The Student Room Group
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Awesome! I shall indeed, thanks :smile: - it'll be cassie langford inviting you - and we're both from Gloucester too! :biggrin: how strange is that? x x
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website
Reply 41
Hey everyone!

I'm a second year student and i'l be in Victoria Halls this year, a delux room, although they won't tell me which one until I move in! Oh well.

Anyone else in Victoria this year?

I was in Grosvenor House last year, so I'm here to answer any questions on that hall if needed :biggrin:
Reply 42
Hey, i've had my halls through now i'm in VH-G-3! Anyone else in victoria halls?

Lucy x
Reply 43
Loving Victoria Hall-ian people :biggrin:

Anyone in Block E? Block E anyone? Haha!

Does anyone know how many flats are on each floor in VH as mine says: VH-E-18-4 and I'm taking a "wild" guess that VH doesn't have 18 floors (though it would be awesome if it did ... except if the lift broke, then it would be bad - very bad!)

But yay! It feels really strange as I'll be a year older than most students this year, but I'm short so no-one can tell (both a curse and a blessing but I'll just go with: :biggrin:)

x x
Reply 44
Hey cass, well victoria halls is a pretty high building so it may well be 18 floors imagine if the lift broke when moving in that would be a nightmare lol

Anyway I'm going to be 20 so I'll be an oldie as well lol took a gap year hopefully 2 years won't make a difference! What are you studying? So glad I came on here hadn't seen anyone who'd applied for victoria halls on you go further, there loads of people with victoria halls here :smile:

x x
Reply 45
Heya Lucy *high five* to us oldies! :biggrin: - If I was in the lift - we'd have a fun old time on the way down! But if it was 18 floors, imagine getting the stuff upstairs if the lift was broke!!

I'm doing Speech and Language Therapy, (woop!) how about you?

I saw this forum ages ago and thought about joining, but it's a great way to meet people without the awkwardness, cause I mean things like Facebook is alright, but it's more of a one-to-one thing, whilst here, it's all lovely and stuff :smile: x x
Reply 46
cass_27
Loving Victoria Hall-ian people :biggrin:

Anyone in Block E? Block E anyone? Haha!

Does anyone know how many flats are on each floor in VH as mine says: VH-E-18-4 and I'm taking a "wild" guess that VH doesn't have 18 floors (though it would be awesome if it did ... except if the lift broke, then it would be bad - very bad!)

But yay! It feels really strange as I'll be a year older than most students this year, but I'm short so no-one can tell (both a curse and a blessing but I'll just go with: :biggrin:)

x x

My friend lived in Victoria Halls last year and from what I remember this mean Block E, Flat 18, Room 4. But don't hold me too that! Haha

I wish they would tell us 2nd years our flats :frown: All I know is that i'm in a delux.
Reply 47
Thanks, I think it does mean that :smile: But just not sure what floor Flat 18 is on, but hopefully quite high up

Ooh a deluxe eh? Anything along those lines sounds nice :biggrin:
Reply 48
Any one at Newarke Point or doing business and marketing????
Reply 49
Mohit B
Any one at Newarke Point or doing business and marketing????

am at newarke point..yay

am doing ICT though

ive only found ONE other person doing that course mind you lol
I feel sorry for anyone living in Victoria halls. i really do...

im a second year student that lived there for 08-09. In flat F2.
let me start with the list of reasons why...

firstly some rooms are bigger than others. I paid for a single room that was bigger than all the other single rooms and had more walking space than the deluxe room in the same flat!

secondly Victoria halls are money halls bast**ds!!! i tell you! They give you "200£" for electricity for the year but what they dont tell you is IF who happen to be away for the month you'd think atleast ill save electricity... loool nope! Its all combined so your flat mates can leave every appliance running and YOU'LL PAY!

thirdly. after that money runs out.. and it will before your contract ends you'll probably end up paying about 30-50£ a month out of your own pocket for electricity.. even if you move out early. yep! read that again if you want to.

Fourth. laundry not expensive.. about 1.5£ per wash and dry but you have to pay a fuve pound deposit before you can use the machines.

