, i am no where near the elites on this website and am pretty average and managed to get an A* with little work and no revision.
Reply 2
W_I_I_L did you take RS for GCSE?
Reply 3
How does the system work at your school? Do you have to choose between doing RS or not doing RS or would you do another subject instead if you didn't do RS?
Reply 4
GCSES are piss easy ESPECIALLY the gcses like R.S, Sports Studies etc easy A*
Reply 5
ttoby
How does the system work at your school? Do you have to choose between doing RS or not doing RS or would you do another subject instead if you didn't do RS?

Well i had 4 choices to choose for gcse and i chose RS as one of them.
Reply 6
RS was hilarious.
Watched movies in the lessons read the textbook the night before and got an A*.
Good times.
Although sometimes we had debates in class about the content e.g. about abortion and euthanasia and as much as I hate to admit it, twas quite interesting if you're into that sort of stuff.
And my friend does it for AS and i was flicking through her textbook and it does seem like it gets more detailed.
Anyway what I'm trying to say is yeah go for it.
Here's a clue: GCSEs don't matter. As long as you have Maths, Sciences and English lang/lit, the rest don't matter. Choose what you want, absolutely no one will care.
Reply 8
Smeh
RS was hilarious.
Watched movies in the lessons read the textbook the night before and got an A*.
Good times.
Although sometimes we had debates in class about the content e.g. about abortion and euthanasia and as much as I hate to admit it, twas quite interesting if you're into that sort of stuff.
And my friend does it for AS and i was flicking through her textbook and it does seem like it gets more detailed.
Anyway what I'm trying to say is yeah go for it.

Sounds good. :biggrin: One thing, what are the topics you study? Is it Christianity and Buddhism? Could you let me know which topics?
Reply 9
Pedro94
Hello,

I'm in year 9 and I think I've chosen relatively good GCSE's for year 11 except from one of them which I'm unsure of.

The GCSE's I have chosen are:

English + English Lit
Maths
Biology + Chemistry + Physics
Economics
French
Portuguese
Sociology
RS (THE ONE IM UNSURE OF)

Has anyone taken this RS gcse exam before or are currently studying for this? Could you let me know of your experiences or results and how good it is of a subject to choose?

Thank you:smile:

RS is extremely easy to get an A*, I never ever revise for it and I get that grade in every test we do in class, including the end of year (year 10) exam. Sociology is the one I would have mixed feelings about because it is seen as a 'soft' subject it isn't taken very seriously most of the time, and personally I would change to either History or Geography, but looking at your other options (which are great) keep it if you want!

Edit: In RS the topics you study are:

Christianity - traditionists, Roman Catholics, Quakers.
Islam.
Prejudice and discrimination.
Abortion.
Communicating with God.
War and peace.
What we can learn from religion.
Reply 10
We had RS as compulsory, and I think we had less lessons per week on it than other subjects, purely because it's such an easy GCSE. Go for it, it consists of jumping through hoops by learning some basic religious vocab, memorising a handful of quotes that cover most topics, and following a pre-learned formula for answering every question. Your biggest challenge will be if they give you a stupid question in the exam, or if you forget something you should have memorised and you have to be a bit creative to get around it. Most things you might forget you can guess your way around anyway, you can imagine how predictable Roman Catholic views on most issues are. And if you're ever in doubt, you can always say 'Some Muslims/Christians/Roman Catholics etc. think...' and then you have your back completely covered.

In summary, it's an exam on exam skills.
I got an A* in RS some years ago. I don't think I chose the right GCSE's but it doesn't really matter that much tbh. Most people go on to do A levels and they usually just want good grades in Maths n Eng
Reply 12
I did RS short course, which is equivalent to half a GCSE. The exam mostly involved just memorising lots of facts, e.g. the Christian and Islam view on abortion/marriage/euthanasia etc. It was quite easy and I got an A* although the subject felt a bit pointless and I did it because the school made us study it.

Pedro94
Well i had 4 choices to choose for gcse and i chose RS as one of them.

What subjects are considering doing if you don't do RS?
Reply 13
It was compulsory for me. Pretty easy, especially since I completely BS'd something about Muslim prayer on the Islam paper and still got A* for that section.

If you were looking to do an RS AS level, you might do it, but then again, nothing I learnt at GCSE was used by me in my AS study/exam. ^^
In our school RS is compulsary and it's pretty easy we only have 1 lesson every two weeks, we've just done a proper exam in our 'end of year 10 exams' and most people did really well even without revising properly.
as long as you have the standard three - maths english and the sciences, it REALLY doesn't matter what you pick.
Just did my GCSE in RS and I'd say it depends on whether you want to take it further (i.e. to AS.) Like someone above said, sometimes it is very ineresting, i remmber our lessons on euthanasia were really good and made me really think. I did the full course and I studied Islam, it wasn't what you'd call 'hard' though. So to sum up, take RS if you want a relatively easy subject which you are almost guranteed a good grade in or if you genuinely are interested and want to continue it to A-level. I noticed you don't have History/Geography, my reocmmendation would be to take one of those if you can as they're generally considered better by most sixth forms/colleges.

Hope I helped!
Reply 17
I did short course RS and it was really easy.. not sure if its anything like the full course. I got an A* with no problemos
I did full course.
First half easy.
For the second half I read 49 bible stories.
So it completely depends on your course.

But I agree with everyone else. Overall it's really easy.
Reply 19
I had to do it - was core for my year. It was awful, true: if you want to get an A/B, you probably will if you revise hard, but there's A LOT of content to revise. Only a few people got A* (like most people on TSR). However, if you actually enjoy it, you will do fine :smile: (bearing in mind you only study Christianity and one other religion - usually Islam, not fun buddahs like in earlier years).

Latest