Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Official "Oh NOES MY UKCAT SCORE SUCKS" the end is nigh Thread

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Mod edit: Please note that this post was written in 2009 and hence some of the information is likely to be out of date. For the most up to date information about the UKCAT please see here.

First up, don't worry. If you have a below average UKCAT score, there are still institutions that will take you. Yes, even the ones that use the UKCAT.

EDIT: By bad I mean anything between 599 - 500.

So your options are:

1) Non-UKCAT Universities:

- Which include BMAT Uni's:
    • UCL
    • Imperial
    • Oxbridge

-Non-Aptitude Test Unis:
    • Birmingham (7A* Min needed)
    • Liverpool
    • Apparently Bristol (if this is wrong, hang Degauser for me)

2) UKCAT Unis:

Now, with this one, you have to search for uni's that don't put an emphasis on the UKCAT.

• Keele (Need 4 A's in GCSE)
    • Aberdeen (8% weighting)
    • St. Andrews
    • St. Georges (Interview stage is tough, loads of competition)
    • Dundee
    • Southampton (SOTON)
    • UEA
    • Cardiff [Used to differentiate between similar candidates]
    • Some other ones. Hopefully the others will fill me in.
    • Apparently, Hull & York

(Original post by !MEna)
    Add Leicester to the list. A subset score in the 500's scores 3/5 in their UKCAT criteria when they shortlist applicants for an interview. Scoring an overall of 16/20 in the UKCAT, personal statement, reference and academia categories will get you an interview.
    Unis to Avoid:
    • Kings (Unless you have 10A*)
    • Brighton and Sussex Medical School [Read Exerpt Below regarding BSMS]
    • Barts and London
    • Sheffield (Need about 660 to possibly 670 to pass the cut-off)
    • Manchester
    • Some other ones.

Note Regarding Brighton and Sussex Medical School
    Spoiler:
    Show

(Original post by !MEna)
    That just proves that it's not all about the grades. BSMS are big on personal statements and character - individual qualities.
    I think I played it way too safe with my personal statement.

It might interest you and other applicants to see the feedback I received from them:

Dear Mena,

Thank you for your email regarding your unsuccessful application to BSMS.

Your application was considered an eligible one (passed step 1 of the process described on www.bsms.ac.uk) and was sent to two of our assessors. Because the scores returned were relatively close to, but just below, the interview threshold it was subsequently sent to a third assessor. The mean score returned was 24/30, which compares to an overall average for our A level applicants of 21-22/30 but an interview borderline during the main UCAS cycle of above 25/30. Applicants with scores of 24.5/30 or above were placed on our Reserve List, and those with scores below this returned to UCAS as unsuccessful.

In summary there was nothing at all wrong with your application, which was considered a very strong one. Unfortunately just too many others were considered even stronger. The context of course is that this year there are nearly 20,000 applicants competing for the 7,500 places in the 31 UK medical schools. If our applicants are any guide, a very high proportion of the applicants are very well qualified both academically and non-academically, so the competition is severe, and many excellent applicants unplaced. This level of competition is fully reflected at BSMS.

However, if you end up without a place there are broadly three options:

1. With the right A level grades, take a gap year and re-apply. Lots of people do this, and with the right grades chances of at least interviews are pretty high. It is important to have gap year plans in place by September - these will strengthen the non-academic aspects of your application. We have quite a lot of students who have entered this way.

2. Again with the right A level grades, progress to a BSc degree, but you can still apply to some medical schools (e.g. BSMS) in your first year on the basis of the A levels you have already achieved. You will be at university, so you won't have the gap year plans to help, but just having the A level grades in hand rather than predicted grades will help many candidates.

3. Complete a BSc degree, get high grades, and reapply to medicine as a graduate entrant. Here good A levels may improve your chances, but quite modest A levels can be OK if you do well at university. This too is an entirely credible entry route - 3yr BSc + 4 year on a graduate-entry medicine degree is no longer than the standard route with a gap year (gap year + 5 yr + 1 yr for intercalated BSc) and graduates seem to be doing very well on course pretty well everywhere.

I am sorry that I cannot be more helpful, but I hope that this at least provides the context to our decision.

Kind regards,

Sue Woods
    BSMS Senior Admissions Officer

That makes it...
    - 0.5 short from getting a place on the BSMS reserve list.
    - 1.0 short from getting an interview at BSMS.
    - 0.6 short in S2 of the BMAT from being a guaranteed interview at UCL.

It just shows how close and tough it gets when you apply to medical school. I feel really, really lucky that I eventually got an offer from George's. It's humbling, it really is...and anyway, I'd rather go to George's, merry, merry George's!

Notable Mentions: I know Newcastle seems to be a popular choice for a lot of you. I think I should mention that Newcastle scores the UKCAT as part of their criteria for an interview. The score is given after ranking your UKCAT score compared to their other candidates.

This year a candidate got an offer with 610 in the UKCAT at Newcastle.

So all in all, if you get poor UKCAT grades its not the end of the world. It just means you might have to change your plans around a bit.

EDIT 3: Love you guys/gals who repped me. :love:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    -Non-Aptitude Test Unis:
    Birmingham (7A* Min needed)
    Liverpool
    Bristol :p:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Degausser)
    -Non-Aptitude Test Unis:
    Birmingham (7A* Min needed)
    Liverpool
    Bristol :p:
    you sure its Bristol?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    So if I have a GOOD UKCAT then I should go for the ones you said to avoid with the poor UKCAT?

Kings (Unless you have 10A*)
    Brighton and Sussex Medical School
    Barts and London
    Newcastle
    Some other ones.

I find that quite good...

I would love to get into King's or Barts.

