Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

English Literature interviews.

Announcements Posted on
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    I understand that this is a very vague question because you can't see my personal statement, etc, but I have a mock Oxford interview tomorrow with my headteacher and was wondering whether anybody has any ideas what kind of questions an interviewer (for any university) is likely to ask a potential English student?

Any help would be great!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    At my Oxford interviews I wasn't asked any generic questions like 'Why English?' 'Why the Oxford course?' &c at all, and so my previous mock interview at school was completely useless in the end. Everything I was asked in Oxford related to works mentioned in my personal statement and the two poems I was given to analyse across the two interviews, so er, I can't really help. Oh, and that also applies to my UCL interview.

Aren't you the user who has written about how you dislike Shakespeare in your PS or something? I can't see Oxford tutors not bringing that up.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rainbow drops)
    At my Oxford interviews I wasn't asked any generic questions like 'Why English?' 'Why the Oxford course?' &c at all, and so my previous mock interview at school was completely useless in the end. Everything I was asked in Oxford related to works mentioned in my personal statement and the two poems I was given to analyse across the two interviews, so er, I can't really help. Oh, and that also applies to my UCL interview.

Aren't you the user who has written about how you dislike Shakespeare in your PS or something? I can't see Oxford tutors not bringing that up.
    Yes, but I've taken that out now, seemed like I was trying to be deliberately obscure when I wasn't. I'll stick to what I do actually like from now on.

Thanks for the advice, I'm guessing he will actually be asking me generic questions. Didn't you get more specific English-y questions like "what's your favourite period of Literature", or anything?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Nope. I'd already underlined a couple of literary eras in my PS anyway. The vaguest question I remember was 'what's your favourite Frank O'Hara poem?' which led me to be able to expand on my reasoning etc, but even that led to something more specific. There's no way of predicting what they'll ask you.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    OK, thank you
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rainbow drops)

exactly the same for me and Cambridge.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    QMUL asked if I'd read any interesting magazine/newpaper articles recently, and what I liked about them. (And I hadn't, so nothing, damnit).

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 8, 2009
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.