The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Who here has no interest of nightlife like me?Come to help choose accommodation!

I am a little surprised at most UK students being so interested in nightlife, I personally prefer to go for a classic music concert rather than haning out all night at bars:o: Besides, I am not even allowed in coz I am uner 18 ..... I am trying to find an accommodation that is not so lively but also not filled with nerds and the dull(Actually, I am not a nerd. As opposed to nightlife, I am quite fond of "daylife", like visiting museums or something...). Any suggestions? I have already put Prembridge, Garden, Weeks down and there are still two more blanks.:rolleyes:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
South|Eastside is closest to the main campus, and therefore (I think...?) the music halls/museums, etc. However, they're the priciest and 'apparently' full of dull nerds, lol. If you end up with 'dull' people in your hall, you'll always have coursemates with whom you'll probably get along.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
wudanao
I am a little surprised at most UK students being so interested in nightlife, I personally prefer to go for a classic music concert rather than haning out all night at bars:o: Besides, I am not even allowed in coz I am uner 18 ..... I am trying to find an accommodation that is not so lively but also not filled with nerds and the dull(Actually, I am not a nerd. As opposed to nightlife, I am quite fond of "daylife", like visiting museums or something...). Any suggestions? I have already put Prembridge, Garden, Weeks down and there are still two more blanks.:rolleyes:

Hey! I have the same problem, I am not really interested in nightlife, overdrinking or those kind of things, while I am really interested in some activities such as photography, classical music, martial arts, museums...

I think that the best options would be Southside, Eastside, and the closer halls, because they are near the best museums in London, the Hyde Park (I would love to go running there some days) and the Royal Albert Hall (there are lots of classical music events there).:smile:

Where are you from and what will you be studying?
Reply 3
Every hall will have loads of people who love going out clubbing etc but also those who don't like that sort of thing. However during Fresher's week it's probably best to go to the socials organised by the halls because this is the easiest way of meeting new people.
Reply 4
wudanao

well seeing as your from china, i would say that your upbringing is totally different to that people from england so obv you would be interested in different things. Maybe its because you havent really been that much or even at all(i dont know if you have or not obviously) that thats why you dont enjoy it. its a good way to be social thought, even if you cant hear anyone half the time lol
Reply 5
To be honest you sound fairly (read:very) nerdy. I mean classical music and museums ? And you're going to imperial :tongue: You'll want to avoid wilson at least, and probably also fisher, beit, southwell and pembridge, based on them being the most social of halls.
Reply 6
If you're more of a day person, then Wilson House is good, as you're really close to Hyde Park, Edgeware Road, Oxford Street, there's a music room with piano, a connected sports centre, etc, plus it's one of the cheapest single rooms you'll get at Imperial.

(EDIT: Nerdy does not mean being unsocial, to the poster above me)
Reply 7
Yeah, if you end up in Pembridge wudanao I would highly recommend you go find your own accommodation because the mere fact that there are only two kitchens between 80 people means that if you don't get friendly with those who use the same one as yours you're going to be very lonely. When I was there the kitchen was essentially a predrinking area and the vast majority of those who used it were keen on clubbing/pubs/moderate drinking.
Reply 8
Beijing nightlife is not a good test of measure to see if you would like London nightlife or not x_X
Reply 9
marcosgll
Hey! I have the same problem, I am not really interested in nightlife, overdrinking or those kind of things, while I am really interested in some activities such as photography, classical music, martial arts, museums...

I think that the best options would be Southside, Eastside, and the closer halls, because they are near the best museums in London, the Hyde Park (I would love to go running there some days) and the Royal Albert Hall (there are lots of classical music events there).:smile:

Er,really nice to know people like you and me, but can you recommend any cheaper halls which prices about 140pounds a week?
Reply 10
spex
To be honest you sound fairly (read:very) nerdy. I mean classical music and museums ? And you're going to imperial :tongue: You'll want to avoid wilson at least, and probably also fisher, beit, southwell and pembridge, based on them being the most social of halls.

