The Student Room Group

Glaciation help :)

I started revising glaciation this morning, and I'm fine with erosional landforms, and fluvio-glacial landforms, haven't done periglacial yet, but I'm finding the depositional landforms a bit tricky.

I can distinguish between lodgement and ablation till, medial, lateral and terminal moraine, but I just wondered if anyone knew all the landforms we need to know? Because other than drumlins, erratics (and the several types of moraine - so of which I may have missed), I'm a bit confused :redface: Have I missed any?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Strumpet
I started revising glaciation this morning, and I'm fine with erosional landforms, and fluvio-glacial landforms, haven't done periglacial yet, but I'm finding the depositional landforms a bit tricky.

I can distinguish between lodgement and ablation till, medial, lateral and terminal moraine, but I just wondered if anyone knew all the landforms we need to know? Because other than drumlins, erratics (and the several types of moraine - so of which I may have missed), I'm a bit confused :redface: Have I missed any?

not really, they are the main ones i think :top:

woooooo! glaciation :biggrin::biggrin:
Reply 3
:smile: Thanks, Sam!

Just to be clear:

Glacial?
Drumlins
Erratics

Fluvioglacial?
Eskers
Kames and Kettles
Moraine
Outwash Plain
Rock Flour
Varves

Which one does braided streams come under?
Reply 4
fluvioglacial, as it is caused by melt water streams :smile:
Reply 5
Sam_B
fluvioglacial, as it is caused by melt water streams :smile:

Thankyou very much! :smile:
Reply 6
What's push moraine? :confused:
Reply 7
Push Moraine
Push moraines are only formed by glaciers that have retreated and then advance again. The existance of a push moraine is usually evidence of the climate becomming poorer after a relatively warm period. Material that had already been deposited is shoved up into a pile as the ice advances, and because most morain material was deposited by falling down not pushing up, there are characteristic differences in the orientation of rocks within a push moraine. A key feature enabling a push moraine to be identified is individual rocks that have been pushed upwards from their original horizontal positions.

:biggrin:

its all in the link i gave u ellie :smile:
Reply 8
Never mind! I know now :smile:
I'm trying to get case studies for all the landforms.
Has anyone got them for
1. U-Shaped valley
2. Roches moutonnees
3. Drumlins
4. Recessional moraine
5. Lateral moraine
6. Medial moraine
7. Push moraine
Reply 9
Strumpet
Never mind! I know now :smile:
I'm trying to get case studies for all the landforms.
Has anyone got them for
1. U-Shaped valley
2. Roches moutonnees
3. Drumlins
4. Recessional moraine
5. Lateral moraine
6. Medial moraine
7. Push moraine

lol, thats a big ask.

i'll have a look :biggrin:
Reply 10
I'm driving myself mad with this! I need case studies for braided streams and kettle holes too!

I'm trying to do periglaciation as well, need case studies for these! :eek: Which are features of erosion and which are of deposition? Or are they all of weathering? I've confused myself so much!
Nivation hollows
Ice wedges
Segregated ice
Piprake
Pattenred ground
Pingos
Solifluxion
Blockfields

No idea how I'm going to remember any of this! MASSIVE rep for any help!
Reply 11
what do u want in the case study?

just an example? how much detail?
Reply 12
Sam_B
what do u want in the case study?

just an example? how much detail?

Not massive depth, but enough for level 5 on the essays! Just an example will do for now, I can research them a bit further.
Reply 13
Strumpet
Not massive depth, but enough for level 5 on the essays! Just an example will do for now, I can research them a bit further.

ok :smile:
Reply 14
http://www.fettes.com/Cairngorms/index.htm

take a look here for Roches moutonnées, Corries, Glacial Valleys, Glacial erratics, Moraines, Till, Eskers, Outwash terraces, Kame terrace...well basically everything lol :biggrin:

let me know if it is any good
Reply 15
Thanks Sam! You're the best! I'm trying to get a case study for every erosional and depotional feature of glacial, fluvioglacial and periglacial processes, but it's easier said than done! I might just give up on periglacial, it's just confusing me, and hopefull I'll just be able to do the other essay!
Reply 16
Ok, all I've got left to do is
Medial moraine -
Push moraine -
Recessional moraine -

I can't find clear case studies of these on that website, or google :mad:
Reply 17
medial moraine- around the Mendenhall Glacier in Alaska.

recessional moraine- around Harris Peninsula, Kenai Fjords National Park, Kenai Mountains, Alaska

push moraine- around Harriman Glacier in Chugach National Forest, Alaska

http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/2004/1216/m/m.html
Reply 18
Thanks! I'll give you rep when I next can :smile:
Reply 19
Ok, another question :biggrin:

For these landforms, which are lodgement till features, and which are ablation?

Drumlin (lodgement?)
Eratics (Ablation?)
Lateral
Medial
Push
Recessional moraines?

Latest

Trending

Trending