Spoiler:
    Show
    I am applying for Dentistry btw, that also requires the UKCAT
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baki)
    you sure its Bristol?
    Yes,

Brum, Liv and Bristol do not require the UKCAT!

Edit: This does not mean they will be easier to get in! If anything it will be harder...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    St Andrews use UKCAT as 10% of decision, which isn't that much really.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Examboy*)
    So if I have a GOOD UKCAT then I should go for the ones you said to avoid with the poor UKCAT?

Kings (Unless you have 10A*)
    Brighton and Sussex Medical School
    Barts and London
    Newcastle
    Some other ones.

I find that quite good...

I would love to get into King's or Barts.

Spoiler:
    Show
    I am applying for Dentistry btw, that also requires the UKCAT
    :rofl: Dentistry :rofl:

Ahem..Yeah. Apply to those ones. But be warned, Kings uses A* + UKCAT to shortlist for interview. Newcastle ranks people using UKCAT score.

You might want to apply to SOTON as well.

Leceister takes your lowest UKCAT section and ranks individuals that way (thats how you get a score for UKCAT(out of 5). But to get an interview you need a certain value out of 20, so this includes PS etc..)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baki)
    :rofl: Dentistry :rofl:

Ahem..Yeah. Apply to those ones. But be warned, Kings uses A* + UKCAT to shortlist for interview. Newcastle ranks people using UKCAT score.

You might want to apply to SOTON as well.

Leceister takes your lowest UKCAT section and ranks individuals that way (thats how you get a score for UKCAT(out of 5). But to get an interview you need a certain value out of 20, so this includes PS etc..)
    What exactly is wrong with Dentistry?...:confused:

And does King's specify how many A*'s they want or what ever or have some kind of points system?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    What exactly is wrong with Dentistry?...:confused:

And does King's specify how many A*'s they want or what ever or have some kind of points system?
    Nothing. I was just playing on the cliche of how dentist aren't real doctors blah blah...I guess you didn't get the joke.

Umm back to Kings, no they don't specify anything. To be honest, this is just based on this years application experience.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Is the 10A* thing for King's just an arbitary figure, or is there some sort of cut-off for interview selection?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dersire3)
    LOL dont think i didnt read what you wrote before editing your post you nasty
    Get your trollin' ass out of here.

Kthnx Bye.

(Original post by Ignoramus)
    Is the 10A* thing for King's just an arbitary figure, or is there some sort of cut-off for interview selection?
    Not from Kings, but from my experience.

If you get a bad UKCAT score (Like 540) don't apply unless you have 10A*. This is because I know someone who got an interview with about those grades.
    • 58 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not necessarily, it just means that you have more options available to you.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonnyofengland)
    Not necessarily, it just means that you have more options available to you.
    Don't listen to Johnny :awesome:

Apply to the ones with a strong emphasis since there will be less people to compete with at the interview stage. <3
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Baki you are super cool for making this thread.

Now i have somewhere to moan and whinge in a months time.

<3
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.)

<3
    Woot I shall do the same; let's form a club of people who are just bad at the UKCAT!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.)

<3
    Show this appreciation through presents and rep pleae.

Kthnx.

(Original post by cruciform)
    748 would be cool
    Yes it would be, and the guy who posted that score probably doesn't even have that.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baki)

Apply to the ones with a strong emphasis since there will be less people to compete with at the interview stage. <3
    Well thats a load of ********. That just means everyone with a strong UKCAT will apply there meaning increased competition (theoretically).

Apply where you fit the profile AND where you really want to go. Just base your choice because of flawed logic in getting an offer.
    • 58 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baki)

Nonsense. If someone really likes the course structures of, say, Oxford or Keele, then they shouldn't not apply there simply because they got a good UKCAT score.

Similarly, you shouldn't apply to Barts if you hate the course just because you might get in.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Degausser)
    Well thats a load of ********. That just means everyone with a strong UKCAT will apply there meaning increased competition (theoretically).

Apply where you fit the profile AND where you really want to go. Just base your choice because of flawed logic in getting an offer.
    Don't listen to Degausser because he agrees with Johhnny. :awesome: <3

The strong UKCAT ones like Kings, Barts, Newcastle always get a load of people who aren't informed/want to go there badly applying to them with low UKCAT scores. Because of this you end up with less people at the interview stage.

Although don't take my word for it, do some damn research. Thats lesson number 2 for your kids, don't take peoples word for it.

(Original post by jonnyofengland)
    Nonsense. If someone really likes the course structures of, say, Oxford or Keele, then they shouldn't not apply there simply because they got a good UKCAT score.

Similarly, you shouldn't apply to Barts if you hate the course just because you might get in.
    Well if they want to go there badly, why not apply. All I'm saying is you've got a better chance playing to your strengths.

And Barts gave like 60% offers at the interview stage this year, so that just goes to show, playing to your strengths help sometimes.

In regards to course structure, you can't really make any decisions on that yet, especially since no ones actually experienced what PBL is actually like.
    Its like hating porridge before actually trying it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baki)
    Don't listen to Degausser because he agrees with Johhnny. :awesome: <3

The strong UKCAT ones like Kings, Barts, Newcastle always get a load of people who aren't informed/want to go there badly applying to them with low UKCAT scores. Because of this you end up with less people at the interview stage.

Although don't take my word for it, do some damn research. Thats lesson number 2 for your kids, don't take peoples word for it.
    Thats completely illogical. You're ignoring the idea that lots of people with good CAT scores will apply there because they think its an automatic path to interview, thus increasing the competition regardless.

The second point is very true though.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 10, 2014
New on TSR

What is sixth form like?

Share your story!

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.