The Student Room Group

deloitte internship

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
rumi_888
Hi again. I haven't replied to the e-mail yet. The thing is that I am working in the week till 6.00 and I was wondering if it is possible to schedule my interview for next Monday for example. I hope they won't consider I am not interested as I am asking for so late date.

Now, why would that NOT be fine? You indicate that you're interested as you reply to the email, which you should do sooner rather than later. It's not like there's a word limit on the email, so if you want to explain that you have work, I highly doubt that will count against you. I've currently been postponing a test because I'm on holiday, which is a far more frivolous pursuit, and I have to say, the various people I have emailed have been consistently courteous and eager to make mutually convenient arrangements. It's not in their interests to disengage with an applicant for such a silly reason.

Also, people with telephone interviews, did you apply for consulting? So far, there seems to be a correlation between consulting and having a communication skills telephone interview. I had one, and am British and speak English as a native language. But of course, they may do telephone interviews for numerous reasons. But they do specify that the consulting procedure is different to the others in a few ways anyway.
Reply 61
vix_245
It was two questions per competency...
1) Communication and social interaction
2) Planning and organising
3) Goal orientation
4) Intellect, analysis and judgement
5) Challenge, change and self control
6) Career motivation and sector awareness

These are the actual competencies, the website only has a few.
We got told not to use the same example more than twice...just try and think of more examples. Exaggeration can work in small doses haha

Joy. Thanks very much for that!
vix_245
3) Goal orientation

We got told not to use the same example more than twice...just try and think of more examples. Exaggeration can work in small doses haha

so these are all deloittes compentency questions?
anyone appyling to other accounting firms?

also i wanted to know how much experience u guys have in accounting, the reason i havent even submitted mine is that i have no previous accounting experience?
Reply 64
I just did my first telephone interview (which I think was mainly because of me being foreign):

They call you up and start asking you questions about the following things:
1) Give an example of a presentation you have done and what was your role in it
2) What is your understanding of Deloitte's services
3) Why do you want to work for Deloitte
4) What is your understanding of the program that you are applying to
Reply 65
this is for second year people only?
Reply 66
wilma flintstone
anyone appyling to other accounting firms?

also i wanted to know how much experience u guys have in accounting, the reason i havent even submitted mine is that i have no previous accounting experience?

I have no experience that's particularly relevant. Seriously. Better to submit it early, before everyone else, unless you're planning on getting experience in the next little while.

Thanks for the competencies, Vix! Will no doubt come in handy.
I've got a phone interview, and I'm a British applicant applying for the services internship.
teriaki
I just did my first telephone interview (which I think was mainly because of me being foreign):

They call you up and start asking you questions about the following things:
1) Give an example of a presentation you have done and what was your role in it
2) What is your understanding of Deloitte's services
3) Why do you want to work for Deloitte
4) What is your understanding of the program that you are applying to

Did they ask you any other questions? Like any other competency questions or commercial awareness ones?
Reply 69
is this onlyyy for people at uni? Can gap year people apply for the summer internship?
Ongels
I have no experience that's particularly relevant. Seriously. Better to submit it early, before everyone else, unless you're planning on getting experience in the next little while.

i no
thats my concern im trying hard to get some cos i dont feel my application is very relevant to accounting (audit & tax) ive had no exp. its the last question that i cant really answer giving 3 examples of relevant and recent work exp

:frown:
has anyone else got offers yet or had the assestment day?
Reply 72
prospectivEEconomist
Did they ask you any other questions? Like any other competency questions or commercial awareness ones?

No, the only remotely competency based question was that about a presentation that I had done but that was it. Everything else was just regurgitating the info you find on Deloitte's website.
Reply 73
vix_245
Yea it is for second years at uni. There may be other programmes you can apply to (scholar scheme) but the summer internship is second years

yeye but what Im saying is that if I have a special circumstance, can I (as a gap year person) apply for the summer placement - its the same process, and the same work!
Reply 74
Hey everyone, I've just been given my date for the assessment day for SVS 2010 at Birmingham! It's the 23rd september, just 6 days after my PwC assessment day! I'm so not prepared yet! Anyone else applied to the Birmingham office?
Reply 75
vix_245
3) Goal orientation

Clarification on this - when you say 2 questions, do you mean you needed to demonstrate two separate occasions you'd shown the competency, or that they asked two questions on the one example? Thanks :smile:
Reply 76
Thanks Vix!

HURRAH! Have my invite to the first interview. How exciting! They say they'll be in contact next week. Tommy, have you heard from them yet?
Reply 77
Ongels
Thanks Vix!

HURRAH! Have my invite to the first interview. How exciting! They say they'll be in contact next week. Tommy, have you heard from them yet?

Nothing today, he said I'd hear by Wednesday via email. Lovely man.
wilma flintstone
hey did anyone do the deloitte summer internship last year?
if so what work did you do?

Try ididinternabroad.com they have fab summer 2010 internships avail :smile: x
Reply 79
I did it too- Proffesh Services Rotation in Birmingham...would have gone to London but it filled up REALLY fast. If you have a specific question- quote me or PM me :smile:.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending