The Student Room Group
Cupcakee
New Look, River Island, Bay, etc etc..

Ever worked in a retail store as a sales adviser?

How did you get the job?
And how old were you at the time?

I noticed on the New Look website they state sales advisors are hired by potential employee going into the store and enquiring, would you speak to the people at the tills?

Many thanks, sorry silly question :smile:

Hi

Im currently at River Island and started there when I was 17, and it was two days before my 18th bday. Before I got the job i had applied nearly every retail place. You name it I applied there. Topman, blue-inc, republic, boots, superdrug, wilkinsons, primark, matalan and next. Most of the places didnt get back to me, i got an interview with Next and Vodaphone, the next one i thought went well, but there were loads and loads of really smart well prepared people there that day, so i guess I wasn't good enough so didnt get it. I realised after a little while, one of the big reasons i wasnt getting anywhere, was the lack of work experience, trust me when i say it is the BIGGEST thing they look at. All i had done was work experience for 2 weeks that my high school set up that everyone does, so I did voluntry work at a retail charity shop for 2 weeks, and applied for jobs again. I think in a way it was good that i had a few interviews and was knocked back, because it gave me the most valueble thing, experience.

I then went into river island and asked if there were any vacancies, it was mostly luck that they had work going at the time, so they gave me an application form, and i filled it in, i got an interview, and i do think that this was probably based largely on the fact that i now had recent work experience, as i had had a few interviews and been rejected, i performed better in the river island one, and I got the job.

Some big tips.

Never hand your CV into a sales advisor or any other member of staff, always ask for the manager.

When greeting anyone, smile, say good morning/afternoon, say who you are, and what you want, and shake the persons hand, this is crucial and will make a HUGE difference, you have no idea how many people the manager and employees get every week coming in for jobs, by looking more proffessional, you really will stand out, and they will take your CV and more likely put a post-it on it saying "was friendly" or something, which makes your cv slightly more important that the other 40 in the pile they have in thier office.

My final tip is, NEVER give up. You may get knocked down a few times, but if you perseviere you will get a job in the end.

I hope this has helped. If you have any other questions, just PM me.

Wow i havent written a post that long in ages, i hope atleast some of it is helpful to you.

oh and good luck. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending