The Student Room Group

Why do people say "your first year doesn't count"?

Scroll to see replies

sigstuff
What if you do extremely well in your first year? Could they not put that towards your overall classification so you can take less modules in the other years?

This ^

Like with A Levels, if you did really well at AS, A2 was relatively straightforward :smile:

Is it the same for university? Can I do really well in the first year and then take things more relaxed in 2nd and 3rd year?
Reply 21
Because in most cases, it doesn't.
why do people say it doesnt count?

....maybe because it doesnt count?

Seriously, you're not big or clever by saying that.
A lot of the people at my uni didn’t seem to think the second year counted either! :biggrin: :biggrin:
EierVonSatan
No, it's the other way around, most of the weighting is in your final year.

will I notice *any* difference if I ace the first year? I mean, ANY difference, or is it so negligible there's no point in trying?

why am I wasting all this money if my first year means jack ****? :mad:
Reply 25
sil3nt_cha0s
Seriously, you're not big or clever by saying that.

i dont care.
i was pointing out the stupidity of the question.
its like asking why people say "its 1 o'clock"? perhaps because thats the time einstien
university isn't about learning.

its about paying for advantages in the world, and having a bloody good time doing it! :smile:
sil3nt_cha0s
Yeah, I want to get off to the correct start academically :smile:

Well don't you sound like a bundle of laughs.
if you dont have any major problems with your life, getting a 2.1 in the first year shouldnt be too difficult.

it wont look good on your cv if you dont. naturally the overall classification matters a lot more but it surely helps to demonstrate some commitment and consistency.
EierVonSatan
IF your first year doesn't count towards your degree classification then it won't make any difference to your degree.

However, getting yourself a very good grasp of your subject at an early stage will only benefit you in future.

You are not paying for a degree, you are paying for an education.

How would I find out if it does?

What if your degree teaches you largely different and unrelated stuff beyond the first year?

Education, degree, grade - same thing.
Reply 30
because your student years are your last few years of freedom before you become a cog in the corporate machine.

enjoy them while they last
it doesnt count because when your final marks are being calculated at the end of the degree, theyr not taken into account.. i think thats right :/ correct me if wrong, but yeah i agree with OP, people should really not say that! im still waiting for my results.. and i did take into account, ' it doesnt count' and kinda wasted some of the beginning of my year :/
serrellen
Well don't you sound like a bundle of laughs.

better safe than sorry :yep:
sil3nt_cha0s
better safe than sorry :yep:

No need to be quite so publicly pious about it though, really, is there? I hate people that boast about the amount of work they do and how committed they are. It's so boring.
I've looked at the degree programme and it looks incredibly scary :frown:
Reply 35
Because it doesn't count. It has no impact on your final degree whatsoever. Get drunk and have lots of casual sex or something.
sil3nt_cha0s
It was said to me on the UCL and York open days. They were like "yeah, your first year doesn't count, so just have fun and you only need like 40% to pass".

This is such a wrong attitude to take. Why are you even at university if you're hardly gonna try in your first year?

So, after that ranting, my question is - how do you know whether you first year "counts" and when should I definitely be trying my hardest?

OP I had your attitude and dont get me wrong its a great one to have but ( just finished 1st year) I tried so hard 4 a 1st got 67% when it doesnt even count. If someone scraped with 40% they would still be in the same position as me , hell if I got 40% it would change how I am feeling, it wouldnt change a thing.

What im trying to say is try and have as much fun along the way...balance it out have fun and work hard.

My friend was more relaxed than me ended up with a 1st ...I feel a little :frown: and :mad: oh well .....next year its so ON
Reply 37
I believe first year definitely counts, although it is harder to be as motivated or as used to study as when you are in latter years. But, when it comes to numbers, first year grades weigh the same as 2nd, 3rd o 4th year grades.
Reply 38
maromad89
I believe first year definitely counts, although it is harder to be as motivated or as used to study as when you are in latter years. But, when it comes to numbers, first year grades weigh the same as 2nd, 3rd o 4th year grades.

:facepalm2:
no, are you at uni.
because my first year is worth 0% 2nd 33% and 3rd 66%.
so definatly generalising if you are even at uni.
My first year counted for nothing too, but when I graduated, a list of my scores from every module in every year were given to me along with my certificate. When I was applying for PhDs my supervisor asked for it.. It made me thank my lucky stars that i hadn't disregarded my first year results like a lot of others did.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending