The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Only if you've got disabled parents I think...
Reply 21
You can do what you like on private roads, but if you want to use public roads it's 17 I'm afraid.
only if your jewish
subterfuge
if you're only driving on private land then yes you can start learning, though i doubt very much that that would enable you to pass on your 17th cause there'd still be so much to learn about driving with other cars, junctions etc.

I know someone that did :wink:

BigDave56
You can get a provisional licence at 16 but it's only valid for mopeds unless you are disabled, otherwise valid from 17. You can drive off road but pointless as you would not have road user experience. You would not get insurance until you are 17 either. Don't forget that you also need to have passed your theory before you can apply for your test.

Nonsense. Firstly, you don't need insurance to drive on private land. Secondly, there can be vast benefits to learning before you are 17. Again, I would like to mention the Under 17 Car Club and show you these figures for members.....:
If you decide to use a school that offers lessons on a private track and not a public highway, it can be quite expensive. I looked into it (though this was a few years ago now), and quickly changed my mind when I saw my local place had a horrific hourly rate, easily another 50% on top of 'normal' 17+ lessons.

It all depends on how much you want to start driving I guess. I obviously wasn't that keen cos I changed my mind, but for some, it's a cost-effective option. Just google 'driving lessons 16' and the name of your area and see what comes up. My friend had a few lessons for his 16th birthday with one, they'd set up a track with similar conditions to a quiet street, and he really enjoyed it and passed very soon after his 17th birthday.

Of course, as others have said, if you have your access to land where the landowner gives you permission, get yer mum or dad to teach you. Be prepared for heated arguments. Ahem.
Reply 25
Elementric
I know someone that did :wink:

Nonsense. Firstly, you don't need insurance to drive on private land. Secondly, there can be vast benefits to learning before you are 17. Again, I would like to mention the Under 17 Car Club and show you these figures for members.....:

You misunderstood me. You need insurance to drive on the public road. You should also bear in mind the insurance aspect if you are driving your own/parents' car when on private property. Could be expensive if you do have a prang. Obviously you would expect to be insured on company policy if driving with company set up specifically for under 17s. Hope this clarifies.
BigDave56
You misunderstood me. You need insurance to drive on the public road. You should also bear in mind the insurance aspect if you are driving your own/parents' car when on private property. Could be expensive if you do have a prang. Obviously you would expect to be insured on company policy if driving with company set up specifically for under 17s. Hope this clarifies.

No you wouldn't; it's totally uninsured. people don't crash. :p:
You can apply for your provisional at 16 and some driving schools offer off-road driving lessons before your 17th. However, you wouldn't be able to take and pass your test on your 17th as they would only teach you how to operate the gears, steering etc, not roadcraft which arguably the more complicated bit.

If you're in a rush there are 1 week crash courses, so you could pass pretty soon after your birthday if you tried.
xmarilynx
You can apply for your provisional at 16 and some driving schools offer off-road driving lessons before your 17th. However, you wouldn't be able to take and pass your test on your 17th as they would only teach you how to operate the gears, steering etc, not roadcraft which arguably the more complicated bit.

If you're in a rush there are 1 week crash courses, so you could pass pretty soon after your birthday if you tried.

Yet again, this is rubbish. Read up the thread for details....
BigDave56
This is because your adrenalin is pumping round. Therefore for safety reasons.

insurance reasons
Reply 30
Elementric
No you wouldn't; it's totally uninsured. people don't crash. :p:

lol
Reply 31
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
insurance reasons

Interesting. Not what my policy indicated anywhere. My driving instructor (policeman) told me it was for my aforementioned reason.
BigDave56
lol

What's funny?
BigDave56
Interesting. Not what my policy indicated anywhere. My driving instructor (policeman) told me it was for my aforementioned reason.

Your policy?
Reply 34
A driving school near me do driving lessons for 16 year olds on private land because you don't need a provisional on privately owned land. Also my friends mum has lupus and he got his provisional at 16, i think its 'cause he was down as her carer.
You can drive and even pass your test when your 16 in the Isle of Man
Reply 36
there are driving schools which offer lessons to 16 year olds on private land yes but not on roads so you would still have to do a few lessons on the road before you test :smile:
Reply 37
Your policy?

Yes, my policy
BigDave56
Yes, my policy

and what is your policy....
Reply 39
and what is your policy....

Fully comp for my car. Had it since my 17th birthday. Direct Line. Started as a prov licence holder and then onto full licence when I passed. Got reduction for 2nd year for doing my Pass Plus.

Latest

Trending

Trending