The Student Room Group

The More Highly Regarded A-Level

Philosophy or Psychology? Which would be more respected by Oxbridge (and similar) when applying for admission to a Law degree?

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Philosophy - it's one of the hardest A-levels.
philospohy, psychology is for retards
Reply 3
I did psychology at A-level and loved it, and Im starting a law degree in september!
Reply 4
Either, to be frank. Philosophy's probably regarded as more 'traditional' but, according to my girlfriend [who does both], they're similar in difficulty and the type of stuff you have to do. Don't worry about 'what Oxbridge want' though, for God's sake, do what you're interested in. If its any consolation Cambridge based my offer on Psychology (and not French, which is a more 'respected' subject supposedly).
Philosophy probably but do what you want to do - an A in psychology > a B in philosophy for example. :smile:
Reply 6
Philosophy, without a doubt. When we had the options talks at my school, we were told that A level philosophy was very challenging and the academic standard was more first year university level than A level.

A level psychology wasn't offered at my school as the Head considered it a soft A level - which I wouldn't necessarily agree with - but perhaps gives a clue as to how it is perceived by some.
Philosophy + for Law:

*History
*English Lit
Classics
Language

Also good for Law degree particulary the ones with *
Reply 8
I thought psychology was a blacklisted subject when it came to Oxbridge/LSE?

Well I'd go with philosophy either way.
Reply 9
xSkyFire

No - it's not on the published soft list but I agree about going with philosophy.
Reply 10
im so academic
Philosophy + for Law:

*History
*English Lit
Classics
Language

Also good for Law degree particulary the ones with *

I'm doing History and Eng Lit:biggrin:
I was told by someone a MFL was essential for some universities to study Law. True?
Also, what about Economics?
Reply 11
xSkyFire

Trinity College, Cambridge, lists Psychology as 'of limited suitability'. In other words they don't look up to it, but they don't look down so much on it either.
I expect I'm horribly biased, but from Psychology students I've spoken to, Psychology A level seems to be mostly as case of memorising endless "case studies" and then churning them out in the exam (appologies to psychology students who enjoy their course). Philosophy is really interesting and thought provoking - If I had to choose again I know which one I would go for.
Reply 13
Xerophelistica
I expect I'm horribly biased, but from Psychology students I've spoken to, Psychology A level seems to be mostly as case of memorising endless "case studies" and then churning them out in the exam (appologies to psychology students who enjoy their course).

That's probably in part very true, there is a lot of studies you need to know to reference. A lot of it, though, is very scientifically/biologically based, I think its a common misconception that Psychology is basically about reading body language when in actual fact, its not.
jrt10
I'm doing History and Eng Lit:biggrin:
I was told by someone a MFL was essential for some universities to study Law. True?
Also, what about Economics?

Excellent! :biggrin: No problems at all?

Umm, it depends on the Law course, e.g. if you're spending a year in an another country, e.g. France, Germany. I would presume if one is studying Law with a year abroad, then yeah, an MFL would be essential. But NOT just "Law".

So, because you're not doing Law with a year abroad, you don't need an MFL, however it would look good regardless of what type of Law you're aiming for.

Economics! That's the one. Yes, well respected etc etc. Take it if you can.

Also, read around Law. Quite "essential" for top unis.
Either! They both have very good justification. Let's do a talley battle because I'm sad and it's a wet Monday afternoon...

Psychology vs. Philosophy

Psychology has the essay-writing element
Philosophy has the essay-writing element

1-1

Psychology is allegedly looked down upon
Philosophy is allegedly respected

1-2

Psychology can be applied to some cases I guess, and allows you to look at behaviour and interaction and explain it psychologically. Murder motives?
Philosophy can be applied so soem cases, like the ethics side of things.

2-3

Psychology is relatively difficult
Philosophy is relatively difficult

2-3

Psychology is a relatively modern subject compared to Philosophy, you might find it more relevant to today's developing society and science.
Philosophy is quite an ancient subject, some of it you might not find particularly relevant to today, apart form things like ethics and politcal philosophy.

3-3

Hmm....I think any really!
Reply 16
Philosophy I would presume.
Reply 17
Heir-Head
That's probably in part very true, there is a lot of studies you need to know to reference. A lot of it, though, is very scientifically/biologically based, I think its a common misconception that Psychology is basically about reading body language when in actual fact, its not.

Quite true according to a lot of people I have spoken to. Philosophy is probably more well-suited to me.
Reply 18
AnthonyShock
Either! They both have very good justification. Let's do a talley battle because I'm sad and it's a wet Monday afternoon...

Psychology vs. Philosophy

Psychology has the essay-writing element
Philosophy has the essay-writing element

1-1

Psychology is allegedly looked down upon
Philosophy is allegedly respected

1-2

Psychology can be applied to some cases I guess, and allows you to look at behaviour and interaction and explain it psychologically. Murder motives?
Philosophy can be applied so soem cases, like the ethics side of things.

2-3

Psychology is relatively difficult
Philosophy is relatively difficult

2-3

Psychology is a relatively modern subject compared to Philosophy, you might find it more relevant to today's developing society and science.
Philosophy is quite an ancient subject, some of it you might not find particularly relevant to today, apart form things like ethics and politcal philosophy.

3-3

Hmm....I think any really!

1) Philosophy is rather more essay-based, particularly at AS.

2) Yes, Philosophy is generally far more respected.

3) As has been said Psychology is basically an easier rendition of Biology, and isn't just reading behaviour. So not so much more relevant to the modern day life.

4) Universities such as Oxford, Cambridge, UCL, and LSE prefer to see the older subjects. And Philosophy probably compliments English Literature and History better.
OrmondDrone
Philosophy - it's one of the hardest A-levels.

Nonsense. More difficult than Maths, Chemistry, Biology, Physics, English, History and the Modern Foreign Languages? Are you having a laugh?

To answer the original question, out of the two I think Philosophy is probably more highly regarded by the top universities.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending