The Student Room Group
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester

mmu halls and deposit .....

hi all, i decided to email mmu today about how much the deposit is and when we have to pay etc.... thought some of you might find this useful..

Dear Ronika,

Thank you for your email, once accommodation has been allocated, you will be contacted
via email to the address you have provided on your application. If you have been offered a
place in Halls, you will need to respond to the information on the email, this will
include accepting accommodation and in doing so, you will need to pay £100 booking fee
that is offset against your final instalment of rent. This £100 secures your
accommodation. After you have accepted and paid, you will receive an email closer to the
moving-in dates regarding your Hall payment. Here you are able to either pay all your
accommodation fees upfront, pay the first instalment or set up a Direct Debit. If you
choose the last 2 options, payments are taken in 3 instalments: one in advance or on
arrival into Halls (the direct debit option allows you to pay a few days later which may
be a better option in order for your student loan to arrive). The second instalment is due
when you arrive back in January, and the third is due after Easter. However, all this
information will be given to you when accommodation has been allocated and we are aware
that students only receive their loans after enrolling at the university. This information
is also all on our accommodation website.
I hope this answers your query.

Regards,
Rekha

Accommodation Office
Customer Services
Cavendish Hall
Cavendish Street
Manchester
M15 6BG
Tel: 00 44 161 247 2958
Fax: 00 44 161 247 6865
Email: [email protected]
Web: www.mmu.ac.uk/accommodation

"Before acting on this email or opening any attachments you
should read the Manchester Metropolitan University's email
disclaimer available on its website
http://www.mmu.ac.uk/emaildisclaimer "

>>> Ronika Patel <> 07/07/2009 14:48 >>>

Hello,

i understand from forums online that prospective students will be allocated by the end of
July. i am hoping to move into Oxford Court. I would like to know how much the deposit is
and when you have to pay it? because im sure student loans do not get given to students
before they are actually registered at uni?

Regards

Ronika

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
nice one :biggrin:
Manchester
Reply 2
I'm a bit worried about money ect so this is great help
Reply 3
s'alrighttt x
Reply 4
You have to pay the £100 asap, halls aren't bothered when you get your student loans they generally expect you to have saved up money or whatever. The £100 is a security deposit, you won't have a place if you don't pay it. BUT you can get a student account when you've got an acceptance letter so you can get an overdraft. Your first rent installment will be before you get your loan (usually) so you have to speak to the halls yourself to rearrange the payment schedule, they're usually lenient with this as it's £1000+
Cheers, good info to have. £100 aint too bad, thought it would be more.
Reply 6
The 100 is easy :]
Reply 7
squeak
You have to pay the £100 asap, halls aren't bothered when you get your student loans they generally expect you to have saved up money or whatever. The £100 is a security deposit, you won't have a place if you don't pay it. BUT you can get a student account when you've got an acceptance letter so you can get an overdraft. Your first rent installment will be before you get your loan (usually) so you have to speak to the halls yourself to rearrange the payment schedule, they're usually lenient with this as it's £1000+

No one should really worry about paying the first installment, if your student loan doesnt come through on time they aint going to just throw you out :smile:
Reply 8
paul1989
No one should really worry about paying the first installment, if your student loan doesnt come through on time they aint going to just throw you out :smile:

:] Would be unfair that is true.
Reply 9
squeak

yeah i was more talkin bout the 1000+ first installment aswel..

ive got my student account already.

yeah if you set up a direct debit you get a few more days to pay it.
or i can jus get my mum to pay it then pay her bk when the loan comes thru.
Reply 10
Dubstepper

I dont think it really matters, they will take the money when it is in your account. If you are recieve most of the student loans then they will just take it when it is in the bank. A lot of ppl get their student loans weeks after moving in due to them applying late but im positive they wont be thrown out on the street by the uni
Reply 11
paul1989

I didn't say anything about worrying :s-smilie: I said that they'll let you pay later because they understand loans don't come in till after the payment date.

Dubstepper

Sorry your post was a bit confusing I thought you were only talking about the £100 deposit. Which you're overdraft will cover easily.

I don't see why can't you just speak to your halls manager, literally all my friends had to do that, they'll let you pay when your loan comes through.
Reply 12
paul1989
I dont think it really matters, they will take the money when it is in your account. If you are recieve most of the student loans then they will just take it when it is in the bank. A lot of ppl get their student loans weeks after moving in due to them applying late but im positive they wont be thrown out on the street by the uni

yeah but obviously you only give them account details off the account u want money coming out of.
also they cant jus take money 'when its in there' they have to agree a date with you. and yes i knw they wont throw you out if you pay up straightaway. :|
Reply 13
paul1989

They're not going to just keep checking when you have money in your account, even if they could do that, they have hundres of students to take payments off. If you set up a direct debit you'll be charged if you don't have the money in the account by the bank and possibly your halls. People won't be thrown out on the street but it causes a lot of hassle in charges and payments when you can just tell the finance manager at your halls that you're going to have to pay on a certain date when your loan comes through.
Reply 14
squeak
I didn't say anything about worrying :s-smilie: I said that they'll let you pay later because they understand loans don't come in till after the payment date.

Sorry your post was a bit confusing I thought you were only talking about the £100 deposit. Which you're overdraft will cover easily.

I don't see why can't you just speak to your halls manager, literally all my friends had to do that, they'll let you pay when your loan comes through.

i have the hundred pound.. i wanted to know when you had to pay it.. so i knw when i have to get a bankers cheque. and i dont need to wait for loans to come through to pay for accom..
Reply 15
Dubstepper
i have the hundred pound.. i wanted to know when you had to pay it.. so i knw when i have to get a bankers cheque. and i dont need to wait for loans to come through to pay for accom..

Lol I have the hundred pound too, im terrible at keeping money and its been sitting waiting for them to take but they are just so slow haah
Reply 16
Im all confused with the stuff in this thread and I think I have confused ppl further haha. Anyways im sure we will all be fine with the accom payments:smile:
Reply 17
LOL why are you confuseD?
Reply 18
Dubstepper

O..k you said before that you meant the first installation as well, so I don't get why you're asking if you can afford to pay that. If you're asking about dates it's all in the email.

After you have accepted and paid, you will receive an email closer to the moving-in dates regarding your Hall payment.

If you have been offered a place in Halls, you will need to respond to the information on the email, this will include accepting accommodation and in doing so, you will need to pay £100 booking fee that is offset against your final instalment of rent. This £100 secures your accommodation.

Firstly, have you been offered a place?

You follow the instructions on that email to give your details and to secure your place, this is when you have to pay the £100. Essentially the longer you leave it the less chance you are of securing your place in that accommodation. If you want a proper deadline ring up MMU accommodation and ask them.
Reply 19
Im fairly sure they give you a week to pay the £100 after the offer of accom. Obv if u cant u wud just ring them up

Latest

Trending

Trending