Well, I can perfectly understad your viewpoint towrds people like me:biggrin:
But I just think we are just devoting our time and passion into different areas. Say, I am addicted to headphones(which I know is very abnormal),I have been supporting Manchester United for more than 5 years, I play a little piano, I am very fond of Japanese annimation. I have encountered a lot of nerds since young( Chinese education system is very good at fostering nerds), but my parents and I are always avoiding being this kind of peope, so I suppose you will find me interesting( or unique, but at least not dull) if you get to know me:rolleyes:
Reply 11
marcosgll

Sorry did not see your this question..
I am from Beijing( the Capital of China) and my major is Maths..Are you a Londoner?
Reply 12
w-inds
Beijing nightlife is not a good test of measure to see if you would like London nightlife or not x_X

Well, apart from drinking in the bar, what else do the nightlife mainly involve?
Nightlife is awesome, it's not the bread and butter, but it's the cherry on top (if that makes sense).
Reply 14
Barz
well seeing as your from china, i would say that your upbringing is totally different to that people from england so obv you would be interested in different things. Maybe its because you havent really been that much or even at all(i dont know if you have or not obviously) that thats why you dont enjoy it. its a good way to be social thought, even if you cant hear anyone half the time lol

Yeah, I know it is a good way to get to know people, but I just don't think I will be accustomed to this way of life. Besides, not against you, but I think my discription somehow remind some people by mistake of I being an unsocial people. Actually, I never refuse and am quite initiative to get to know and keep contact with new people that I find interesting:biggrin:
Reply 15
Rizzletastic
Nightlife is awesome, it's not the bread and butter, but it's the cherry on top (if that makes sense).[/QUOTE]
It does not to me:o:
Reply 16
wudanao
Well, apart from drinking in the bar, what else do the nightlife mainly involve?

For the majority of Beijing bars that i've been to (in 后海,三力屯,五道&#21475:wink:, compared to London bars, the atmosphere isn't as absorbing and the general experience really isn't good unless you are paying a lot of money for drinks. You can't wind down as easily in Beijing as the environment usually sucks.

It's not the drinking, it's the experience.

The clubs and pubs fall under the same category, unless you're paying a lot of money (more than English prices), you won't get near the level of quality of an equivalent English place.

All I suggest you do is give the London nightlife a try. Be open minded about it.
Reply 17
Really suprised at yo knowing more than I do about the Beijing Bar. I am not against staying late at night. In fact, I am always thinking that the night is very romantic, especially when my gf is beside me. All I am against is the alcohol, which I never find it tasty and might drive me to do or say something insane.... Anyway, if London nightlife gives me anything else apart from alcohol, I am very glad to try for a new experience...
w-inds
For the majority of Beijing bars that i've been to (in 后海,三力屯,五道&#21475:wink:, compared to London bars, the atmosphere isn't as absorbing and the general experience really isn't good unless you are paying a lot of money for drinks. You can't wind down as easily in Beijing as the environment usually sucks.

It's not the drinking, it's the experience.

The clubs and pubs fall under the same category, unless you're paying a lot of money (more than English prices), you won't get near the level of quality of an equivalent English place.

All I suggest you do is give the London nightlife a try. Be open minded about it.
Reply 18
Er, I think we are so getting off the topic now...
Having decided Garden, Weeks, Piccadilly Court,(I doubt who else came to this hall due to their own willing except me, the fact that it locates 40 minutes away from compus by tube actually scared most of the applicants...).
To avoid getting in a hall that is too loud, I am looking for Parson House, Wilson House, Southwell ,holbein hall now. Any suggestions to take two out from the 4?
Reply 19
If you're only choosing halls based on how quiet they are, I'm afraid you're going to be highly disappointed. All the halls have their party animals and none are regularly quiet.

Latest

Trending

Trending