Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Favourite Christian song...

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iago)
    What the hell are you talking about you crazy person?

1) Most Christian music today is non-profit. We're not just talking about bands like Creed here, man. Everyone knows they suck, it's not news, and no-one's quoting them as their favourite Christian music.

2) Being a Christian band will not help your sales. Christianity is not cool in the world of entertainment. Especcially not in the world of popular music. How many big bands today are properly Christian (beyond wearing a cricifix and the odd reference)?. Next to none. And those that do work religion into their music are usually very subtle, which doesn't fit your theory. Because it doesn't make money, and thus the industry is not really interested. If it made money, every big artist would be singin' about worshipping the Lord. But this is not the case. The most profitable music continues to be about sex. Because sex sells. Hardly Christian music.

3) You're making baseless assumptions about the motivations of Christian artists (they're in it for the money!). How does that the fact that you are a 'musician' give you such special insight? I'm in a band, but I haven't yet gained this special mass-mind-reading ability. I guess I need to be in 'several' bands at once to harness this special power.

4) Why are we even talking about bands and sales and stuff anyway? Read the thread. See how many hymns are quoted. See how many pieces of classical music. Do you appreciate Handel and Mozart, being the 'musician' that you are? Or did they just sell out for the no.1 spot in your opinion? You should realise as a musician how much Christianity as a religion has shaped and influenced the development of (Western) music throughout history. Huge swarths of classical music from numerous preiods are infused with Christian ideals. And its not as if modern music has nothing to thank classical music for...

Be an atheist if you want, I'm pretty much one too...but don't even try to tell me that The Hallelujah Chorus (my fave Christian piece) was inspired by anything other than Handel's wonder and jubilation at what he saw to be God's magnificent creation.

It most obviously is.

Oh please. Spare me the childish rhetoric. I can buy whatever music I like the sound of, and I can assure you that I will. I'm an atheist, and for your information have never set out to buy 'Christian music' in my life...but if I think, along with a great many people, that the Hallelujah Chorus is a masterpiece, then I will buy it, whether the artist's beliefs conform exactly to my worldview or not. And the same goes for any contemporary Christian rock band (though I don't think I've got any overtly Christian contemporary music in my collection)
    lmao - a little passionate about this? I got bored of reading. Can you cut it down to your more important points for me?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    OK: You're totally wrong.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iago)
    OK: You're totally wrong.
    Well, Cambridge has certainly taught you the art of summarising concisely! I only just realised that it was you who had PMed me on Audioscrobbler by the way. I thought it was a stranger from the depths of the internet.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I second Iago on most of the points. There are groups like U2, Sixpence None the Richer, Creed etc claiming some Christian connections... though I have noticed that they (with the exception of sixpence) don't want to elaborate more. And Christian music doesn't sell at all- it's just Christians who buy them & with apparently far less than 10% (don't quote me on this) in UK going to church, Christian music doesn't make any profit.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by englishstudent)
    Well, Cambridge has certainly taught you the art of summarising concisely! I only just realised that it was you who had PMed me on Audioscrobbler by the way. I thought it was a stranger from the depths of the internet.
    haha
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Is 'we wish you a merry christmas' a christian song?
    Web did that in our school production of 'a christmas carol'.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ayaan)
    Is 'we wish you a merry christmas' a christian song?
    Web did that in our school production of 'a christmas carol'.
    I bet your favourite Islamic song, ayaan, is this one:

"Throw the Jew down the well!"
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sigh...
    Didn't i already tell you about this? Stop insinuating I hate Jews for no reason!
    What have I ever said to imply that I do? Get over it.

EDIT: and that's not a song.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ayaan)
    Sigh...
    Didn't i already tell you about this? Stop insinuating I hate Jews for no reason!
    What have I ever said to imply that I do? Get over it.
    Nice bit of word games. You'd make an excellent politician.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Watcher)
    Nice bit of word games. You'd make an excellent politician.
    Okay looking back that was actually incredably badly worded.

I've given you no reason to think that I hate Jewish people, why do you then assume that I do?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ayaan)
    Okay looking back that was actually incredably badly worded.

I've given you no reason to think that I hate Jewish people, why do you then assume that I do?
    Because I've never met a Muslim who doesn't secretly yearn to drive Jews back into the sea. Indeed the Qur'an itself claims that Allah will do that very thing.

EDIT - and before you start, no I'm not a Jew.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's a stereotypical view which asserts that Muslims hate Jews- a false misconception.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam_boy)
    It's a stereotypical view which asserts that Muslims hate Jews- a false misconception.
    Experience talking to Muslim students and world events testify otherwise.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't going to start, what with your league table of religions I already guessed.

By the way if I had a leauge table it'd probably be Islam: Christianity and Judaism: All the rest.

My point is, I'd be more likely to 'secretly yearn' for bad things to happen to you rather than a Jew.( PS> if it's secret, how did you find out? If you don't want to hand out your mind reading skills willy-nilly pm me, I'm interested.)

If you want to see my opinion on Israel, if that's what you're talking about see post 51 in the 'Attacks on Muslims have soared in London since the 7 July bombings' thread.

You however seem pretty hateful.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    OK, extrapolating your "experience" to the global muslim community would seem perfectly rational, wouldn't it?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ayaan)
    I wasn't going to start, what with your league table of religions I already guessed.

By the way if I had a leauge table it'd probably be Islam: Christianity and Judaism: All the rest.

My point is, I'd be more likely to 'secretly yearn' for bad things to happen to you rather than a Jew.( PS> if it's secret, how did you find out? If you don't want to hand out your mind reading skills willy-nilly pm me, I'm interested.)

If you want to see my opinion on Israel, if that's what you're talking about see post 51 in the 'Attacks on Muslims have soared in London since the 7 July bombings' thread.

You however seem pretty hateful.
    I dont hate people who are mentally ill.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam_boy)
    OK, extrapolating your "experience" to the global muslim community would seem perfectly rational, wouldn't it?
    It's called induction. Do a google search on it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Watcher)
    I dont hate people who are mentally ill.
    And I've yet to recieve a pm from you on your special secret yearning monitor. I may be mentally ill, but I'm still sharp as a tack.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    mmm, rather not
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ayaan)
    And I've yet to recieve a pm from you on your special secret yearning monitor. I may be mentally ill, but I'm still sharp as a tack.
    There's no magic to it. You're a Muslim. Hence you hate anything with individuality. Like me.
Updated: August 8, 2005
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.