The Student Room Group

Leaving School

I've just finished 5th year and have decided to leave. I've been thinking about it alot and i wouldn't be happy going back to school. I also have been offered a full time job in August.

Not to blow my own trumpet, but i try hard at school. I got all 1's in my standard grades and before i knew it the school had forced me into taking five highers which i have been predicted in A's for all of them. At my school, when you achieve these kinds of marks you are told that you should go to uni and if you leave before 6th year it's a waste of time.

The thing is, i've never been into science or maths or business - i just learned it to pass my exams. I want to do make-up artistry at college but i haven't told anyone because i feel like everyone will look down on me :frown:
I know it sounds really stupid but i'm seriously the only person doing this & i've heard alot of girls in my year calling people who do beauty therapy, hairdressing etc. at college "stupid" but i know i'm not.

I wish people and teachers at my school would realise that not all of the people who achieve good grades want to go to university. Can anyone offer me any helpful advice?

Sorry for the rant just had to talk to some people who weren't bias :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Do what makes YOU happy, you'll never feel satisfied if you do things you don't like just to please people.
Reply 2
I know what you mean!

I have a big interest in beauty but was advised not to go for this.. I also have an interest in English, Business, Psychology and Human Biology so doing A levels in these makes sense to me...

You could tell your parents? My mum has always told me to study what interests me and keeps my options open..

Goodluck !
You should do what you want to do, not what is expected of you by others. If you want to do make-up artistry you should do it. However, it would be a shame to waste your academic potential. What if you started a college course in September and also applied for a course that interests you at uni, that way you can see if you like make-up artistry before you fully commit to it. After all it is good to have something to fall back on.
Reply 4
Thats true, bex285 - i just hate the feeling of disappointment i should probably get used to it though for later in life :smile:

Cupcakee, i really dont understand why we're advised against it! There's some make-up artists etc. out there making a good living for themselves! Thanks :smile: Good luck to you too!
Reply 5
Thats a good idea, moonshine ! Sadly i haven't really seen any courses in uni that interest me :frown: I've been researching since September of last year and worrying since then cause everyone seemed to see a course on the uni sites that they liked the look of and i didn't!
gracefx
Thats a good idea, moonshine ! Sadly i haven't really seen any courses in uni that interest me :frown: I've been researching since September of last year and worrying since then cause everyone seemed to see a course on the uni sites that they liked the look of and i didn't!

What subjects did you enjoy at school?
To be honest you should just stick at school for the next two years. Try and pick subjects that you will be at least semi-interested in though.

Even if you have your heart-set on doing make-up stuff, you can't really predict how you'll feel in the future and your interests may change. Leaving school at 5th year to me seems like your putting all your eggs in one basket and closing a lot of doors for yourself. Even you if don't plan on going on to Uni or anything, just finishing those 2 years will leave those doors open for you just in case your interests do chance or different circumstances arise.

Two years isn't that much and in my opinion it's worth staying on, getting the good grades and keeping the doors open for yourself, you never know what might happen. You can always just go on to do make-up stuff after those 2 years.
Reply 8
I never really felt the same as everyone else at school they seemed to be really into english and maths whereas i was just learning it for the sake of it :frown: So i didn't really enjoy anything! Not to sound depressing lol!
The only thing i loved was art and with the college course i'd be using it in a way!
gracefx
I never really felt the same as everyone else at school they seemed to be really into english and maths whereas i was just learning it for the sake of it :frown: So i didn't really enjoy anything! Not to sound depressing lol!
The only thing i loved was art and with the college course i'd be using it in a way!

Hmm, that would be a problem as you would need to convey a love for the subject in you UCAS personal statement. I think you should think carefully about the subjects you find interesting and research uni courses. You really don't like any of your subjects?!
Reply 10
You Failed
To be honest you should just stick at school for the next two years. Try and pick subjects that you will be at least semi-interested in though.

Even if you have your heart-set on doing make-up stuff, you can't really predict how you'll feel in the future and your interests may change. Leaving school at 5th year to me seems like your putting all your eggs in one basket and closing a lot of doors for yourself. Even you if don't plan on going on to Uni or anything, just finishing those 2 years will leave those doors open for you just in case your interests do chance or different circumstances arise.

Two years isn't that much and in my opinion it's worth staying on, getting the good grades and keeping the doors open for yourself, you never know what might happen. You can always just go on to do make-up stuff after those 2 years.

Well if i go back i'll only be staying for one year, 6th year. But i've already picked my subjects for that year incase i do go back and there wasn't much choice at my school i opted for psychology among other highers that i'm not really interested in! It's complicated!
Reply 11
moonshine_1991
Hmm, that would be a problem as you would need to convey a love for the subject in you UCAS personal statement. I think you should think carefully about the subjects you find interesting and research uni courses. You really don't like any of your subjects?!

No not at all :frown: I took Higher Maths, Higher English, Higher Art, Higher Modern Studies & Higher Biology this year and the only one i enjoyed was art because you didn't just learn from a book you could be creative! I think that's the difference with me and my friends and people in my class nobody is really interested in art and creative subjects!
gracefx
No not at all :frown: I took Higher Maths, Higher English, Higher Art, Higher Modern Studies & Higher Biology this year and the only one i enjoyed was art because you didn't just learn from a book you could be creative! I think that's the difference with me and my friends and people in my class nobody is really interested in art and creative subjects!

You didn't like Modern Studies at all then? If you did there is loads of courses that are MS related- International Relations; Politics; Law; History uses the same skills. Anyone of those degrees would give you good job prospects in a wide range of careers. If you don't like academic subjects but like art you could do a joint degree with art, or you could do History of Art. Architecture might interest you too.
I think you should talk to your parents about this. You shouldn't feel pressured into doing something you don't want to do, uni isn't for everyone. Have you done any research into make up artistry courses at college?
Reply 14
A lot of people on here think "MUST PASS EXAMS, MUST GO TO UNI OR ILL PHAIL IN LIFE" from what I've observed. It's totally not true. If it makes you happy, and you know you want to go for it, then go for it. You sat your highers anyway, yeah? Do you think you got on well? If you did, atleast you've got your good 5 highers behind you, so you can always apply later for uni.

Seriously, at the end of the day, academia isn't everything. You live once, so do what you want to do. Make-up artists make it pretty good, then you can go into stuff like beauty, hairdressing (sister did that in SVQ, now she's working part time as a hairdresser :biggrin:) and all sorts of different areas.
Reply 15
moonshine_1991
You didn't like Modern Studies at all then? If you did there is loads of courses that are MS related- International Relations; Politics; Law; History uses the same skills. Anyone of those degrees would give you good job prospects in a wide range of careers. If you don't like academic subjects but like art you could do a joint degree with art, or you could do History of Art. Architecture might interest you too.

That's true there is a wide range from what you've shown me i'll have a think about it :smile: Thanks!
Reply 16
cactus kid :)
I think you should talk to your parents about this. You shouldn't feel pressured into doing something you don't want to do, uni isn't for everyone. Have you done any research into make up artistry courses at college?

Well i live with my mum and she said she supports my decision no matter what and she thinks i should just do what makes me happy. Yeah i have and it looks really interesting as you get further along you get to do special effects make-up and other optional units like learning about a retail enviroment etc.
Reply 17
LuhLah
A lot of people on here think "MUST PASS EXAMS, MUST GO TO UNI OR ILL PHAIL IN LIFE" from what I've observed. It's totally not true. If it makes you happy, and you know you want to go for it, then go for it. You sat your highers anyway, yeah? Do you think you got on well? If you did, atleast you've got your good 5 highers behind you, so you can always apply later for uni.

Seriously, at the end of the day, academia isn't everything. You live once, so do what you want to do. Make-up artists make it pretty good, then you can go into stuff like beauty, hairdressing (sister did that in SVQ, now she's working part time as a hairdresser :biggrin:) and all sorts of different areas.

Thanks ! I agree i don't think people who don't go to uni aren't successful it's just what my school seem to keep telling me! I think i've done quite well in them and from what i've seen with the make-up course you only need 1 higher pass preferably art which is the one i am most sure i will pass
It's your future at the end of the day and you must be happy with what you want to do, so go with make-up artistry if your heart's saying too! Also think down the line though with job opportunities and being able to make a good enough living from it - if it didn't work out you would always be able to go to uni with that grades. Oh and at least you have the support from your parents which makes a big difference :smile:

I love art myself and was going to do a fine art degree but the lack of employment put me off but i was lucky to have another favourite subject which I'm off to study now :biggrin:
Reply 19
At least get some highers under your belt.

Latest

Trending

Trending