The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Check this thread. Hope it helps and good luck.
http://thestudentroom.co.uk/t110361.html
Reply 2
when it's connected in the oposite way the chemical reactions reverse so the capacitor would not work,and it might lead it to explode you mainly have to right because the capacitor wont work if it ewas connected in the wrong polarity as it's an electrolyte capacitor
habosh
when it's connected in the oposite way the chemical reactions reverse so the capacitor would not work,and it might lead it to explode you mainly have to right because the capacitor wont work if it ewas connected in the wrong polarity as it's an electrolyte capacitor

okay thx!! it was in a past paper prac i did but i got it wrong and missed out the answer. so i should just write "incorrect polarity reverses chemical rxn's in electrolyte capacitor, so damages it"?? (1 mark Q)
Reply 4
eurasianfeline
okay thx!! it was in a past paper prac i did but i got it wrong and missed out the answer. so i should just write "incorrect polarity reverses chemical rxn's in electrolyte capacitor, so damages it"?? (1 mark Q)

nah i guess the nswer is because it might damage the capcitor if it's connected in the worng polarity they may also say correct if you just said it wont work if you connected i the wrong polarity
habosh
nah i guess the nswer is because it might damage the capcitor if it's connected in the worng polarity they may also say correct if you just said it wont work if you connected i the wrong polarity

i wrote that it would damage the capacitor and it was wrong...
Reply 6
So there's more to the mechanism of a manufactured capacitor than just two close condusting plates? Interesting.... never knew that
Reply 7
mik1w
So there's more to the mechanism of a manufactured capacitor than just two close condusting plates? Interesting.... never knew that

thats what my teacher explained to me :confused:
mik1w

yeah - depends on the type of capacitor. If you look at the other linked thread I think I did a whole spiel on how electrolytic capacitors work :rolleyes: :smile:
Reply 9
i done that paper yr talking about and the correct answer in the markscheme was -it is a electrolytic capacitor(1mark) but i would write abit more anyway :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending