The Student Room Group

what GCSEs/A-LEVELs needed for Architecture ??!!

Hi, I'm year 9 student//
and I'm doing :

Eng
Eng lit
maths (IGCSE, FSMQ)
graphics
religious studies
geography
French
Biology
Chemistry
Physics

next year..

I don't wish to do art// is that okay ??
Also, is Art mandatory to do Architecture in uni ??
I'm doing graphics though///

but for AS/ A2,,, i haven't thought about it (I'm in year 9 !!)
but i wanna do

Maths
Further Maths
Physics
Chemistry or Photography///
(these might change of course ~!!)

no art......
Do you think it's going to be okay ??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I heard that Art is very well regarded when applying for architecture... "Do A-Level Art. Its a must for the top places!"
maths, physics are also good

maths
art
physics
+one more hard subject i.e. another science, further maths, history/geography, or an essay based subject like english or a language etc.
Art, Physics, Maths, English?
zactissue
Hi, I'm year 9 student//
and I'm doing :

Eng
Eng lit
maths (IGCSE, FSMQ)
graphics
religious studies
geography
French
Biology
Chemistry
Physics

next year..

I don't wish to do art// is that okay ??
Also, is Art mandatory to do Architecture in uni ??
I'm doing graphics though///

but for AS/ A2,,, i haven't thought about it (I'm in year 9 !!)
but i wanna do

Maths
Further Maths
Physics
Chemistry or Photography///
(these might change of course ~!!)

no art......

Maths and Physics are good. Further Maths I doubt is necessary (that much Maths is useful for other subjects tbh, not Architecture). But Maths is probably essential to A Level.

Art provides good preparation, but you don't *need* it. It would place you in a better position to get offers though and gain the required skills. A bit like Economics is not *needed* for an Economics degree, in a similar way.

I'd change Chemistry or Further Maths to DT, Graphics, Art etc. You don't want a combination of ALL science subjects. A mixture of science and arts subjects is ideal.

A good combination is Maths, Physics, Art, History (drop after AS Level). Then perhaps decide on taking AS Further Maths as well?
Reply 4
sil3nt_cha0s
Maths and Physics are good. Further Maths I doubt is necessary (that much Maths is useful for other subjects tbh, not Architecture). But Maths is probably essential to A Level.

Art provides good preparation, but you don't *need* it. It would place you in a better position to get offers though and gain the required skills. A bit like Economics is not *needed* for an Economics degree, in a similar way.

I'd change Chemistry or Further Maths to DT, Graphics, Art etc. You don't want a combination of ALL science subjects. A mixture of science and arts subjects is ideal.

A good combination is Maths, Physics, Art, History (drop after AS Level). Then perhaps decide on taking AS Further Maths as well?

Do you think that,,,, instead of Art, .... graphics would be okay then ??
Reply 5
Maths
Further Maths- Not necessary though
Physics
Graphics

Perhaps Graphics as it could fit well with the combination above. However instead of Further Maths you could substitute that for English Literature or Chemistry perhaps?:smile:
You're in Year Nine. Really don't worry about it. I'd imagine Maths and sciences are good. Do some google searches if you want for entry requirements. It told me that UCL want ABB and Art A Level. Just try your best with GCSEs and try and get as many As and A*s as you can.

I think Art would be a good idea at A Level. Art at GCSE it's not necessary to go on and do art a level I think.

Really don't think about it. You're waaay too young to. You'll probs change your mind 100 times in the next 4 years before you start uni.
Reply 7
Hibz123
Maths
Further Maths- Not necessary though
Physics
Graphics

Perhaps Graphics as it could fit well with the combination above. However instead of Further Maths you could substitute that for English Literature or Chemistry perhaps?:smile:

but why would i need English Lit ?? can anyone explain to me ???
zactissue
Do you think that,,,, instead of Art, .... graphics would be okay then ??

Yeah, Graphics is ok. So Math, Physics, Graphics, History (drop after AS Level) and AS Further Maths.

Graphics would give you a slight competitive disadvantage, but the AS Further Maths would make up for it (in a way).

I say AS Further Maths because it provides you with opportunity to do some extra Mechanics modules in Maths (when you get to A Level, there are four areas of Maths - pure, stats, mechanics, decision). Mechanics and pure are most useful for Architecture. You could do three mechanics modules that way :smile: But only AS FM because then you're not swamped with a load of pointless Maths.
Reply 9
zactissue

You dont need it but it shows a good contrast between your other subjects. Also English Literature shows off your essay based skills. Look at the prospectus and have a look at what each course entails. I was just giving you an example of an A-level you could pick:yes:
zactissue

Essay based subjects are pretty much an unwritten requirement on most courses. You need to be able to write at length for any decent course so it just makes the transition (A-level --> Uni) that tiny bit easier.
hazzypants
You're in Year Nine. Really don't worry about it. I'd imagine Maths and sciences are good. Do some google searches if you want for entry requirements. It told me that UCL want ABB and Art A Level. Just try your best with GCSEs and try and get as many As and A*s as you can.

I think Art would be a good idea at A Level. Art at GCSE it's not necessary to go on and do art a level I think.

Really don't think about it. You're waaay too young to. You'll probs change your mind 100 times in the next 4 years before you start uni.

He's right you know.

I was considering Languages at Year 9, then changed to Biology/Chemistry in Year 10, then to Chemistry in Year 11, then finally settled on Economics in Year 12. You're bound to change your mind/have doubts in the future.
Reply 12
Hibz123
You dont need it but it shows a good contrast between your other subjects. Also English Literature shows off your essay based skills. Look at the prospectus and have a look at what each course entails. I was just giving you an example of an A-level you could pick:yes:

thank you !!~~
Reply 13
My boyfriend has just got accepted to do architecture at kent and he did Physics at A/s level, and maths, business studies and resistant materials for A2. So you don't have to do art but some drawing based subject (like graphics) would be useful!!!
Reply 14
zactissue
thank you !!~~

No problem:smile:
Reply 15
sil3nt_cha0s
Yeah, Graphics is ok. So Math, Physics, Graphics, History (drop after AS Level) and AS Further Maths.

Graphics would give you a slight competitive disadvantage, but the AS Further Maths would make up for it (in a way).

I say AS Further Maths because it provides you with opportunity to do some extra Mechanics modules in Maths (when you get to A Level, there are four areas of Maths - pure, stats, mechanics, decision). Mechanics and pure are most useful for Architecture. You could do three mechanics modules that way :smile:

zactissue

I bet you don't know wtf I'm talking about :wink: lol
Reply 17
koko91
My boyfriend has just got accepted to do architecture at kent and he did Physics at A/s level, and maths, business studies and resistant materials for A2. So you don't have to do art but some drawing based subject (like graphics) would be useful!!!

real life example... thanks :biggrin:
Reply 18
zactissue
Hi, I'm year 9 student//
no art......

I would do gcse art if i were you, just to pick up the drawing skills as obviously it is important to be able to draw for architecture.
Those A levels would be fine - my brothers doing architecture (he did gcse art) with A levels in IT, maths, physics and biology.
Reply 19
Hey

Basically it all depends on what university you want to apply to. For instance, some reputable universities such as; cambridge and UCL, really insinst on taking art at a-level however the alternative universities such as; bath, insist of more mechanical subjects like maths and/or physics.

If you want to apply to a more ''arty'' university then you will most definitely need art because they want someone with unique ideas and obviously a good hand to draw.

I am applying to UCL and my subjects are; art, biology, eng lit and politics.

Mind you I passed maths and physics at GCSE

Latest