Fifth. If you are making to much noise and someone complains the caretaker will come to your flat tell you to turn it down and you WILL recieve a 15£ fine the next day. there are no warnings.

loool oh yeeeeah. If you fail a flat inspection which they are very diligent with (every month) you will have untill 1030 the next day to sort it out... not sorted out by then. You pay 10 an hour for cleaners to do it. If you've done it by the time the cleaners arrive.. still pay 10£.

NEWALKE POINT and BENJIMAN RUSSELL are the best places to stay but they dont tell you about BR for some reason.. and BR isnt en-suite.
Reply 51
Hmm, some of it is common sense like noise levels and flat inspections, but the electricity thing?! How many people did you share your flat with? (out of curiousity)

Newarke Point is highly acclaimed but you can't pay by debit there I think, so it's screwed a lot of people over when it comes to paying the £200 damage deposit, so then all the halls have their pros and cons but we've still got to live there at the end of the day :smile:
Reply 52
cass_27
Hmm, some of it is common sense like noise levels and flat inspections, but the electricity thing?! How many people did you share your flat with? (out of curiousity)

Newarke Point is highly acclaimed but you can't pay by debit there I think, so it's screwed a lot of people over when it comes to paying the £200 damage deposit, so then all the halls have their pros and cons but we've still got to live there at the end of the day :smile:

yeah im at newarke (hopefully) and i had to pay everything by cheque.. even the first installment.. their logic is that its only a one off payment so they'd rather have it as a cheque then a direct debit.. ergh lol.
Reply 53
Yusuf.T
yeah im at newarke (hopefully) and i had to pay everything by cheque.. even the first installment.. their logic is that its only a one off payment so they'd rather have it as a cheque then a direct debit.. ergh lol.

Yet I'm pretty sure that they said on the DMU website about not paying it all at once. Plus people are getting screwed over anyway because they have to pay all this before their loan comes through (thanking god that I don't need one ..) So some people are getting doubly screwed!! Lol! At least we all know it'll be worth it by the time we get to DMU :biggrin:
cass_27

you'd be very suprised what they decide to pick up with the flat inspections. A funny thing happened to my mate. He failed his flat inspection coz of his bathroom. He didnt touch the bathroom before they came back. When they did come back they passed him. Her words were "much much better" :confused: . i was rolling with laughter!

i stayed with 5 people so when we got the electricity bill it initially said 1000£ (5x200). When it runs out they invoice you how much you owe, which was split 5 ways.

oh btw VH doeant have 18 floors.. the highest section looks about maybe 9/10 floors. but the lifts do seem to break down quite often in SOME blocks
Reply 55
cass_27
Yet I'm pretty sure that they said on the DMU website about not paying it all at once. Plus people are getting screwed over anyway because they have to pay all this before their loan comes through (thanking god that I don't need one ..) So some people are getting doubly screwed!! Lol! At least we all know it'll be worth it by the time we get to DMU :biggrin:

yeah i knew the costs of everything and i said to myself that i WILL get the money in time.. i did major overtime for months.. saved up and just the other day gave that £1377 or whatever first installment they wanted.

they said that we dont get the deposit back in full.. we get a part of it at the end of the contract year if we havent damaged anything psssh!!
Reply 56
where are all the new wharf students?!!! there must be some out there?!! lol!!
i havent found a single person in block B there yet!!!!
where are you all hiding?!?!?
Reply 57
Han265
where are all the new wharf students?!!! there must be some out there?!! lol!!
i havent found a single person in block B there yet!!!!
where are you all hiding?!?!?

theres a lot of them on the facebook group.
Reply 58
Yusuf.T
theres a lot of them on the facebook group.

which facebook group are you in? im in about 4 different ones and NOONE is in my block! :eek: keep wondering what kind of people im going to be with!!!
would be great to find some!!!
Reply 59
Han265
which facebook group are you in? im in about 4 different ones and NOONE is in my block! :eek: keep wondering what kind of people im going to be with!!!
would be great to find some!!!

lol im on the DMU freshers group

theres loadsa topics, one of them being halls.. everyone has posted their address and what not..i saw a lot of L.Parks last i checked.

Latest

Trending

Trending